Your Favorite and Most Used Recipes

Alright, since after this week I’m going to be a full-time SAHM, I’m trying to get more into cooking. I actually don’t mind it, but I’ve never been able to practice enough to get good at it. Looking for some of your favorite family meals to make. I will have to get on and post mine a little later as DD isn’t going to cooperate with me doing so right now, but I have ones for Skyline Chilli, Meatloaf, Cheesy Potatoes, Balsalmic glazed chicken, chicken alfredo and chicken parmesan with marinara that I like and can do a good job with. Anyone got any good casserole or crock pot meals? I want to learn how to make a good roast with potatoes and carrots, but I don’t even know which kind of meat to buy. I’m kind of limited to what I know whcih is ground beef and chicken, so I’d like to branch out. Any help is appreciated!!

for a good beef pot roast in the slow cooker, I always buy a beef chuck roast. Cuts that are called “chuck” are high in fat and so turn into tender, fall apart meat in the slow cooker with the low and slow cooking times.

really when you go to the store and are looking at cuts of beef for the slow cooker you want to find something with lots of fat and “marbling”. Not only are they cheap but they cook up well in the slow cooker.

for a healthier option, pork loin actually turns out well! I tried it for the first time a few weeks ago and was pleasantly surprised. I made pork tacos and they were the bomb! :smiley:

This is one of my all-time favorite recipes. :D

Chicken and Vegetable pasta

Sautee some seasoned chicken tenders or sliced chicken breast meat in a skillet with olive oil. When the chicken is almost but not quite done, add a little more olive oil and your sliced vegetables. For the vegetables, use whatever you have on hand. My favorite combo is onions, mushrooms, sliced and diced zucchini, sun-dried tomatoes and broccoli florets. (I cut the florets in half so they're more bite-sized and cook quicker.) Sautee with the chicken for just a few minutes, until the vegetables are tender but not too soft.

Meanwhile, boil a bag of penne or rigatoni pasta. When the pasta is al dente add it to the chicken and vegetables along with 1/8 cup - 1/4 cup of the water you cooked the pasta in. Next, stir in 1/2 cup or more of grated parmesan cheese. (More or less depending on how much water you put in and how much sauce you want.) Stir all this together for a few more minutes over medium heat until the water reduces. This will leave you with an awesome creamy alfredo sauce, that's a cinch to make.

A roast is easy - This is what my mother taught me: I just get a big chunk of whatever meat I want (I love lamb), and cook it in a moderate oven for about 1 hour per kilogram. I’ve also done it in the crockpot, and got meat that just fell apart (lovely). After cooking, it’s important to leave it to rest before cutting, or it will be dry, because the juice doesn’t have time to be re-absorbed (or something like that). With lamb, you can spike holes in it, and put shards of garlic and rosemary in. With beef, you can rub strong herbs and salt with some oil over the outside. For a roast chicken, I love to fill the cavity with a lemon and an onion, chopped in two or three. It makes it very tender.

To make gravy, I pour the juices from the roast into a flat pan, add some (2 tablespoons?) flour and a bit of water, and stir over a low heat for about 10 minutes. I have added wine, for extra flavour, and if you put things on the meat, they will flavour the gravy as well. Add flour or water if needed to thicken or thin the gravy, remembering that it will gradually thicken because of the flour. As you cut the meat, continue to pour the juices into the gravy.

As for roast veggies, I’m not an expert, but the potatoes are good if they are parboiled (partly cooked) before they are roasted. Cook until starting to get soft, then strain them and leave them to dry for a while. When they stop steaming, put the lid on the pan and shake them to rough up the edges. This makes more crunchy crust. Then put them into the baking tray with some heated oil and stick them in the oven, cook for 50 minutes, turning occasionally. The other veggies don’t need to be parboiled, just cook in pre-heated oil for 50 minutes, turning occasionally. Also, try cooking in equal parts oil, golden syrup and water.:thumbsup:

For what it’s worth, my friend taught me that the most successful cooking happens when you’re organised before you start. She chops all the veggies, measures all ingredients and works out the timing, then she starts. I also try to do this, with varying success.:rolleyes:

[quote="OSUbride0708, post:1, topic:188352"]
Alright, since after this week I'm going to be a full-time SAHM, I'm trying to get more into cooking. I actually don't mind it, but I've never been able to practice enough to get good at it. Looking for some of your favorite family meals to make. I will have to get on and post mine a little later as DD isn't going to cooperate with me doing so right now, but I have ones for Skyline Chilli, Meatloaf, Cheesy Potatoes, Balsalmic glazed chicken, chicken alfredo and chicken parmesan with marinara that I like and can do a good job with. Anyone got any good casserole or crock pot meals? I want to learn how to make a good roast with potatoes and carrots, but I don't even know which kind of meat to buy. I'm kind of limited to what I know whcih is ground beef and chicken, so I'd like to branch out. Any help is appreciated!!

[/quote]

if you want to do a beef roast, an "arm roast" is very easy to find and cooks up very tender. Whole roast chicken is very good with roasted potatoes and carrots, too!

Pork is a wonderful addition to a menu rotation. I can get whole pork loin for 1.99/lb, and then I either roast the loin (3-4 lb at a time-- makes yummy sandwiches leftover) or cut it into 1 inch chops. We also LOVE to roast a pork shoulder, sometimes called a boston butt... I can get this for less than $1/lb. You just put it in the oven, covered but with no added water, and let it cook for at least 4 hours. Tons of left overs, for another roast meal, or shredded into bbq sandwiches. Have you tried your hand at meatballs? Another one you can make tons, and then freeze them (already all cooked)... so easy to thaw and reheat with your sauce: Dinner in under half an hour.

I cook this recipe at least once every other week. It is easy and a family favorite! :slight_smile:

Taco Soup

1 lb. lean ground beef/turkey/chicken
1/2 cup diced onion
15 oz. can tomato sauce
15 oz. can dark red kidney beans
15 oz. can whole kernel corn
1 pkg. taco seasoning
1 tsp. garlic powder

corn tortilla chips
shredded cheddar cheese

Brown ground beef and onion. Drain. Add next 5 ingredients. Cook over medium/low heat 1 hour. Spoon into bowls and top individual servings with cheddar cheese. Use chips instead of spoons to eat. :slight_smile:

Crock pot veggie soup... you can make it with or without mean - I buy the meat that is already in cubes for stews and just cut them into smaller pieces. Also - you can use fresh (although i've never done it) frozen or canned veggies. We get whatever is on sale.

And you just dump it all in the crock pot and go.

great thing is - you can adapt to your own likings. i'm not a veggie person so i put more corn and potatoes in.

meat
a couple bullion cubes - depending on how much you are making. prepared according to package

corn
potatoes
carrots
beans
peas
etc.....
tomatoes - the last few times i've used the crushed italian i believe - adds more flavoring
can of tomato paste, i usually put in with the bullion after its dissolved to help "melt" the paste.

i throw it all in and then add water to fill it up. sometimes theres not a lot of room so its more like stew - others there is. i have a big pot so i use about 3 cans of each of the veggies (i dont use carrots or peas).

i think that's everything... it really is very adaptable :-) takes a couple hours on high. i usually cook the meat a bit on the stove first then throw it in.

I love the website allrecipes.com. Here are some of my faves from there. Always read the reviews too for good tips and alterations.

Pesto Cheesy Chicken Rolls

Slow Cooker Chicken and Dumplings

Chicken Angelo

Beefy Biscuit Cups

Slow Cooker Italian Beef for Sandwiches

Easy Mac and Cheese Muffins

Spinach and Rice Alfredo

Awesome Honey Pecan Pork Chops

The site also has a great function where you can search by what ingredients you want.

i have a hard time finding crock pot recipes i like because i try to avoid the "can of cream whatever" soups but i really like this one:

Chicken & Wild Rice Soup 3 cans (14 1/2 ounces each) chicken broth
1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts or thighs, cut into bite-size pieces
2 cups water
1 cup sliced celery
1 cup diced carrots
1 pkg. (6 ounces) converted long grain & wild rice mix with seasoning packet
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/2 tsp. black pepper
2 tsp. white vinegar (optional)
1 Tbsp. dried parsley flakes
Combine broth, chicken, water, celery, carrots, rice & seasoning packet, onion & pepper in crock pot. Mix well. Cover. Cook on low 6-7 hours or on high 4-5 hours or until chicken or tender. Stir in vinegar, if desired. Sprinkle with parsley before serving.

I hate using the boxed rice..one day i will buy some bulk wild rice and season it myself but for now, i like how fast dumping the box in is :D

**Crock Pot Enchiladas**

1 lb ground beef 1/2-1C chopped onion
1/2 C chopped green or yellow or red pepper 1 can pinto beans, rinsed & drained
1 can black beans, rinsed & drained 1 can petite diced tomatoes w/green chilies
1/3 C water 1 t chili powder
1/2 t cumin 1/2 t salt
1/4 t pepper 1 C shredded cheddar
1 C shredded Colby-Jack 6-8 tortillas

In a skillet, cook beef, onion, and pepper until beef is browned; drain off fat & return to skillet. Add the beans, tomatoes, water, and spices; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 10 minutes.
Combine cheeses. In a 5-qt crock pot, layer in this order: beef mixture, tortilla, cheese - repeat until you have used everything, ending with a layer of cheese. Cook on low for 4-5 hours - longer is OK, but you'll lose the bottom layer b/c it will overcook and the beans will get hard.

After cooking, I invert the crock pot onto a shallow serving dish, separate the whole thing into two layers (4 tortillas each layer) and cut into 12 wedges.

**Bean and Cheese Burritos**

1 onion, chopped
1 16 oz. can refried beans
1 green bell pepper, chopped, if desired
6 8 inch tortillas (I use whole wheat)
1 T oil
Shredded cheddar cheese

Wrap tortillas in foil and place in pre-heated 350 oven for 10 mins. Meanwhile, cook onion and green pepper in hot skillet with oil until tender; add refried beans. Cook and stir until heated through. Spoon about ¼ cup of filling onto each tortilla just below center. Sprinkle with cheddar cheese. Fold the bottom up, then the sides, then the top, and flip over to hold it all closed. I like to sprinkle a little cheese on top of the burritos also for fun. Place on baking sheet and place in 350 degree oven for about 10 mins. Serve with shredded lettuce, salsa, and/or Mexican rice.

This I use most is whole cooked chicken. You can season it a million ways and use the cooked meat for 10000000 different things. It's so easy it's criminal. Plus I get stock for soups which I make a lot of out of the carcass. bonus!

[quote="shannyk, post:10, topic:188352"]
This I use most is whole cooked chicken. You can season it a million ways and use the cooked meat for 10000000 different things. It's so easy it's criminal. Plus I get stock for soups which I make a lot of out of the carcass. bonus!

[/quote]

Oh yeah, and another thing you just reminded me of shanny, are those turkey breasts you can buy and roast. I used to do that all the time because I love turkey more than anything and didn't want to save it just for the holidays. :) You can cook one of those, have it for dinner and use the leftovers for the rest of week or more. Sandwiches, turkey tetrazzinni, soup, etc.

I’m being lazy so I’m going to link to my favorite recipes which I posted on my blog a while back.

They’re all good for dinners.

Pork Chops and Dirty Rice
brokenfortress.blogspot.com/2009/10/recipe-swap-thursday_15.html

Philippine Style Chicken
brokenfortress.blogspot.com/2009/10/recipe-swap-thursday.html

Mom’s Crunchy Cheesey Potatoes
brokenfortress.blogspot.com/2009/09/recipe-swap-thursday.html

The first two are great because they cook over time by themselves and don’t take much prep time. The potato one is great as a side dish, and my mom always brings them to family gatherings, everyone loves them!

Don't forget to check out Taste of Home's website for great recipes: www.tasteofhome.com Never had one I didn't like! You can also pick up their specialty magazines that focus on casseroles, crock pot meals, etc. at most checkout stands!

Here's one recipe I make often:

Chops Baked in Soup (from Farm Journal Country Cookbook)

6 pork chops (bone-in) or 8 boneless (not butterflied)
4 cups sliced potatoes
1 onion chopped
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1 cup milk
salt and pepper to taste
butter

Season pork chops on both sides. Brown in butter in skillet on stove. Meanwhile, spread potatoes in bottom of 3-qt. casserole dish. Remove chops from skillet and arrange on potatoes. Add onion to skillet and saute until golden. Add soup and milk and stir until bubbly. Pour over chops and potatoes. Cover and bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes.

Here's one I make for family breakfasts often (I leave out the mustard):
tasteofhome.com/Recipes/Sausage-Mushroom-Breakfast-Bake

My 15-year-old son is addicted to this one!
tasteofhome.com/recipes/Penne-and-Smoked-Sausage

Try this link:

mycce.org/Monroe/nutrition/Create%20Your%20Own%20Casserole.pdf%between%

I have used this (adapted frrely, according to my own taste & what is in the pantry) for many years. So far, no bad casseroles.

I also like angelfire.com/ab/NeedARecipeCallMom/kitchen.html
It has the owner’s family recipes & a section with links to all kinds of recipes using name brand items, found at their sites. I have copied out so many good things from there, it is so much handier than trying to search the whole web to find the food company sites.

i try to avoid the “can of cream whatever” soups

A friend of mine makes her own cream of chicken soup from homemade chicken stock, then uses that in her recipes. I can get details if you would like them.

[quote="happymommy, post:16, topic:188352"]
A friend of mine makes her own cream of chicken soup from homemade chicken stock, then uses that in her recipes. I can get details if you would like them.

[/quote]

I think a homemade version of cream of anything would be a GREAT addition to this thread :D In other words, can you get them because I'd like them too :o

I love love love.. these 2 food blogs . Great everyday, normal family type recipes
sisterscafe.blogspot.com/

mykitchencafe.blogspot.com/

[quote="journey137, post:17, topic:188352"]
I think a homemade version of cream of anything would be a GREAT addition to this thread :D In other words, can you get them because I'd like them too :o

[/quote]

Doesn't taste quite the same as the canned stuff but I also want to do mostly from-scratch foods, so we use a basic white sauce:

2 T butter
2 T wheat flour (maybe others can be substituted)
heat butter, stir in flour thoroughly - sometimes I like it to brown a bit for flavor

gradually add in 1 C milk, a bit of salt, and some seasoning (nutmeg is traditional, I think). You can season it w/ mushrooms, celery, etc (I would saute them in butter first) and it can be thicker/thinner depending on your ratios of fat/flour to milk. I like to season it w/ garlic.

I’ll email her right away!!

edited to add: I emailed her and I will pass on the info. as soon as I get it:)

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.