Your favorite Crock Pot recipe

I am attempting to teach myself how to cook meals and someone told me to start out with crock pot recipes since I am away at school all day. So, I am asking you to post your favorite EASY crock pot recipe. Thanks for the help! Also, any tips you have for streamlining meal preparation would be most appreciated! God bless…

This one is really versatile, and you can change the beans to your taste (in fact, I’m giving my modification of the original recipe). This can be served as a side dish (it’s great at potlucks) or make a batch of corn bread and you can serve it as a main course.

Baked Bean Quintet

Ingredients:
16 oz can pork & beans in tomato sauce
16 oz can red kidney beans
16 oz can black beans
16 oz can cannellini
16 oz can garbanzo beans
1 large onion, chopped
6 slices bacon
3/4 c. catsup
1/2 c. molasses
1/4 c. packed brown sugar
1-3 cloves garlic, minced
1 T. prepared mustard
1 T. Worcestershire sauce

1. Cut up bacon and cook in skillet with the chopped onion and minced garlic until bacon crisp & onion tender; drain.

2. Drain and rinse all beans except for the pork & beans in tomato sauce.

3. Add all ingredients into a 4-qt crockpot. Mix well.

4. For best taste, cook on low for 10-12 hrs. May also cook on high for 4-5 hours.

Ham and beans…

1 pkg diced ham
1 medium onion
1 pkg dry beans… like navy or lima
2 qt water
1 tsp baking soda
seasonings… what ever you like
before bedtime:
wash beans and put water, beans, and baking soda in crockpot. Turn on low… cook overnight.
In the morning:
add ham and any seasonings (salt, pepper, garlic, etc…I use celery salt)
When you get home:
Add chopped onion and turn up to med-high. cook for one hour. Serve with cornbread or crackers.

My favorite for a family… use crockpot to make frozen ravioli.
1 pkg frozen meatballs
2 pkg frozen cheese ravioli
water
spaghetti sauce
shredded mozzerella cheese
put meatballs in crockpot (if yours sticks, mine is teflon coated so I put meatballs on top)
add sauce
use sauce container and fill 1/2 way with water dump in crockpot.
add cheese ravioli… make sure ravioli is covered…use lid cook on low.
Put meatballs at bottom of crockpot if your crockpot is ceramic, put meatballs on top if crockpot is teflon so ravioli doesn’t stick to bottom of pot.

When you serve put a small handful of mozzerella on top, and parm. if you have it.

I will be watching this thread closely, as I will be the cook of the house when I get married next year.:thumbsup:

1 oven stuffer roaster chicken
1 bottle BBQ sauce

Cover chicken w/ about 1/2 the BBQ sauce. Slow cook all day.

When you get home, the chicken will be falling off the bone! Shred it, add more BBQ sauce and serve on buns.

Added bonus: the house will smell wonderful when you walk in!
—KCT

Do the same with a roast… try different sauces…terriayki, au jus, etc.

If you do au jus add carrots and potatoes…but take them out before you shred the meat… serve on the side.

I suggest you get a couple of good, basic cookbooks.

If you want slow cooker recipes, I suggest the book Not Your Mother’s Slow Cooker Cookbook.

For general cooking, there is no better beginner cookbook than the Better Homes And Gardens Cookbook.

The nice thing about a crockpot is that you can just put stuff in it and leave it on Low all day. I like to get a pot roast and put it in the crockpot along with potatoes and carrots and onions, then just go off and leave it. It will be done in 7 or 8 or 10 hours. Times are not critical when it is on low.

The next day I cut up the meat that is left over with more vegetables and put it in the pot for a stew.

Sweet and Sour Pork Tenderloin

One pork tenderloin (we like the kind with terriyaki seasoning already on it)
1 can crushed or tidbit pineapple

Put tenderloin in crockpot, dump pineapple (with juice) on top. Cook all day. Slice and serve.

(also works nicely with beef tenderloin)

As a newlywed, I’ve been discovering the wonderful world of crockpots. I like the recipes that are simple but good. :smiley: This one is a favorite of mine…I got it off allrecipes.com. I highly recommend the site–it’s free, you can print it out as a recipe card, and the users can rate the recipe or add comments–I’ve had a positive experience with every recipe I’ve tried…:slight_smile:

**Awesome Roast **:thumbsup:

2.5 lb roast
1 can beef broth
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1 package of onion soup mix

Mix the soups together in the crockpot. Trim the fat off the roast and then plop the roast in too. Cook on low for 8 - 9 hours or on high for 4 - 6 hours. You can flip the roast about halfway, but it isn’t absolutely necessary. Also, if you like vegetables, add 2 - 3 sliced potatoes and a couple sliced carrots 2 hours before it should be done. Serve with rice. Use instant rice if you need to streamline.:slight_smile:

My husband loves pot roast in the crock pot on a cold winter day. I usually stick the pot roast in in the morning and pour some broth on it and add potatoes and carrots (or any other veggie). I season the meat a little too, but take into consideration that the broth is salty and that there are natural juices that will come out too. I try not to place the veggies completely submerged since they will absorb the broth if I do and I like them without absorbing too much broth, but that’s me. I usually do it a couple of times during winter so by the last time I have everything like I like it, but it is easy and is hard to mess up.

My kids love when I submerge the potatoes… they beg for “yellow” potatoes (thats what they call these. Also my dd has taken to adding an extra pound of carrots…just for herself… it was so funny, I put a pound of baby carrots in and had another pound for munching on raw… she waited until I left the kitchen and added the other bag… I didn’t notice until much later, just before dinner, I think I said something about alot of carrots… she just said, thats ok I’ll eat them… later I noticed the other bag in trash and confronted her… she actually laughed at me and said, “Ummm, I love you?”

My all-time fav crock pot recipe is pulled pork sandwiches:

1 pork butt (aka pork shoulder) roast
favorite bbq sauce
salt and pepper to taste
hamburger rolls

Season pork butt with salt and pepper, place in crock pot, put just enough water to cover bottom and place on low for 8-10 hours. Remove and shred meat (it will be fall apart tender). Mix with bbq sauce and serve on rolls.

I love shredded pork…mmmmmmm! :smiley:

I make quick casseroles too all the time by placing potatoes, carrots, celery and onion (or whatever veggies I have on hand) in bottom of crock pot, put in chicken (bone-in works the best) or a beef roast, put in some chicken or beef stock (depending on what meat I put in) just enough to cover bottom cover, cook on low for 8 hours and I have a delicious home-cooked meal after DH and I get home from work…it’s a winner every time!

My Favorite meal:

[LIST=1]
*]Take thick steak, rub in some steak seasoning, put aside. Fire up grill.
*]Wash & brush off large baking potatos, pierce couple times with fork. Put in microwave for about 20 minutes, turning once.
*]Throw steaks on grill, turn over about 4-6 minutes.
*]Take a bag of salad, slice off a tomoto and/or cucumber, onion, etc., & toss
*]Open adult beverage of your choice, enjoy classic steak & baked potato meal
*]Gift wrap crock pot, give to mother in law on birthday
[/LIST]

:smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Have you tried putting in a packet of onion soup mix and a can of cream of mushroom soup w/ it? It is delicious!!!

**Here is another easy crockpot recipe:
Italian Shredded Beef sandwiches

1 - Beef Roast (I usually use between a 2-3 lb one)

2 - Packets Good Seasons (or generic brand) Italian dressing mix

2 - Packets of Brown Gravy mix

2 - cups water.

Place in slow cooker on low for 8 hours or until the beef shreds easily w/ a fork. Then, put on buns and top w/ mozzerella cheese, swiss, or whatever you prefer

Note I added some slices of white onion towards the last hour last time and it was very delicious!!

I freeze the leftovers in tupperware containers to have for another meal and then just thaw that day.**

Great idea for a thread!

Here’s a favorite in my family. This is a recipe all of them will eat.

Roast Pork w/Maple & Mustard Glaze
allrecipes.com/Recipe/Roast-Pork-with-Maple-and-Mustard-Glaze/Detail.aspx

Instead of using the oven I put it in the crock pot either 8 hours on low or 4.5 hours on high.

The reason I gave the link is because the recipes on this website are reviewed by users and they always have good ideas on how to improve them.

This even makes round steak (which is OH so inexpensive) taste yummy, and tender! I serve it over noodles or mashed potatoes.

That is the good thing about crockpots… you can buy cheap meat and it will still be so tender it falls apart!

Chicken taco soup. So easy, so good, everyone likes it.

allrecipes.com/Recipe/Slow-Cooker-Chicken-Taco-Soup/Detail.aspx

However, I think the chips, cheese & sour cream are manditory, not optional! :thumbsup:

You can even use frozen chicken breasts, just cut them up a bit and cook for a little longer.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.