Your Favorite Paul Newman (RIP) Movie?

The late Paul Newman was one of America’s greatest and most versatile actors. What is/are your favorite Paul Newman movie(s)? Here is a link to help you remember his many films. foxnews.com/story/0,2933,429179,00.html

My Favorites:

The Hustler–gritty and compelling: Newman at his best. A close call with Cool Hand Luke but I pick Fast Eddie.
Runners up:
Harper: The opening coffee scene is perfect and says it all. It is the essence of his persona.
The Sting: Newman (and Redford) having great fun with their craft
Hombre Newman becomes an icon of the West–One of the best westerns ever

There is absolutely no question in my mind. My favorite Paul Newman movie of all time is THE STING!!! It’s so fast moving and each scene is better than the last. I can watch this movie over and over and never get tired of it.

Cars. Okay, maybe it isn’t Oscar worthy, but the whole message of this kids’ flick got to me. Newman’s character is a “has been” as is the town. Nonetheless, with the sacrifice of the protagonist, the town and patriarch get to have another go. There is something about Newman’s voice and character (both the nostalgia and prospective finality) that impact me.

His acting in Exodus (1960) ain’t too shabby either.

James Joseph

Newman/Redford. Who can beat that combo?

Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid is still my favorite. But the Sting is right behind it.

I like the Verdict. Paul, playing an Irish Catholic lawyer, asks the jury to have faith in the system. He says: “In my religion, we say that if you ACT as though you have faith, faith will be given to you.”

I like Cat on a Hot Tin Roof. Big daddy lectures on his success at overcoming poverty, while standing in his cellar filled with junk.
Paul (Bret) asks: “Does your junk LOVE you?”

‘Nobody’s Fool’: simply doesn’t get any better.

I loved Cat on a Hot Tin Roof

I also loved him in Cars

He was also a bigtime supporter of abortion and Planned Parenthood. Now he knows the truth.

recently saw Exodus again which was the hot movie when I was a kid, and what made him a star at least in the jr hi set (now geriatrics who think he has never been equalled). Still a good movie on so many levels. However the Sting has to be the best Newman flic, no contest, because Newman w/o Redford is like coffee w/o cream, eggs w/o bacon, or Lucy w/o Ethel.

The Verdict

Kathy

Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid…

However, a lesser known and unmemorable Newman movie, Winning, about race car drivers, premiered at the fanciest theater we had here at that time, about 1967. It was quite the thing. I was 17-ish and working at the concession counter. Some of the stars were there for the opening, everything was decorated with black and white racing flags. I was so excited. Unfortunately Paul Newman had better things to do than come to a podunk Texas town! I forgive him, though. Love his pasta sauces…

Anybody remember Long Hot Summer? Excellent cast and based on William Faulkner’s stories…Of course, The Sting and Butch Cassidy great ones…

My favorites are:
The Long Hot Summer
Cat On A Hot Tin Roof
Exodus
Butch Cassidy and The Sundance Kid
Fort Apache/The Bronx
Newman was an excellent actor and a philanthropist.
Do you have proof that he was Pro Choice/Planned Parenthood ?
I’m curious.

Winning …very cool movie!

Two of my all time favorite movies are Cat on a Hot Tin Roof and The Long Hot Summer.

:rolleyes:

Turner Classics finally had a Paul Newman marathon last weekend.
I’ve always like Exodus (though they strayed too much from the book).
And I really liked one I’d never seen before, Somebody Up There Likes Me, the Rocky Graziano story.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.