YOUR Favorite Priestly Society/Order?

I feel a definite call to the priesthood but am not of age to join a seminary, so as of right now, I am just browsing different groups.

So as I browse, I am also looking into different charisms that may suit be best, so I would like to know, what is your favorite religious order/congregation/society?

A few groups I am looking into are:

-Institute of the Incarnate Word, (I.V.E)

-Priestly Fraternity of St. Peter, (F.S.S.P)

-Miles Christi

-Opus Dei

Also so if you know any pros and cons to any of the groups I listed, it would be of great help.

Carlos

I am no expert and not much of help, but Opes Dei is not a priestly order/society/fraternity it’s an organization for lay people and have no authority with having men ordained to the priest hood. I know that the FSSP pretty much offers the 1962 Missal and I don’t think they trained you in the 1970 Missal, again I could be wrong. There are some videos on Youtube by FSSP so look into it.

My favorite societies/orders are:
-FSSP (they certainly are popular on this site)
-CPM (Fathers of Mercy)
-Society of Jesus (Jesuit - there ARE orthodox Jesuits out there! Those that are orthodox are brilliant.)
-Benedictines

As for the FSSP, go to that one only if you really love the Tridentine liturgy.
As for the CPM, they celebrate the N.O. with profound respect. I can easily see them doing the TLM, but I don’t think they do that. Their drawbacks are that they primarily focus on retreats and missions, but are excellent confessors and can give speeches that would give Martin Luther King Jr. a run for his money.
The Jesuits are legendary for both their scholarship and their left-of-center lean and their outstanding heretics (which is odd, because they have a fourth vow of absolute obedience to the Pope).

The FSSP and the Jesuits require the most training (Jesuits in sheer amount of time - 11 years at my last check-, FSSP in the content -Latin, history, Gregorian chant every year on top of philosophy and theology; OLGS runs like a military barracks.)

FSSP :slight_smile: I attend an FSSP parish and it’s amazing. Very, very solid, orthodox, traditional, good community, the priests are great confessors, well prepared, etc… I don’t really know much about the other orders that you listed, but my experience in an FSSP parish has been positive. :thumbsup:

FSSP - Priestly Fraternity of St Peter
ICRSS - Institute of Christ the King High Priest
Canons Regular of St John Cantius
Transalpine Redemptorists - Scotland
Personal Apostolic Administration of St John Vianney

Although there isn’t any in mine area. I am quite interested in the Franciscans of the Immaculate. They celebrate the extraordinary form of the Mass most of the time. :slight_smile:

I’m just north of one of their communities! I completely forgot about them. Compared to others, their lifestyle is hard. I’d like to add the Franciscans of the Immaculate to my list as well! :smiley:

I recently met a priest of a traditional Dominican Monastery based in France, I was very impressed with him.

Actually, the Priestly Society of the Holy Cross is part of Opus Dei. Most of the men ordained to the priesthood have come from among the celibate members of Opus Dei after a number of years of membership. They are simply asked if they would like to go to seminary and be ordained, and they are free to accept or refuse. Opus Dei priests have a special charism for hearing confessions - they are unfailingly wise, kind and optimistic, at least based on my personal experience and that of others I know.

So the deal is, you don’t go into Opus Dei thinking about becoming a priest; you go because you have a vocation to that spirituality and way of life. You may or may not become a priest later on. Based on numbers alone, you probably won’t.

Have you thought about the Legionaries of Christ? legionariesofchrist.org/eng/contactanos/vocation.phtml?se=241

I had a friend who entered into the Legion it’s a very orthodox order although formation can be up to 13 years. I’d also recommend the Society of Jesus, Jesuits I’ve always thought of them as being the intellectual religious order. Pax!

FSSP! God has blessed us with an amazing priest. He has a true love and desire to save souls. He doesnt sugar coat things and cares more about the quality of Catholic than the quantity although he is always welcoming and encouraging people to join the faith. His lectures, sermons, and faith formation classes are a God send to our parish. May he be blessed forever!

The other one that I think is good is The Canons Regular of Saint John Cantius. They are teaching priests about schola gregoriana and the Tridentine Mass which used to be ordinary form but is now the extraordinary form. :slight_smile:

Either way God bless all the priests and may we ask Our Blessed Mother to protect them and keep them safe. We ask this in the name of Jesus Christ our Lord and Saviour. Amen

not a huge detailed person about priestly orders or societies. I am in formation in the secular franciscan order and have been drawn to that life style if I were to be a priest instead of being a SFO I would be drawn to the order of Friars Minor Caupuchin (OFM Cap). Have been raised in a Franciscan community as far as Catholic Churches go in my area and that I had a great-aunt who was Franciscan nun. the Franciscans have always appealed to me. Other great societies are St. John’s Cantius (Regular) and Society of Jesus. I don’t have much knowledge about them so the only advice I have is on the the Franciscan community

:twocents:

:wave: Was raised in the wild by Capuchins.

tee

Canons of St Joh Cantius. Here is why:

musicasacra.com/kolinski/

Here is their website

canons-regular.org/

As you list Opus Dei among your attractions, it must be safe to assume that you like the idea of working extensively with laity. :slight_smile: This being the case, the order of friars preachers would be best for you. :wink: They are very sound in theology; indeed, they have often been at the forefront of clarifying the Church’s teachings on many things. Solidity and truth are the bywords of the Order! A traditional symbol of the Order is a small hound carrying a fiery torch in its mouth: a zealous, loyal companion of Christ bringing His light to the world.

If you absolutely must have the Trad. element, the Dominicans retain their nearly-800-year-old liturgical rite. In joining them, you might request to be trained in this Rite, in addition to the Novus Ordo Missae. As a priest, you’d be at liberty to say the Ordinary Form with just as much pious love as you say the Rite.

What matters is not particularly whether Order A, Order B, or Order C is most pious; what matters, in the end, is that you personally wish to give up your life and plunge into Christ. He is the path to the Father, not F.S.S.P., Opus Dei, or the Dominican Order. In the end, it is always about a total, manly abandonment to the king and general of the army of the order of light against chaos and evil.

Were you to become a simple diocesan priest, you still might practice the E.F. and/or the O.F. piously, with the eternal salvation of Christ piercing your heart. Make a religious order in your own heart, with yourself the only member and Jesus Christ the only superior-general; do that first, and then submit yourself to an earthly Order. Grace builds upon nature.

I, too, love the FSSP and I truely care for traditional Dominicans and traditional Benedictines (Clear Creek), Canons Regular of the New Jerusalem,

Miles Christi priests are awesome! Their charism is to preach the Spiritual Exercises of St. Ignatius and they offer weekend retreats all over the country. I have just signed up for my fourth annual retreat with them.

I believe their formation period is a bit longer than some. The seminary is in Argentina and all of the priests I have met are fluent in Spanish.

Actually, any diocesan priest can join Opus Dei while remaining in his diocese, and no Opus Dei activities interfere with the priest’s pastoral work.

I do have a great love for the Extraordinary form, and the groups I have listed (excluding FSSP) do have priests that celebrate both Ordinary and Extraordinary forms of the Roman Rite.

I am mainly looking for orthodoxy in groups, and when I see that a group a group is orthodox, I then look into their charism to see if it suits me.

Yes, you’re right. I was focusing on the numerary priests.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.