Your favourite...and how often?

When you pray for the souls in purgatory do you also pray for your deceased loved ones by name,? Or do you offer your prayer “for all my deceased family, friends, relatives, benefactors, aquaintances, ancestors and enemies” also do you have a favourite prayer you say for the souls in purgatory? How often do you pray for them?

Eternal Father I offer you the most precious blood of thy divine son Jesus in union with the masses said throughout the world today. For all the holy souls in Purgatory, for sinners everywhere, for sinners in the universal Church, those in my own home and within my own family.

This prayer will release 1000 souls from Purgatory. (St. Gertrude)

You can say for your entire family or name the person. If you name the person it just goes directly to that person. God Bless!

I pray for my deceased by their baptismal names and then for the poor souls in purgatory.

I usually try to pray for my departed loved ones by name. I only have a few people in that category, so it may be easier for me. I really prefer to dedicate masses to them.

I do it quite often.

depends on if I am thinking about a particular deceased person

if not then I say for all those no longer with us

my favorite and most often is ( may their soul and the souls of the faithful departed through the mercy of God rest in peace ) I say it every time I save a memorial or hear of a deceased person

I pray for my departed family and friends by name. As I get older the list grows but the Holy Spirit reminds me. I always end with, “If any of the dear ones I have named are already enjoying the fullness of the Beatific Vision, may my prayers for them go instead to poor souls who have no one to pray for them as I hope someone in their charity will pray for me at my death.”

I do pray for family members by name and have Masses offered for them.
I try to remember to pray the St. Gertrude prayer at least daily and when I drive by a cemetary(that helps me to remember.)
When I hear of someone dying (even when I don’t actually know the person), I pray a Hail Mary and/or “Eternal rest grant unto him/her O Lord. . .”
RC :slight_smile:

I pray daily for the souls in purgatory. I mention my close family members and friends by name; but also say “and for all my ‘cloud of witnesses’…those relatives that I never knew but who are related to me.” I also pray for all the souls in purgatory (as a group), and mention especially those who have no one to pray for them.

My DH and I do a holy hour at Eucharistic Adoration weekly, and I take Susan Tassone’s book about praying the Stations of the Cross for the souls in purgatory. It’s beautiful, and makes me happy to be able to do something for these precious souls. Hope someone remembers me someday!

They will pray for you in turn once they reach the Ultimate Goal. Heaven! You will be surprised as you will come to see the souls you set free how they have returned the favor!! God Bless!

Sometimes I have specific friends and family that I like to pray for. But sometimes I pray and let God sort out who needs the prayers the most. They never go to waste.

Domine Iesu dimite nobis debita nostra
Salvanos ab igni inferiori,
perduc in caelum omnes animas,
praesertim eias quae misericordia tua
maxime indigent, amen.

Requiem aeternam dona eis (ei) Domine
et lux perpetua luceat eis (ei). Amen

I pray these on my Rosary-between mysteries. If I have specific person that I wish to offer my Rosary for, I mention them before I begin the Rosary.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.