Your favourite quotation(s) here!

Hi there, CAF folks :slight_smile:

Let’s share here any of our favourite, interesting or thought-provoking quotations of saints, popes, writers, famous people in history etc. !

I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen, not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.

G.K. Chesterton

This is someone’s signature that posts here on the forums. It always makes me smile.

“Hearing nuns confessions is like being stoned to death with popcorn.” Bishop Fulton Sheen

A few more GKC quotes:

Break the conventions; keep the commandments.

Angels can fly because they take themselves lightly.

Christianity has not been tried and been found wanting; it has been found hard and left untried.

Anything worth doing is worth doing badly.

I tend to like the humorous quotes, since Saints are so often portrayed as being a little too sugary perfect and humourless.

So my first is from the Confessions by St Augustine: ‘Lord, grant me chastity and continence - just not yet!’

and the second is from St Teresa of Avila, after falling off her horse into a mudpuddle while travelling: ‘Lord, if this is how You treat your friends, no wonder You have so few of them!’

I like the GK one in my signature best :rolleyes:

This is rather a poem, not quote, but I find it very profound so I’ll put it here :slight_smile: It’s about today’s culture

First dentistry was painless;
Then bicycles were chainless
And carriages were horseless
And many laws, enforceless.
Next, cookery was fireless,
Telegraphy was wireless,
Cigars were nicotineless
And coffee, caffeinless.
Soon oranges were seedless,
The putting green was weedless,
The college boy hatless,
The proper diet, fatless,
Now motor roads are dustless,
The latest steel is rustless,
Our tennis courts are sodless,
Our new religions, godless.

(from the book Gaily The Troubadour (1936) by Arthur Guiterman )

When Satan reminds you of your past, remind him of his future!!!:thumbsup:

This is what I was going to say, so I’ll just second Lily on this one. Every teenage boy who is trying to live a clean life can relate to Augustine.

Coversion is a matter of a moment.Sanctification is a work of a lifetime.

I love anything from Mother Teresa and St. Therese of Lisieux. And one I read a long time ago, though I can’t remember who said it: If you feel far away from God, it wasn’t He Who moved. :slight_smile:

Another light one - I don’t know where it came from:

If God is your co-pilot, CHANGE SEATS!Betsy

CSL wrote that, actually.

Yeah, you’re right!! Sure!! Thanks :wink:

Theres a couple that I really like.

One is a very simple one by Erich Fromm it says “Immature love says: ‘I love you because I need you.’ Mature love says 'I need you because I love you.”

The other is by Charles Pellegrino, a scientist who is also an author of both fiction and non-fiction. His dino cloning idea is what inspired Michael Crichton’s Jurassic Park. This quote is from the end of his book Ghosts of Vesuvius. Its an amazing book Pellegrino wrote about about the eruption of Mt. Vesuvius in AD 79 (think of Pompeii), religion (not an atheist approach…more of a philisophical one), 9/11 and a couple other topics. It is:

“What if the combined acomplishments of all human civilizations up to this moment are but the twilight before the dawn, the hopes and dreams-both wonderous and perilous-of a species only now about to become truely adult? What if?”

Not exactly a quote, but here is one of my favorite passages, from Story of a Soul, St Therese of Lisieux…

The splendor of the rose and the whiteness of the lily do not rob the little violet of its scent nor the daisy of its simple charm. I realized that if every tiny flower wanted to be a rose, spring would lose its loveliness and there would be no wild flowers to make the meadows gay. It is just the same in the world of souls - which is the garden of Jesus. He has created
the great saints who are like the lilies and the roses, but He has also created much lesser saints and they must be content to be the daisies or the violets which rejoice His eyes whenever He glances down. Perfection consists in doing His will, in being
that which He wants us to be.

“Faith is not in a floor plan.” - Simon Birch, from the movie Simon Birch

I have this in my God journal and came across it as I was writing in it yesterday.

“Let anyone who comes to you go away feeling better and happier. Every one should see goodness in your face, in your eyes, in your smile. Joy shows from the eyes; it appears when we speak and walk. It cannot be closed inside us. It reacts outside. Joy is very infectious.”
–Mother Teresa

My very favorite quote!!! :thumbsup:

That’s a very nice one! Thanks, Elizastaci!! :thumbsup:

All it takes for evil to flourish is for good men to do nothing.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.