Your favourite quotation(s) here!

Hm, nice! Is there any author of that? :slight_smile:

I can’t remember who said that, but it was during the Holocaust and I think it was a German cardinal. I’ll find out.

Sorry I was wrong. It was Edmund Burke who said, “The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.” So my quote was wrong and so was my source.
Oh well, my brain is gone after five children!:slight_smile:

Edmund Burke, British MP during the late 18th century. Supported American Independence, opposed the French Revolution. Smart Man. :wink:

“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.”

My favorite religious quote:

“What is man that thou art mindful of him” Psalm 8:4

and practical:

“Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum.”

“Let him who wishes for peace prepare for war.”

Vegetius

Great! Thanks! I’m always looking forward to these quotes! :wink:

“The Will of God will never lead you where the Grace of God cannot keep you”

:thumbsup: Thanks, schatzi

“We have to cook the truth in charity until it tastes sweet.”

St Francis of Sales.

St Teresa of Avila complained of her sufferings to Jesus and He said to her “This is the way I treat my friends”
“Then Lord then I understand why you have so few.”:smiley:

Be not the first by whom the new are tried,
Nor yet the last to lay the old aside.

–Alexander Pope

Useful to remember re: computers & related products, doubly so with anything Microsoft.

And, of course, waiting often reveals that it would be foolish to “lay the old aside”.

"I have read in Plato and Cicero sayings that are wise and very beautiful; but I have never read in either of them: ‘Come unto me all ye that labor and are heavy laden.’’’

-St. Augustine

So true;) .

“Be true to your teeth and they’ll never be false to you.”

Soupy Sales:D

Padre Pio In My Own Words

You ought to ask our Lord for just one thing to love Him.All the rest should be thanksgiving.

By studying books,one seeks God,by praying,one finds Him.

One does not achieve salvation without prayer,one does not win the battle without prayer.The choice is yours.

Let us pray fervently,humbly and perseveringly.The Lord is a Father,the most tender and best of fathers.He cannot fail to be moved when His children appeal to Him.

You suffer,but believe also that Jesus Himself suffers in you and for you.

You complain because the same trials are constantly returning.But look here,what have you to fear?Are you afraid of the divine Craftsman who wants to perfect His masterpiece in this way?Would you like to come from the hands of such a magnificent Artist as a mere sketch and no more?
I laugh and laugh loudly at the manner in which God treats you.Listen,just keep cheerful,be at peace and let God do as He pleases.

Your tears were collected by the angels and were placed in a gold chalice,and you will find them when you present yourself before God.

You should be encouraged and comforted by the knowledge that we are not alone in our sufferings,for all the followers of the Nazarene scattered throughout the world suffer in the same manner and are all exposed like ourselves to the trials and tribulations of life.

The cross will never oppress you,its weight might cause you to stagger,but its strength will sustain you.

Do not allow yourself to be overcome by discouragement if you don’t always visibly see your every effort crowned.Jesus sees,rewards and commands good will and not good success,because the latter does not depend on human efforts and work.

If possible,don’t love the will of God merely when it conforms with yours,but rather love your will when and because it conforms to that of God.

You must allow your divine Spouse to act in you and to lead you by the paths He chooses.

Where there is no obedience,there is no virtue,where there is no virtue,there is no good,where there is no good,there is no love,where there is no love,there is no God,and where there is no God,there is no paradise.

Remember this,the sinner who is ashamed to do evil is closer to God than the upright man who is ashamed to do good.

Don’t allow any sadness to dwell in your soul,for sadness prevents the Holy Spirit from acting freely.

Sadness is the slow death of the soul,and serves no purpose.

As long as there remains a drop of blood in our body,there will be a struggle between right and wrong.

Jesus permits the spiritual combat as a purification,not as a punishment.The trial is not unto death,but unto salvation.

The best means of guarding yourself against temptation are watch your senses to save them from dangerous temptation,avoid vanity,do not let your heart become exalted,convince yourself of the evil of complacency,flee away from hate,pray whenever possible.

Remember that the devil has only one door by which to enter the soul,the will.There are no secret or hidden doors.

If the devil makes a great deal of noise about you,rejoice,for this is a good sign.What we must dread is his peace and harmony with the human soul.

Nothing is a sin unless it is committed voluntarily.Where there is no will,there is no sin,only human weakness.

No one in this world merits anything,it is the benevolent Lord,in His infinite goodness towards us,who grants everything,because He pardons everything.

You are loved by Jesus and Jesus has already forgiven your sins,so there can be no further reason for your spirit to be depressed.Your desire to convince yourself to the contrary is truly a waste of time,it is an offense to the heart of this most tender Lover of ours.

God does not reject sinners,but rather,grants them His grace,erecting the throne of His glory on their abjection and vileness.

Divine Goodness not only does not reject penitent souls,but even goes in search of obstinate souls.

My past,oh Lord,to your Mercy,my present,to your Love,my future,to your Providence!

To doubt is the greatest insult to the Divinity.

To be worried because something we have done has not turned out in accordance with our pure intention shows a lack of humility.This is a clear sign that the person concerned has not entrusted the success of his action to the divine assistance but has depended too much on his own strength.

Don’t think about tomorrow’s events,because the same heavenly Father who takes care of you today,will do the same tomorrow and forever.

Do not abstain from doing good due to silly and useless apprehension.If there are foolish people who make fun of the work of the children of God,have a good laugh at them and continue to do the work you started.The divine Master has promised a reward not to those who begin well,but to those who persevere to the end.

You must love,love,love above all else.

Laudate Dominum

Wow! Thank you cherubim!

I like this part of today’s
Responsorial Psalm
Ps 103:1b-2, 3-4, 8-9, 10-11

**R. The Lord is kind and merciful. **
Not according to our sins does he deal with us,
nor does he requite us according to our crimes.
For as the heavens are high above the earth,
so surpassing is his kindness toward those who fear him.

This is one of my favorites from GK Chesterton’s book, Heretics:
pagebypagebooks.com/Gilbert_K_Chesterton/Heretics/Concluding_Remarks_on_the_Importance_of_Orthodoxy_p1.html

Man can be defined as an animal that makes dogmas. As he piles doctrine on doctrine and conclusion on conclusion in the formation of some tremendous scheme of philosophy and religion, he is, in the only legitimate sense of which the expression is capable, becoming more and more human. When he drops one doctrine after another in a refined scepticism, when he declines to tie himself to a system, when he says that he has outgrown definitions, when he says that he disbelieves in finality, when, in his own imagination, he sits as God, holding no form of creed but contemplating all, then he is by that very process sinking slowly backwards into the vagueness of the vagrant animals and the unconsciousness of the grass. **Trees have no dogmas. Turnips are singularly broad-minded. **

St Paul has many good quotes, but here is one of my favorites:

2 Corinthians 6:3-10

We cause no one to stumble in anything, in order that no fault may be found with our ministry; on the contrary, in everything we commend ourselves as ministers of God, through much endurance, in afflictions, hardships, constraints,
beatings, imprisonments, riots, labors, vigils, fasts;
by purity, knowledge, patience, kindness, in a holy spirit, in unfeigned love, in truthful speech, in the power of God; with weapons of righteousness at the right and at the left;
through glory and dishonor, insult and praise. We are treated as deceivers and yet are truthful; as unrecognized and yet acknowledged; as dying and behold we live; as chastised and yet not put to death; as sorrowful yet always rejoicing; as poor yet enriching many; as having nothing and yet possessing all things.

Over the past several months i have been reading a lot of religious writings online and have copied many of my favorite passages from them. Here are a few:

“We must not rely too much upon ourselves, for grace and understanding are often lacking in us. We have but little inborn light, and this we quickly lose through negligence. Often we are not aware that we are so blind in heart. Meanwhile we do wrong, and then do worse in excusing it. At times we are moved by passion, and we think it zeal. We take others to task for small mistakes, and overlook greater ones in ourselves. We are quick enough to feel and brood over the things we suffer from others, but we think nothing of how much others suffer from us. If a man would weigh his own deeds fully and rightly, he would find little cause to pass severe judgment on others.” -Thomas Kempis

“Wherever you are, wherever you go, you are miserable unless you turn to God. So why be dismayed when things do not happen as you wish and desire? Is there anyone who has everything as he wishes? No—neither I, nor you, nor any man on earth. There is no one in the world, be he Pope or king, who does not suffer trial and anguish.” -Thomas Kempis

“In prosperity, give thanks to God with humility and fear lest by pride you abuse God’s benefits and so offend him. … If the Lord has permitted you to have some trial, bear it willingly and with gratitude, considering that it has happened for your good and that perhaps you well deserved it.” -St Louis

“…as we do not understand ourselves and know not what we ask, let us leave everything to the Lord, Who knows us better than we know ourselves. True humility consists in our being satisfied with what is given us. There are some people who seem to want to ask favours from God as a right. A pretty kind of humility that is! He Who knows us all does well in seldom giving things to such persons, He sees clearly that they are unable to drink of His chalice.” -St Teresa of Avila

“Turn your attention upon yourself and beware of judging the deeds of other men, for in judging others a man labors vainly, often makes mistakes, and easily sins; whereas, in judging and taking stock of himself he does something that is always profitable.” -Thomas Kempis

“If you are healthy and rich, alleviate the need of the one who is sick and poor; if you have not fallen, help the one who has fallen and lives in suffering; if you are happy, console the one who is sad; if you are fortunate, help the one who has been bitten by misfortune…Show God your gratitude, for you are one that can do good, and not the one that has to be helped. … Don’t be merely rich in wealth, but also in piety; not only in gold, but also in virtue, or better yet, only in this.” -St Gregory

“This is the greatest wisdom—to seek the kingdom of heaven through contempt of the world. It is vanity, therefore, to seek and trust in riches that perish. It is vanity also to court honor and to be puffed up with pride. It is vanity to follow the lusts of the body and to desire things for which severe punishment later must come. It is vanity to wish for long life and to care little about a well-spent life. It is vanity to be concerned with the present only and not to make provision for things to come. It is vanity to love what passes quickly and not to look ahead where eternal joy abides.” -Thomas Kempis

“What good does it do to speak learnedly about the Trinity if, lacking humility, you displease the Trinity? Indeed it is not learning that makes a man holy and just, but a virtuous life makes him pleasing to God. I would rather feel contrition than know how to define it. For what would it profit us to know the whole Bible by heart and the principles of all the philosophers if we live without grace and the love of God? Vanity of vanities and all is vanity, except to love God and serve Him alone.” -Thomas Kempis, Imitation of Christ

“He complains much of our blindness; and cries often that we are to be pitied who content ourselves with so little. GOD, saith he, has infinite treasure to bestow, and we take up with a little sensible devotion which passes in a moment. Blind as we are, we hinder GOD, and stop the current of His graces. But when He finds a soul penetrated with a lively faith, He pours into it His graces and favours plentifully; there they flow like a torrent, which, after being forcibly stopped against its ordinary course, when it has found a passage, spreads itself with impetuosity and abundance…Yes, we often stop this torrent, by the little value we set upon it. But let us stop it no more: let us enter into ourselves and break down the bank which hinders it. Let us make way for grace; let us redeem the lost time, for perhaps we have but little left; death follows us close, let us be well prepared for it; for we die but once, and a miscarriage there is irretrievable.” -Brother Lawrence

okay…maybe that’s more than a few :stuck_out_tongue: As you can see, Kempis is a favorite of mine as far as quotable passages. I sometimes have to check myself from copying every paragraph from his chapters.

Well, Psalm 91 first of all (I won’t put the entire thing here, but lets just say that I can’t believe what “On Eagles Wings” did to such a beautiful psalm).

One of the best things I’ve heard was in a sermon by a priest in the Charismatic Episcopal Church. He discussed the need to wait patiently and persevere in prayer, and told a beautiful story about a couple who were separated by WWII, had each thought the other had died, and after over 50 years of praying for an answer and being apart, they were finally reunited again. He closed the story with the line “everything works perfectly in God’s time.” That’s probably one of the best quotes I’ve ever heard.

You picked a lot of great quotes, but I especially like the one above.

Welcome to the forum.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.