Your gift ideas for soon to be Eagle Scout Godchild?

He's 18. There are things on the Scouting websites but I'd love to give something religious if possible.

Any suggestions appreciated, thank you. :)

I wonder if you can find a Catholic “college survival guide” or college-age-appropriate prayer book. You could include a note about the young man having learned how to survive in the wild through Scouts, and that you hope your gift will help him survive in the “wild” of college life?

[quote="pollycarp, post:1, topic:230148"]
He's 18. There are things on the Scouting websites but I'd love to give something religious if possible.

Any suggestions appreciated, thank you. :)

[/quote]

"A Scout is Reverent" It may be the last in the Scout Law but it very far from the least. I like your direction and you might find an appropriate Saint medal or other item. Not sure if he has a CCC or not. Do you know his Saint's name?

[quote="Augusta_Sans, post:2, topic:230148"]
I wonder if you can find a Catholic "college survival guide" or college-age-appropriate prayer book. You could include a note about the young man having learned how to survive in the wild through Scouts, and that you hope your gift will help him survive in the "wild" of college life?

[/quote]

Excellent idea! I think I got my copy from this very website. Also, going forward, he will get many people attempting to confuse him on Catholic teachings or history. A great book might be The Essential Catholic Survival Guide or better yet, figure out how to introduce him to someone at his college that will get him involved with the local Catholic support structure there. Tickets to a ball game or other activity with the school with the youth leader or something.

Maybe something from Matthew Kelly or audio files on a CD to be loaded on the ipod. Depending on his taste, maybe Father Larry.

I like this book idea. Thanks very much.

(I never could find a gift pertaining to Daniel, his saint's name.)

My husband received a beautiful painting with an eagle and the verse "on the wings of eagles" for his eagle and it something he still treasures 15 years later. Saint George is the saint for scouting so a medal or anything a long those lines would be treasured items as well. What we have done for other family members who have earned their eagle (my husband comes from a strong scouting family) is a lifetime membership to the National Eagle Scout ***. It allows them to stay connected with scouting even if they aren't a member and for their achievement to always be remember.

Before his Eagle scout ceremony, my boyfriend told me that it was traditional (at least in his family, I don't know about others' experiences) to give the scout an eagle statue. I'm sure it's possible to find statues or little plaques (or statues with little plaques) that speak of the majestic eagle in nature and the wonder of God. Good luck on your search!

A donation to the local cloistered convent in their name. The money has a good chance of being used wisely there, and the prayers for the scout will be efficacious. My experience has been that, if the donation is generous, they may be inclined to quickly put together a little calligraphy presentation mentioning their prayer intention, or some prayer cards or booklets.

Ah that might explain my husband’s bronze eagle-shaped piggy bank. :slight_smile:

Art of Manliness recently had some "manly" stationery on their site. I know that sounds "wimpy" but if more men sent thank you's and quick notes to relatives they would improve the way they interacted with people and would conversely be viewed in a more positive light.

Now an Eagle Scout sounds like the perfect guy to give this to because he would be willing to utilize it.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.