"Your Guardian Angel Prays For You Continuously." An account in a Catholic publication

see http://www.ncregister.com/blog/joseph-pronechen/your-own-personal-body-soul-guardian

This article says a great deal about what guardian angles do for us.

This is summed up by the quotes it gives:
"Beside each believer stands an angel as protector and shepherd leading him to life,” taught St. Basil.
“From its beginning until death, human life is surrounded by their watchful care and intercession,” declares the Catechism (336).

7 Likes

Angel of God, mu guardian dear, to whom God’s love commends me here:
Ever this day be at my side, to light and guard, to rule and guide.
Amen. :prayer_beads:

5 Likes

Angel sent by God to guide me, be my light and watch beside me. Be my guardian and protect me. On the path of life direct me. &
Beautiful angel from heaven above fold thy wings around me and guard me with love. :innocent:

7 Likes

I’ve never seen that one before, Divine3. Thank you for posting it: it’s beautiful. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

A thought that has (sort of) comforted me when thinking about children who die young or are aborted is that at least they get to heaven without going through all the usual trials and tribulations of life.

2 Likes

Speaking of children. I nearly died during the moment of my birth. None of the attempts from the staff were able to successfully revive me, then when they all were about to give up, I was suddenly healed of the problem, completely free of any complications.

All these years later, my life has been filled with mundanity, and sometimes even outright dreadfulness, mostly from external situations completely beyond my control, if that’s not enough, the circumstances haven’t “strengthened” me or anyone around me (it’s actually caused me to harbor resentment towards God). This would seem to imply that my Guardian Angel failed at its true job, would it not?

Watch it, my post was hidden and I was reprimanded for saying something along those lines. I simply asked if the particular “Guardian Angel” was punished for failing to protect someone.

God is infinitely perfect and He is in control far beyond what we could see or understand in our finite minds.

1 Like

No Angels are not like human bodyguards that stop bad things from happening. They fulfill their duties as prescribed by God.

2 Likes

In this life we do not see the whole picture. The fact that we suffer does not in the least mean that our guardian angels have failed.

2 Likes

Would this not imply that individual humans lack significance to God? That the individual man is but a single means to a collective end? I can say with certainty that my individual predicament hasn’t done any good for me, and I don’t go out of my way to do good for others for this very reason. I’ve prayed to my Guardian Angel, as well as God and X other number of saints to improve my situation, however the problem remains, and no definitive solutions have been provided. What does God gain from throwing our relationship down the drain like this? That sounds more like Divine Negligence than Divine Providence.

To forum poster ----There was a man who also suffered greatly and how he responded to his great suffering in relation to God is amazing. You might like to meditate on the life of Job. Job1-40, tough reading but worth it. If the Son of God, who is fully man and fully God, who is sinless, came to redeem all humanity by his suffering, death and glorious resurrection and told us that he is the way the truth and the life, why would any of our lives not be marked by the cross? Even Mary suffered at the foot of the cross and she never sinned. Never did Jesus say our life would be without pain or suffering. Christ had an angel comfort him in the agony of that garden, but the angel did not stop Christ’s crucifixion. Will pray for you.

1 Like

So in the end it does not matter if we live or die, right? Our bodies might cease to function but our life spirit, our soul goes on. So then, why all the hullabaloo about Guardian Angels?

You ask some very pertinent questions. In the end it’s not all about here, it’s about there (heaven). This life is just a means to get us over to the next place and religion is an attempt to explain it all. I think there is a phrase that goes something like this: “Life is not something to be figured out, it is a mystery to be lived”.

1 Like

God alone determines when it’s Your Time to go.

I would recommend reading this book and researching the subject here on CAF:

Don’t get me wrong, I do believe in angels and the devil and all that. I guess what I object to is that the Church put’s out this “Guardian Angel” business as if that is the be all and end all of our protection here on earth, as a pacifier for us humans if you will, to keep us calm as we go through this life. Like you said earlier we have a time to go and God will decide that, Guardian Angel or no Guardian Angel. So maybe the “Guardian Angel” business in the end is all somewhat superfluous.

Dead Zaccheus, Try going out of your way to do good for others. You will find the answers to your questions that way, I believe.

1 Like

I think children suffer tribulations and trials of life anytime they are attacked on purpose violently. Surly heaven is a gift of joy, a gift of love and a gift of being with God, plus our blessed mother, and all the saints for eternity which makes up for their suffering.

I’ve read the story of Job, multiple times over, actually, and if nothing else, it’s a good read. My issue is that it seems that over time, most likely after Christ’s resurrection–God developed a “catalog” of tribulations which He’s begun to callously cycle people through. You can find that a great deal of the Biblical suffering tropes manifest through the modern populous’ lives post-resurrection, and while some may think it virtuous to be able to suffer like the fathers of the church and the early saints, it seems to show from a divine perspective, that God views us, and consequently me–as inferior beings, whose greatest purpose comes only from emulating their “superiors”. While I don’t need to be some “overlord” in this world, let alone the next, I do want to be my own person, with my own life, trajectory, aspirations, and ends, not Job v1.0.1 (Beta).

If the trend continues faithfully, however, I wont even be that, given as all people that have suffered “as their predecessors” have, ultimately ended up with far less for their struggles. Maybe this is shifting bases slightly, but I feel that God is nothing short of cruel for doing that. It’s one thing to be born into an average life, and live average yet. It’s another to be supernaturally saved from the clutches of death and subjected to dreadfulness. It’s basically like Moses if he wasn’t chosen, just somehow, conveniently transported to safety, and then forgotten. That’s why I question God’s, and even the Guardian Angel’s–consideration. It’s like they’re intent on cycling the same narrative ad infinitum, and will even bring people back from the moment of death to do it.

I’ve found, from both my early life experiences, and from other Christians, my ma and pop respectively, that this “excessive grace” mentality doesn’t actually fix any problems in the person’s life. It’s almost as though, God, seeing that individual’s perserverence, deems them “satisfactory”, and abstains from blessing the individual with their heart’s desire for this reason if no other. I see where this very specific lifestyle leads, and I hopped off that route a long time ago. I’m tired of being subjected to the same “immortal” trends that so many others have to endure. It gets irritating after a while. Sure, “suffering will exist”, and yes, “we won’t always get what we want”, but when we never get certain prayers granted, and the same tribulations automatically loop like a playlist on a budget radio station, it starts to sound less like genuine truths, and more like blanket platitudes designed to cover for situations that not even the apologists can explain anymore.

I’ll start going out of my way when Christ actually begins to show signs that he cares about me, His creation, and not a nebulous collective that I may or may not be a part of. Until then, I’m going to fulfill my most basic obligations; attend weekly mass, avoid blatant mortal sins, and keep a roof over my head. Nothing less, and certainly nothing more–and when I finally meet God, I see what comes of it.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.