Your opinion on homosexual relationships

Hi everyone. So for a project I’m working on I need to select a current issue facing the catholic church and do research on it, and for my topic I chose Homosexuality. I figured in addition to just doing plain research I’d also grab direct opinions from you guys. So, what are your thoughts?

Since your question is unclear as to which you want our opinion on, I will answer as to both, but you might want to clarify whether you want our opinion on homosexuality, and involvement in homosexual relationships. They are two distinct issues.

Homosexuality itself is not sinful. Having homosexual relations is. The Catholic Church teaches that we are to love everyone, including those who are faced with homosexual tendencies, We are to treat people with same sex attraction with dignity and respect. We are not to condone or support the lifestyle choice that may include participating in a homosexual relationship. We are to encourage chastity.

Can you be more specific? That is a broad topic.

Yes, try to get to a smaller topic as quickly as possible. “Homosexuality” as a topic is like “North America” as a topic.

I’d suggest if you use this forum, you use it primarily to narrow your topic. You have to have real sources for a research project, and we’re not it.

Opinions are not relevant. Church teaching is relevant.

Church teaching can be found in the catechism of the Catholic Church. The church separates homosexual tendencies from actions. Being in a relationship would be an action.
We are to charitably minister to those who are disordered.

In the country who was born the Egypt(now i live in Germany) homosexual arrested!That is the true.Homosexuals must be arrested not marriage!If they dint want to apologized to God the countrys must arrested they not to law for same sex marriage!This who do the west europeans countrys is redigioulous!

Gercrazierhalf you are atheist?I was born as muslim but i hate islam when i read tge holy book of islam.Mohammet was a killer not holy!This book isnt holy is killing for Isis.I become atheist but now God save me i read the bible and u want become christian!You why dont become christian?

Jem, arresting people with homosexual inclinations would not help them, but rather would reinforce the feelings of isolation that frequently underlie all forms of sexual disorder. We should be reaching out to them to help them live according to God’s word, and help them to see that they don’t need to engage in a homosexual relationship to find fulfillment.

The Courage apostolate is a good organization to contact. There website is couragerc.org/

It is an apostolate for Catholics with same sex attraction who believe in and want to live the teachings of the Catholic Church. They would be good to ask any questions because they are actual Catholics who are homosexual but live according to the Church’s teachings. I have contacted them to ask questions in the past. I could tell you what the church’s teachings on homosexuality but it is much more helpful to hear it from a homosexual who is a Catholic and lives according to the Church’s teachings.

My name is Alexander Naser Naser and i am cipts i live in Mina a town in Egypt who the majority is copts Christians and i work as police in egyptian policeman.I write my biography in the biographys part of tgis forum.My country Egypt is the most religious country in Earth and have got very very different culture from atheist culture who have the “christians” (ant-christians) countrys in West Europe.Hercrazierhalf if i undrestand true is atheist who marriage a west christian!That isnt law of God!The christians must marriage only christians.This who do his wife who marriage atheist a people who dont believe the God is blasphemy for God and His son Jesus Christ!I work in egyptian police.If you are atheist or gay arrested.As police in Egyptian policeman in my town Mina a Coptic christian majority egyptian town i have arrested gays,atheists in Egypt is very little in Egypt i dont see never.And the little population who are atheists (only 0,2% in Egypt) are all ex-muslims.We Copts say God as “Allah” because we speak Arabs for language now but we arent Arabs or muslims.

In west countrys with gays and atheist and enlightement become evil countrys.Now in europe is the after-christian reason.The bible day the anti-christ walk the earth and that is the day who Copts was afraid.

I agree ProdglArchitect.

The title of this thread “Your opinion on homosexual relationships” is easily answered: the Church teaches that homosexual relations are morally wrong, and that is what I believe; but at the same time we should fight against intolerance directed against homosexual persons.

I’m reminded of how, several months ago, many of our bishops spoke out against such intolerance after the shooting in Orlando. (Yes, I do occasionally read things that aren’t posted on the Catholic Answers Forum. :cool: :D) For instance:

San Diego, Calif., Bishop Robert McElroy

Monday, June 13, 2016

Once again our nation has been murderously rent by hatred and violence, rooted in a counterfeit notion of religious faith and magnified by our gun culture. The shootings in Orlando are a wound to our entire society, and this time the LGBT community has been specifically targeted and victimized.

It is all too easy when faced with such wanton slaughter and human suffering to reach for a solution which is itself founded in hatred, prejudice and recrimination.

But our Catholic faith demands that we reject such a pathway and embrace with ever greater strength the solidarity of all people who stand as the one family of the God who is Father of us all.

We pray for the many victims in Orlando who were targeted for death simply because of their sexual orientation, and we grieve with their loving families and friends. This tragedy is a call for us as Catholics to combat ever more vigorously the anti-gay prejudice which exists in our Catholic community and in our country. We pray for the Muslim community in our nation, who have acted in unanimity to deplore this act of violence and to reject hatred rooted in a distortion of Muslim faith. We pray for the first responders whose courage and suffering are a witness to the spirit of sacrifice that ennobles American society. And we commit ourselves to a pathway which seeks true security for our nation not only in efforts to identify those who would do us harm, but far more importantly in building a culture which truly embodies and fortifies the equal dignity of every woman and man.

I worry replying to this may distract from the OP.

I agree that OP needs to narrow the question. IMO homosexuality is as natural as breathing. Sexuality itself is a sliding scale spectrum.

My opinion is basically biting the bullet of their impossibility under the Canon Law.

I assuming the bolded sentence is talking about the homosexual orientation. Even so, that strikes me as an overly-positive sentiment, if you don’t mind my saying so.

I think I get what you’re saying, but the question could be asked, Is it possible to take a more positive approach rather than seeing it merely as “biting the bullet”?

I note that Wesley Hill, one of whose talks was mentioned in another recent thread (see here) has another talk called “The Lost Art of Friendship and Singleness”. Admittedly I haven’t listened to it, but it sounds like a good resource w.r.t. that question.

For me, no. Nothing positive in not being able to share a life with the person I love.

I understand that the Church channels God’s will in this regard. I obey it - I am single. Doesn’t mean I like it. Doesn’t mean I owe " positivity" to people who aren’t robbed of this possibility.

I checked plenty of resources. Sounds beautiful in theory, fails to work in practice. At least, for me.

Fair enough, but that doesn’t mean that a more positive approach isn’t possible.

I still haven’t had a chance to listen to that other talk, but this is intriguing:

“Gay,” “Christian,” and “celibate” don’t often appear in the same sentence. Yet many who sit next to us in the pew at church fit that description, says author Wesley Hill.

As a celibate gay Christian, Hill gives us a glimpse of what it looks like to wrestle firsthand with God’s “No” to same-sex relationships. What does it mean for gay Christians to live faithful to God while struggling with the challenge of their homosexuality? What is God’s will for believers who experience same-sex desires? Those who choose celibacy are often left to deal with loneliness and the hunger for relationships. How can gay Christians experience God’s favor and blessing in the midst of a struggle that for many brings a crippling sense of shame and guilt?

Weaving together reflections from his own life and the lives of other Christians, such as Henri Nouwen and Gerard Manley Hopkins, Hill offers a fresh perspective on these questions. He advocates neither unqualified “healing” for those who struggle, nor their accommodation to temptation, but rather faithfulness in the midst of brokenness. “I hope this book may encourage other homosexual Christians to take the risky step of opening up their lives to others in the body of Christ,” Hill writes. “In so doing, they may find, as I have, by grace, that being known is spiritually healthier than remaining behind closed doors, that the light is better than the darkness.”

That refers to his book Washed and Waiting: Reflections on Christian Faithfulness and Homosexuality

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.