Your opinion on kneeling

Given the instruction from the GIRM

Therefore, attention should be paid to what is determined by this General Instruction and the traditional practice of the Roman Rite and to what serves the common spiritual good of the People of God, rather than private inclination or arbitrary choice.

Do you think it is OK to kneel, especially if there are no provisions?

I wanted to post a poll with three options, but it didn’t take me there, and also did not give me the option to delete.

These are the options

1. Stand always.

2. Kneel, if there are provisions and I have not been instructed to stand.

3. Kneel always.

Well in our Church we have soft kneelers, but if I’m in a place without, I always kneel at the Consecration regardless if the floor is hard or not,out of respect & penance.

I think kneeling always would be great. Many people can’t do this however. Right now, I believe we have the perfect balance between sitting, standing and kneeling.

ybiC,
Trevor

Sorry --I messed this up—

first I couldn’t post the poll

Secondly—I meant posture for reception of Holy Communion—If someone can post the poll, I would appreciate it. I am just wondering what is the majority opinion.

Thanks

[quote=Mysty101]Sorry --I messed this up—

first I couldn’t post the poll

Secondly—I meant posture for reception of Holy Communion—If someone can post the poll, I would appreciate it. I am just wondering what is the majority opinion.

Thanks
[/quote]

I’d prefer to kneel myself. But we have to follow the prescribed norm for our culture, even if it is somewhat questionable.

in an appalling offense against charity, those who remodelled the churches so drastically, entirely without direction from any Vatican II document, removed the communion rails which assisted kneeling (and rising again). For those of us unable to to so without such assistance, kneeling is not an option now.

When I was in the military, it was necessary to show respect to the rank of officers with a higher grade. The custom in the military was to show this respect by rendering a hand salute. Now if a person from a different culture joins the U.S. military they might think that it would be more respectful to bow instead of salute. But, of course, they would not be allowed to do that. It doesn’t make a difference what the individual thinks is more respectful, the rule of the culture and the rule of the law is to issue a hand salute.

How can one claim to be showing respect to something by disrespecting that thing’s authority?

So it is here. The Successors of the Apostles, with the authority passed to them from the Lord, Jesus Christ, have said that the appropriate sign of respect in the United States is to receive standing with a bow preceding. Some might think it’s more appropriate to kneel, others might think it’s more appropriate to genuflect instead of bow, and yet others might think it’s more appropriate not to bow at all. The point is that it doesn’t make a difference. You can not, IMO, show respect to Christ by ignoring the authority that he gave to His Church.

Well stated Timidity :slight_smile:

“Not My Will God, BUT YOURS.” :thumbsup:

Yes, very well stated

I got the poll to work—please respond there.

Well, If Christ Himself showed Himself to me right before my eyes…my knees would most assuredly buckle before His Presence!

[quote=Timidity]… The point is that it doesn’t make a difference. You can not, IMO, show respect to Christ by ignoring the authority that he gave to His Church.
[/quote]

Tell that to the Bishops as well, as they are to “respect Christ” USING their authority.
The REAL problem is:
** The bishops diminish their “respect for Christ” (their Supreme Officer) and then we are all to follow like sheeple.
**What if your commanding officer said that you will no longer salute the the President, but just hold your your hat in your. I’m sure that would please the President?
I’ve heard all the “practical” reasons, but they hold no water.
Look at thisMETHODST instructional site They Kneel and do it for a Symbol. and IF RECEIVING IN THE HAND, THEY WASH FIRST. See their Communion rail here, we are required to stand for the alleged Real Presence. We’re just not supposed to ACT like it. Check the Lutherans here also…Kneel
(This is not true in EVERY Meth or Luth synod.)
I just go to the TLM where this is NEVER an issue, and you can respect the Supreme Officer as best we can. For, there is NO greater respect or submission, than to go down on one’s knees in western civilization, which is where we live. We don’t live in the Orient, or the Middle east.

Mt 16:18 And I also say unto thee, that thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of Hades shall not prevail against it.

19 I will give unto thee the keys of the kingdom of heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt bind on earth shall be bound in heaven; and whatsoever thou shalt loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven.

RS
THE REGULATION OF THE SACRED LITURGY
[14.] “The regulation of the Sacred Liturgy depends solely on the authority of the Church, which rests specifically with the Apostolic See and, according to the norms of law, with the Bishop.[34]

and again…

bump 4 Mysty

“Every knee shall bend” It’s not optional without "good reason"
GIRM21. The abscense of kneelers is not a “good reason”

We are required by the Church to kneel. The absence of kneelers or padded kneelers is not a sufficiently “good reason”. Kneelers are only for comfort. The obligation is there whether it’s the floor or nice keelers.

Even in churhes where the kneelers have been removed to accomodate more pews, the Church requires that enough space be left available so as to allow keeling from the beginning of the consecration through the Great Amen.

First I think we as Catholic’s should follow the General Instructions of the Roman Missal and Instruction on the Eucharist, as amended by the USCCB and approved by the Holy See. If you want to kneel during the reception of the Blessed Sacrament, it is you right to do so. Although the USCCB has said that standing is the acceptable practice in the USA, one cannot be refused the Sacrament if kneeling. Your priest may question your intentions but hold firm if you think that God is calling you to kneel. The Holy See has actually sent three separate letters to the USCCB requesting them to amend their position. Concerning your other questions, it is clearly defined in the references stated above.

This thread dates from January 2005 and as the topic has been discussed many times since then, this one is now closed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.