Your opinion on Posture for Reception of Communion

Given the instruction from the GIRM

Therefore, attention should be paid to what is determined by this General Instruction and the traditional practice of the Roman Rite and to what serves the common spiritual good of the People of God, rather than private inclination or arbitrary choice. Do you think it is OK to kneel, especially if there are no provisions?

Do you think it is OK to kneel to receive Holy Communion, especially if there are no provisions?

Unless they’re are altar rails and provisions for me to kneel. It matters not to me…He matters most and I kneel humbly in my heart regardless of my posture.

It is my understanding that the posture in the United States is standing. So the question of no provision is answered by the fact that there is a provision.

[quote=Mysty101]Given the instruction from the GIRM
Do you think it is OK to kneel to receive Holy Communion, especially if there are no provisions?
[/quote]

As I see it, it is ok to stand if preceded by a “pronounced bow”, OR is equally ok to kneel.

Me:

If Christ Himself showed Himself to me right before my eyes…my knees would most assuredly buckle before His Presence!

[quote=jlw]As I see it, it is ok to stand if preceded by a “pronounced bow”, OR is equally ok to kneel.

Me:
[/quote]

The norm in the US is standing.

I would prefer to kneel. If I could take communion prostrate on the ground I would. Our Diocese has decided for us to stand and make a profound bow.

I don’t like it but we must listen to our Bishop.

The King of the Universe is before us. If we were to see Jesus and His Body at the front of the line, I am sure we would all be on our faces.

ybiC,
Trevor

Stand, as that is what we are asked to do.

[quote=Mysty101]The norm in the US is standing.
[/quote]

Can you give a reference for that?

[quote=Mysty101]The norm in the US is standing.
[/quote]

norm means required??

WHY (that dreaded word, again) is it that they decided standing was just as (or even more?) reverened as kneeling before OUR LORD???

[quote=jlw]norm means required??

WHY (that dreaded word, again) is it that they decided standing was just as (or even more?) reverened as kneeling before OUR LORD???
[/quote]

I think it’s kind of like the drive-thru at McDonalds.

:wink:

[quote=jlw]norm means required??
[/quote]

No. You cannot be denied communion for kneeling at reception or kneeling during the Gospel or not making the sign of the cross or standing during the Epistle or sitting for the Creed.

No. You cannot be denied communion for kneeling at reception or kneeling during the Gospel or not making the sign of the cross or standing during the Epistle or sitting for the Creed.
Right. The GIRM does give instructions to remain standing before and after (why, I’m not sure, but…) recieving the Body, Blood, Soul, and Divinity of Our Lord, but does not say that we MUST stand or MUST kneel when actually recieving Him.

[quote=jlw]Right. The GIRM does give instructions to remain standing before and after (why, I’m not sure, but…) recieving the Body, Blood, Soul, and Divinity of Our Lord, but does not say that we MUST stand or MUST kneel when actually recieving Him.
[/quote]

The GIRM does not say to stand after we receive Communion. Quite the opposite in fact. In GIRM #43:

“…They should, however, sit while the readings before the Gospel and the responsorial Psalm are proclaimed and for the homily and while the Preparation of the Gifts at the Offertory is taking place; and, as circumstances allow, they may sit or kneel while the period of sacred silence after Communion is observed…

The GIRM does indeed say we must stand when receiving Communion in paragraph #160. It even says that if we don’t, we are to receive catechesis on the reasons for following this norm or standard.

"The priest then takes the paten or ciborium and goes to the communicants, who, as a rule, approach in a procession.

The faithful are not permitted to take the consecrated bread or the sacred chalice by themselves and, still less, to hand them from one to another. The norm for reception of Holy Communion in the dioceses of the United States is standing. Communicants should not be denied Holy Communion because they kneel. Rather, such instances should be addressed pastorally, by providing the faithful with proper catechesis on the reasons for this norm…"

It’s downright sad how some suggest that if Holy Communion cannot be denied because they kneel, then it’s OK to kneel. Hogwash. That’s not what the GIRM says, and those that say it does are doing nothing but placing their idea of what is “best” ahead of what the Church actually directs as shown above.

I stand because their are no provisions to kneel or I would …and I bow my head

[quote=Nota Bene]It’s downright sad how some suggest that if Holy Communion cannot be denied because they kneel, then it’s OK to kneel. Hogwash. That’s not what the GIRM says, and those that say it does are doing nothing but placing their idea of what is “best” ahead of what the Church actually directs as shown above.
[/quote]

I agree—as in my signature.

[quote=Nota Bene]***…GIRM: ***The norm for reception of Holy Communion in the dioceses of the United States is standing. Communicants should not be denied Holy Communion because they kneel. **Rather, such instances should be addressed pastorally, by providing the faithful with proper catechesis on the reasons **for this norm…"

It’s downright sad how some suggest that if Holy Communion cannot be denied because they kneel, then it’s OK to kneel. Hogwash. That’s not what the GIRM says, and those that say it does are doing nothing but placing their idea of what is “best” ahead of what the Church actually directs as shown above.
[/quote]

The best kept SECRET in the Newchurch is:
:***the reasons **for this norm…"

I tried on multiple threads to get someone, anyone, even a priest to give clearly those reasons.............dead silence.
 Only one gave a proposed answer, indirectly from the document of VATII:

…to foster whatever can promote union among all who believe in Christ

; (VATII-speak for protestants) to strengthen whatever can help to call the whole of mankind (VATII-speak for pagans) into the household of the Church. The Council therefore sees particularly cogent reasons for undertaking the reform and promotion of the liturgy. ** **In Short: Ecumenism
** [left]Ecumenism: The tearing apart of the INSIDE to gain acceptance from the OUTSIDE. (TNT)

[/left]

The faithful are not permitted to take the consecrated bread or the sacred chalice by themselves and, still less, to hand them from one to another.

According to this statement from the GIRM, IMHO, one should not take the consecrated host in one’s hand.

I would knee if I could, but I do as we are told out of obedience to the Bishop.

I only saw some one kneeling to receive communion once in my life, and this was only during this past summer. I had never even known this posture was an option. that being said, I am a clutz, and I worry every time I receive communion, no matter how old I get this fear is still with me, that I will drop the host somehow, so I feel best receiving communion in the hand from the priest, standing.

Actually, I believe that is a prohibition against “self” communication.

We have a communion rail, padded kneelers, and we kneel. Period done end of story.

Quite frankly the whole standing is the “norm” business is ONLY about not spending the money to put back the communion rails that they ripped up on the 70’s.

**The best kept SECRET in the Newchurch is:

:***the reasons ***for this norm…"

**EXACTLY. **

And nobody here seems to care why???

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.