Your opinion on the theory of...?

"The bible is a book collected of made up moraled stories to make people behave and do ONLY good in this world…being led they will be rewarded in the afterlife?

I dont personally believe the theory but it has played on my mind lately!

Any thoughts?

[quote=godsent]"The bible is a book collected of made up moraled stories to make people behave and do ONLY good in this world…being led they will be rewarded in the afterlife?

Any thoughts?
[/quote]

Well, the Bible is a book, of collected texts, written by people, describing how to do good and receive a reward in return.

What’s the problem?

[quote=godsent]"The bible is a book collected of made up moraled stories to make people behave and do ONLY good in this world…being led they will be rewarded in the afterlife?

Any thoughts?
[/quote]

i wouldnt flirt with the idea to long brother.
Ive done alot of research, its kind of silly. The wisdom of the Bible alone sets apart from any other. Besides, historically speaking, the people who wrote these “made up moral stories” died living by the very things they stood for." They must have fooled themselves! Lol. I speak of the Prophets and Apostles. Look at the witness of Prophesy…simply amazing…

Think about it this way: What did the early Christians stand to gain by “making up” a religion, and consequently its sacred texts?

Answer: Persecution, execution, crucifixion, and centuries of social and political intollerance. What good is “making people be good” if it gets you killed? You don’t see people dying for a hoax.

-ACEGC

What is ‘doing good’ and why should anybody do it, especially if it is hard or inconvenient in any way? I just want what I want.

[quote=VociMike]What is ‘doing good’ and why should anybody do it, especially if it is hard or inconvenient in any way? I just want what I want.
[/quote]

heh…i hope your kidding

[quote=Anonymous_1]heh…i hope your kidding
[/quote]

Well, I’m not stating my own beliefs, but in the sense that I’m asking a couple of serious questions about the underpinnings of the original claim, I’m not kidding.

If people made up stories to have people be good, what does it even mean to be good, and why should anybody bother? Why is “being good” a goal to be persued? A person looking out on the world could make the case that they could be happier (whatever that may mean to them) by doing whatever they way, and taking whatever they want.

[/quote]

I’m an atheist, and not even I have such a simplistic view of the Bible.

[quote=PLP]I’m an atheist, and not even I have such a simplistic view of the Bible.
[/quote]

edited

Looks like a theory from the office of “they.” They made up these stories to make us behave. They don’t want us doing our own thing. Who are these people who occupy this office? They seem to wield a lot of havoc in the world don’t they? :slight_smile:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.