Your Parish's Activities

Hi,

I’m not sure this is the proper forum, but couldn’t figure out a better one. I’m sure it will get whisked somewhere else if need be! :slight_smile:

My question is: What kind of activities outside of Mass does your parish offer? Mine has a Divine Mercy group, a Scripture Study, and the Legion of Mary. I’m thinking about joining the Scripture Study, but for various reasons I don’t think the other two would work for me. So I’m thinking about being proactive about other ideas. I’m wondering about maybe getting a book group together, since I love to read, but my last experience in a secular book group showed that I wanted to read more classic stuff than everyone else, so I don’t know if that would work.

I’m on the parish council and intend to chat with our pastor and/or pastoral assistant about what may have been tried before or what they might think good, but wanted to get some feedback here if possible.

On a liturgical note, I’d love to get weekly Adoration going, but that’s a separate kettle of fish at the moment! :slight_smile:

It’s difficult for me to name all the things which my parish hosts, but there is First Friday Adoration, Scripture Study, various commissions and organizations like the Knights of Columbus. All the normal things, I guess. I’m sure the Hispanic community hosts a lot of things which I don’t know about.

The best thing you can do is to definitely discuss your plans with the priest and the council. We didn’t have any Eucharistic Adoration until a group of guys got together and laid out the terms to our pastor.

Gosh, we have it all:

Knights of Columbus, Divine Mercy, Sacred Heart Enthronement, Hispanic Group, Tavola di San Giussepe (St. Joseph’s Table), Italian Catholic Federation, St. Anne Society, San Pietro Society, Legion of Mary, Scripture Study, Nocturnal Adoration, Croatian Catholic Family Guild, San Lorenzo Filipino Society, Altar Society, Velike Gospe (Croatian Women), Fiesta Committee, Life Teen, Mary & Martha Hospitality, Silent Prayer Group, Repect Life, Trapetto Club (Sicilians), Christian Service and I think that is it!

Wow!! I’ll have to check out the ones I don’t know much about (although I don’t think we have any Croatian parishioners… I do work with a woman married to a man from Croatia, but that’s it :wink: )

You probably do not. Where I live, we have the largest population of Croatians outside of Croatia (I am part Croatian myself, my great-grandmother came from there).

A couple you may not be familiar with:

St. Joseph’s Table is a beautiful tradition on the old Feast of St. Joseph, March 19th. In Sicily, some centuries ago, they had a great famine. It had not rained in years. The people prayed to St. Joseph, that God may spare them. Finally, near the Feast, rain came pouring down and the crops were saved! So, every year, they put on a great banquet to thank St. Joseph (San Giussepe), full of food and drinks. It is really fun, and I can get you info on how they do it. While it is a Sicilian tradition, anyone can do it, of course.

San Pietro is for fishermen and their families.

Italian Catholic Federation is a nation-wide organization, and they have a website: www.icf.org

If you have questions on any others, just ask! :thumbsup:

Yeah, I’m sure somewhere in the Bay Area we must have some (more than my friend’s hubby) :), but you’re right that at least in my immediate area there’s not a large contingent.

Thanks for the info and the offer of more! I will be doing some searching tomorrow. I should pray my rosary and get to bed… tomorrow is promising to be a challenging day, and not in a good way.

I wonder if there’s anything for Welsh Catholics like me. :wink: (I suppose I’d make a pretty small group all by myself. LOL.)

Good question. I am also Welsh, and Italian as you might have guessed from the other post! And several other things as well!

We have a bunch of activities, too (mostly during the day, which means I can’t participate in them since I’m working).

Just some of them…

• Altar Servers
  • Altar Society (cleaning the sanctuary, ironing the altar cloths, basically)
  • Blessed Virgin Mary Sodality
  • Daily Rosary and Divine Mercy Chaplet after the 9am Mass. (only the Divine Mercy Chaplet if there’s a 9am funeral Mass since it’s 1 hour).
  • Evangelization Comittee (they go door to door! :smiley: I think it’s more faith sharing, but they give the person a Bible.)
  • Father’s Club (for the dad’s of the church school kids)
  • Grief Ministry
  • Liturgy Comittee
  • Men’s Prayer Group
  • Narcotics (and Alcoholics) Anonymous
  • Our Daily Bread (food pantry)
  • Pastoral Council (not sure what it does - never hear of it…)
  • Pastoral Outreach (I believe this is visiting the sick and infirm)
  • Respect Life Comittee (praying the rosary in front of abortion clinics)
  • RCIA Team
  • Rosary & Faith Sharing
  • St. Vincent De Paul Society (handles donations of clothes and other items. We have three donation bins in the back of the church that seem eternally full. :thumbsup: )
  • Third Friday Club
  • Vacation Bible School
  • Youth Ministry

saintwilliams.org/

Go to the main menu: click on : Ministries (English) and also some other ministries by Spanish groups

Thanks! I’m actually on our parish council and mostly it’s just informational. What’s the Third Firday Club?

I agree – lots of stuff during the weekdays is a bummer for the full-time employed.

The Third Friday Club (it’s every 1st and 3rd friday night) is basically Bingo Night for the elderly (sometimes with snacks and other small activities). :slight_smile:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.