Your special relationship with the Saints?

I was reading about some of the Catholic saints today and found it fascinating and inspiring to me.

I’d love to hear about any saints whose lives and stories are profoundly meaningful to you? I’m looking for some more to read about and learn from.

Thank you!

I think you would enjoy the story of St. Augustine.

Saint Francis of Assisi and Saint Therese of Lisieux are really great saints to read about and invoke upon for help and intercession.

But, really, all of the saints are great to read about, because they are all unique in their own ways and have a very special and distinct relationship with the Lord.

May God bless you all! :slight_smile:

Try reading the lives of St. Francis of Assissi, St. Anthony of Padua and St. Augustine.

Thank you!

I will read about these saints tomorrow…

Though it is a work of fiction, I have immensely enjoyed “Set All Afire” (about St. Francis Xavier) by Louis de Wohl. It is so good!! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

I have a special relationship with Bl. Dina Belanger. We have lots in common: she lived in Canada, was very orderly and precise, and had awful temper tantrums as a child. :rolleyes: She was also a pianist like me! :smiley:

Here is a story that we also sort of share in common.

One day her teacher asked Dina if she knew her patron saint. ‘No’, Dina said, ‘do I have one?’ ‘I think so,’ Sister answered, ‘I’m going to look it up.’ The only one who had that name was the daughter of the Biblical patriarch Jacob, in the Old Testament Book of Genesis. There was no ‘Saint Dina’ on the calendar of the Church, either. So Dina said to herself, ‘Very well! Then I shall be a saint, and be a patroness to those who will, in the future, be called by my name.’ She calls this her ‘first ideal.’

I am often drawn to learning about the Saints that we don’t know as much about. For instance, I chose St. Synnove of Norway as my confirmation saint. While we don’t know much about her life, we know she spread Christianity through Norway and when she was killed her body did not decay. Her body was found many years after her death and it was perfectly preserved. I feel she was probably a very strong and impressive lady during her lifetime, so I really look up to her.

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

I’d also recommend St. Padre Pio of Pieltrecina and St. Therese of Lisieux.

St. Therese of Lisieux is a Saint almost everybody can identify with. She is a simple soul with a simple spiritual path that has led her to be declared a Doctor of the Church. Her autobiography The Story of a Soul is a classic and worth the read.

I am fond of her because she has a simple and direct relationship with God and helps me to remember what is really important in the spiritual life. It need not be lofty or complicated, as we humans tend to make it. Her secret is LOVE.

Open up your bible and read or re-read the parts about Saint Peter. He was such a character. The life of Saint Peter calls to me because he was so close to Jesus, yet he had his faults which we all do… Still the Lord loved him and made him part of His plan…

Then there are lots of other books about his life…

St. Damien of Molokai is my one and only. The one who brought me back to the church really.

Watch this movie:

youtube.com/watch?v=Wpnee2hbY4w

Its in 10 minute increments -12 parts. Netflix may have it streaming too.

For more information, you can also check out my group page about him

St. Thérèse of Lisieux and St. Bernadette. Both served Our Lord with the utmost humility and profound love through little things. I could never do big bold things like conquering enemies like St. Joan of Arc, or care for the sick and dying far away from my home like Blessed Mother Teresa. I have trouble identifying with our Blessed Mother because I feel I fall short so badly. :o St. Thérèse and St. Bernadette are the ones that make me feel like my tiny offerings are somehow significant to Our Lord. I can try and serve those around me. I can love Our Lord. I can be true to myself and sincere in my love for God, even if I am not the smartest, bravest, most ascetic person out there. They taught me that, and I love them dearly because of it. :heart:

I have a very close and special relationship with St. Thérèse of Lisieux(My patron Saint) and St. Gemma Galgani.

I enjoy Joan of Ark, Gemma Galgani, Padre Pio and many others but especially those three

The legends of early martyrs St. Barbara, St. Catherine of Alexandria, St. Lucy. St. Agatha. St. Helen of jerusalem, and Saint Martha of bethany are some of my favorite santas
my santos are San Jude his legends are not extensive but his stories of intercession are lovely, st, augustine , I also read a book about the 14 holy helpers that I enjoyed a while back.

ooo baby.
Padre Pio.

Talk about amazing, exciting, miraculous, and poignant.

Check it out.
I have a really cool Padre Pio story myself…pm me if you wanna hear it, LOL

peace!
pianist

One of Padre Pio’s prayers:

*Stay with me, Lord, for it is necessary to have You present so that I do not forget You. You know how easily I abandon You.

Stay with me, Lord, because I am weak and I need Your strength, that I may not fall so often.

Stay with me, Lord, for You are my life, and without You, I am without fervor.

Stay with me, Lord, for You are my light, and without You, I am in darkness.

Stay with me, Lord, to show me Your will.

Stay with me, Lord, so that I hear Your voice and follow You.

Stay with me, Lord, for I desire to love You very much, and always be in Your company.

Stay with me, Lord, if You wish me to be faithful to You.

Stay with me, Lord, for as poor as my soul is, I wish it to be a place of consolation for You, a nest of Love.

Stay with me, Jesus, for it is getting late and the day is coming to a close, and life passes, death, judgement, eternity approaches. It is necessary to renew my strength, so that I will not stop along the way and for that, I need You. It is getting late and death approaches. I fear the darkness, the temptations, the dryness, the cross, the sorrows. O how I need You, my Jesus, in this night of exile!

Stay with me tonight, Jesus, in life with all its dangers, I need You.

Let me recognize You as Your disciples did at the breaking of bread, so that the Eucharistic Communion be the light which disperses the darkness, the force which sustains me, the unique joy of my heart.

Stay with me, Lord, because at the hour of my death, I want to remain united to You, if not by Communion, at least by grace and love.

Stay with me, Jesus, I do not ask for divine consolation, because I do not merit it, but, the gift of Your Presence, oh yes, I ask this of You!

Stay with me, Lord, for it is You alone I look for. Your Love, Your Grace, Your Will, Your Heart, Your Spirit, because I love You and ask no other reward but to love You more and more.

With a firm love, I will love You with all my heart while on earth and continue to love You perfectly during all eternity.

Amen*

That’s a beautiful prayer Isaiah. Thank you so much for sharing :slight_smile:

For me, the life of St. Catherine of Genoa, who lived during the fifteenth-sixteenth centuries, has always been particularly poignant.

At 13 she wanted to become a nun and live a life devoted to God, however she was compelled by her parents wishes at 16 to marry a young Genoese nobleman who had came back from travels and military expeditions in the Middle East, hardened and tormented by his experiences. Their marriage was a ploy to end the feud between their two families. Catherine proved unable to bear her husband any children and the relationship between the spouses was absolutely dreadful. Giuliano, her husband, turned out to be unfaithful, abusive, bad-tempered and a spendthrift.

Ten years into this terrible marriage, in which St. Catherine felt herself to be trapped, she prayed “that for three months God may keep me (Catherine) sick in bed” so that she could escape from her marriage, but her prayer received no answer and she started to despair with her life.

Then, one day in March of 1473, she had a profound mystical experience during the sacrament of confession, which she described as an overwhelming awareness of God’s filial love. She suddenly ran out of the church, without completing her confession to the priest, which signified a new stage in her life: in which she experienced a state of continual, constant consciousness of God in a state of interior prayer, without any external signs such as rosaries, prostrations or the like. She started to take Holy Communion daily and to provide selfless care to those afflicted by the plague in a hospital in Genoa.

Her husband was amazed by her transformation and deeply humbled when he saw the depths of his wife’s newfound compassion for the sick, to the extent that he too was “converted” and decided to join her in the hospital, treating these poor people. He went on to become a Franciscan tertiary, or rather a member of their Third Order for Laity, while she remained part of no religious order in accordance with her “inner state” of mystical rapture.

Her husband’s spendthrift ways had bankrupt them, leading them to move into the large hospital permanently, so as to be even closer to the infirm for whom they cared.

Catherine became the manager of the hospital, directing everything that took place, a job she rejoiced in.

She passed away in 1510. Before she died, a priest called Father Marabotti became her spiritual advisor and wrote a volume of works recording her life and spiritual experiences, that went on to become classics of Catholic spirituality. These works advanced the theological understanding of the doctrine of purgatory.

On wikiquote, I compiled last year some quotations from St. Catherine’s “writings” (their more accurately described as talks) so that people could get a flavour for her works:

en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Catherine_of_Genoa

At the bottom, there are some large quotations written by people about her life and thought.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.