Your thoughts & views on Carmen Humphrey & other "healers"?

Before, I begin I'm not promoting this person or anything like that and I am wondering what your thoughts and views are?

This woman has claimed to have private revelations, she lives about 86.4 miles from my hometown, she is related to Religious Brothers and Sisters, and I've probably mentioned her or her webpage before.

Some of my relatives and people that I know tell my other relatives to contact her for prayers...It's okay to request prayers but a person should always put their faith and trust in Our Lord.

carmenhumphrey.org/

catholicplanet.com/apparitions/true15.htm

Personally, I don't "believe" this woman. I was wondering as a Catholic is it okay not to accept or believe in somethings like Carmen Humphrey? or "healers"?

On her personal webpage she has a picture of "Our Lady of Peace" aka Medjugorje Mary which hasn't been approved by the Catholic Church.

Here is another website evaluating Carmen Humphrey...I agree with this person and as far as I'm concerned I think Carmen has an over-active imagination.

catholicdoors.com/faq/qu235.htm

I recall about 6 years ago (or longer) when my grandmother was sick and in ICU. (My grandmother has alzheimer's, COPD, and so forth). One of my relatives contacted this older woman (not Carmen Humphrey's) who claimed to be a Catholic healer. At that time, I went to visit my grandmother, I didn't realize this woman was there. I walked into the "Quiet Room" where my relatives were, this woman grabbed ahold of me, we were forehead to forehead, she kept whispering, "Oh you love Jesus and Mary so much. Oh you love Jesus and Mary so much." She basically tried to knock me down <--almost like a faith healer.

When she left I asked my other relatives about her. She told my mom that I needed to go to Medjugorje. Why would I need to go Medjugorje? God is everywhere. Our Lord is present in Church. My cousin told me that this woman heard a knock at her door, she answered the door, it was a Priest, and this Priest turned into the devil. Another story, she heard a knock at the door, she answered it and it was children, these children told this woman that they were hungry, she gave them something to eat, she told them to leave, and they turned into demons.

If you're wondering no I don't "believe" this woman either.

Has anyone ever claimed to have Private revelations or be a healer in your area? What did you do?

I'm very leery towards people who claim they are "healers." Perhaps, God made me that way and another relative said the same thing.

It's always best to believe what has been approved by the Catholic Church.

I do Pray for these people.

God bless,
goforgoal

The vast majority of alleged healers, visionaries etc are not of Heaven. The Church does not require us to believe any alleged private revelations or healers, or anything else of that nature. Were not bound to accept even approved phenomena like Fatima! To tell you to go to Medjugorje is ridiculous. That place has been the cause of so much confusion and division and disobedience its tragic. It`s also caused an explosion of other questionable visionaries etc.

Keep in mind that the fallen angels can perform fake cures. They can make a person ill, and then at the appropriate time, “cure” him. Vicka had a mysterious mental illness for some time, and suddenly was “cured”. It`s claimed she had a brain tumour, but she was scanned for that…

i dont know of any alleged visionaries or healers in this area, and dont want to know; except maybe to steer clear of them. The “slain in the Spirit” caper bothers me; our Lord didn`t knock down any of the sick!

Unless something receives Church approval, its safest to stay right away from it. CS Lewis said: "When you sup with the devil, use a long spoon.". Its best for you and the rest of us to be “leery”. Too many folks go chasing after alleged “signs and wonders”. It`s unhealthy.

PS
A person may feel cured after experiencing a healer, but it may be "all in the mind". The long term result has to be checked out.

[quote="goforgoal, post:1, topic:183153"]
Before, I begin I'm not promoting this person or anything like that and I am wondering what your thoughts and views are?

This woman has claimed to have private revelations, she lives about 86.4 miles from my hometown, she is related to Religious Brothers and Sisters, and I've probably mentioned her or her webpage before.

Some of my relatives and people that I know tell my other relatives to contact her for prayers...It's okay to request prayers but a person should always put their faith and trust in Our Lord.

carmenhumphrey.org/

catholicplanet.com/apparitions/true15.htm

Personally, I don't "believe" this woman. I was wondering as a Catholic is it okay not to accept or believe in somethings like Carmen Humphrey? or "healers"?

On her personal webpage she has a picture of "Our Lady of Peace" aka Medjugorje Mary which hasn't been approved by the Catholic Church.

Here is another website evaluating Carmen Humphrey...I agree with this person and as far as I'm concerned I think Carmen has an over-active imagination.

catholicdoors.com/faq/qu235.htm

I recall about 6 years ago (or longer) when my grandmother was sick and in ICU. (My grandmother has alzheimer's, COPD, and so forth). One of my relatives contacted this older woman (not Carmen Humphrey's) who claimed to be a Catholic healer. At that time, I went to visit my grandmother, I didn't realize this woman was there. I walked into the "Quiet Room" where my relatives were, this woman grabbed ahold of me, we were forehead to forehead, she kept whispering, "Oh you love Jesus and Mary so much. Oh you love Jesus and Mary so much." She basically tried to knock me down <--almost like a faith healer.

When she left I asked my other relatives about her. She told my mom that I needed to go to Medjugorje. Why would I need to go Medjugorje? God is everywhere. Our Lord is present in Church. My cousin told me that this woman heard a knock at her door, she answered the door, it was a Priest, and this Priest turned into the devil. Another story, she heard a knock at the door, she answered it and it was children, these children told this woman that they were hungry, she gave them something to eat, she told them to leave, and they turned into demons.

If you're wondering no I don't "believe" this woman either.

Has anyone ever claimed to have Private revelations or be a healer in your area? What did you do?

I'm very leery towards people who claim they are "healers." Perhaps, God made me that way and another relative said the same thing.

It's always best to believe what has been approved by the Catholic Church.

I do Pray for these people.

God bless,
goforgoal

[/quote]

If she is telling people to go to Medjugorie then she is definitely a fake.
Three Bishops Commissions have declared there is no evidence of any supernatural happenings in Medjugorie and that the alleged visionaries are frauds.

Stick to those deemed worthy of belief by the Church (even though we are free not to believe them as they are private revelations).

what does this Carmen person’s bishop say about her? call the chancery and ask, better yet write a letter with your inquiry so you have a written reply from the bishop. Until you have proof positive her activities and claims are endorsed by her bishop there is nothing supernatural going on, and there may be danger in consulting her.

Sorry to go offtopic, but I have to correct you because what you wrote istn’t true. The bishops decided there was no evidence of supernatural things going on in Međugorje, but they never called the alleged visionaries to be frauds.

Considering what the original bishop and the current bishop, who was appointed by the late Pope, have said, and the contempt and disobedience shown towards the legitimate authority of the bishops by the alleged seers and their associates, there has to be something wrong with Medjugorje. Disobedience is NOT from Heaven. And the fact that there have been conversions etc doesnt prove it right, either. The contempt/disobedience factor has spread through the world. ive seen it firsthand.
Disobedient Franciscans, the “Gospa” saying that two of them were saints. “Heavenly threats” against Bishop Zanic … etc …

Saint Pio is “Saint Pio”, not because of all of his mystical experiences etc, but because he lived a life of heroic virtue, obeying his religious superiors even when they treated him unjustly. In the end, he was vindicated. He didn`t go around trumpeting his cause the way the Medjugorje promoters do, AGAINST THE DIRECTIVES OF TWO SUCCESSIVE BISHOPS.

PS
The Church is Divinely instituted. The legitimate authority of a bishop overrides alleged messages from Heaven.

I think you misunderstood what I wrote. I never said that there is something wrong, nor that there is not. I respect what the Church has to say on this and I am fully obedient to the magisterium. I just wanted to emphasize that the bishops’ conference of former Yugoslavia, which was competent to decide on the matter, looked into the case and decided there was no evidence of anything supernatural going on down there. But they never called anyone a fraud, because there has to be an open possibility of investigating the case a bit deeper once the alleged apparitions should end.
There is no need of calling anyone a fraud or something, I think it’s enough to respect and listen to what they said - you can go there for private pilgrimages, but at this moment we cannot tell you that there is something special down there for you to experience, that you couldn’t experience in any other church in the world.

wrong
the divinely instituted Church through the authority of the bishop handed on by Christ through the apostles, investigates and decides whether or not something supernatural is happening, and if it is, whether its source is heaven or satan. Until the bishop has spoken, the faithful should take no notice of the alleged events. If he has spoken against the events, the faithful should obey. It is impossible that any true messenger from heaven will speak against the Church and the bishops. If the self-appointed visionary is speaking agains the Church and the bishop, that is proof positive the events are not from heaven.

I have never heard of the person mentioned by OP, and we are not to discuss the M events here. If you have heard of someone in your area who is attracting a following because of alleged healings, messages, locutions, visits or whatever, contact that person’s bishop to give you information. Any other source of information is suspect, especially a website established by the alleged visionary.

If anyone has information on OP’s question they should provide it and a link. If not, they should not go on side trips comparing it to other such claims.

[quote="puzzleannie, post:10, topic:183153"]
wrong
the divinely instituted Church through the authority of the bishop handed on by Christ through the apostles, investigates and decides whether or not something supernatural is happening, and if it is, whether its source is heaven or satan. Until the bishop has spoken, the faithful should take no notice of the alleged events. If he has spoken against the events, the faithful should obey. It is impossible that any true messenger from heaven will speak against the Church and the bishops. If the self-appointed visionary is speaking agains the Church and the bishop, that is proof positive the events are not from heaven

If anyone has information on OP's question they should provide it and a link. If not, they should not go on side trips comparing it to other such claims.

[/quote]

"Wrong"? No: Right.
My sentiments exactly!
You misread Post #8.
i said: "The Church is Divinely instituted. The legitimate authority of a bishop OVERRIDES alleged messages from Heaven.". i don`t see how you could interpret it the way you did. Post #7 also shows my stand on M etc. Please re-read both posts.

This misunderstanding happened once before ......

M isn`t really off topic on this thread, because goforgoal mentions it ...... so, the rest of us replied.

Hope I don’t get sanctioned for this but here is an extract from one of the Bishops:

“Great sign. The Commission held three conversations with the “seers”. In 1982, the third meeting brought some results. On the bishop’s request, the Commission asked the “seers” to write down in double copy, what kind of “great sign” shall appear and when it would happen. They were then to put their responses into two envelopes and then seal them. One of the envelopes was to kept by them while the other at the Chancery office. When the “great sign” occurs, then the envelopes would be opened and the truth verified. However, five of the “seers” refused to answer the questions, because the Madonna did not permit them to. Yet the seminarian Ivan did respond in writing to the questions. He even said that the Madonna did not forbid him from responding to the questions. His response was more than inappropriate. A good number of **lies and tricks **are tied to this “great sign” which to this day hasn’t occurred (O. P., pp. 102-108).”

Okay I used the word fraud whereas the Bishop uses lies and tricks. Same thing in essence.
If you want to read the entire paper from the Bishop I can PM you.

[quote="thistle, post:12, topic:183153"]
Hope I don't get sanctioned for this but here is an extract from one of the Bishops

Okay I used the word fraud whereas the Bishop uses lies and tricks. Same thing in essence.
If you want to read the entire paper from the Bishop I can PM you.

[/quote]

Well hang together, then.
The TRUTH has to be proclaimed, no matter what the personal cost.
Yep: i
ve been to the Bishops website. He doesnt mince words!
Let`s hope that his stand is eventually vindicated. his good name restored.

no the authority of a bishop does not override alleged messages from heaven. the authority of the bishop discerns whether or not the alleged messages are from heaven, discerns the authenticity of the alleged visionary or hearer of the message, and is absolute over the activities and pronouncements of such a person in his diocese. If the message turns out to have been deemed of heavenly origin his authority would not “override” it, but he would still have authority to determine how the so-called message was promoted and publicized. If anybody is interested in posting relevant info on topic introduced by OP I’d like to see it, but since it is not forthcoming this seems to be another useless redundant M thread, so I’m outta here

What i meant was that AT THE TIME of the alleged message, the bishops authority overrides it. A key word is "ALLEGED". i know better than to think that if its deemed that Hesven is involved, the bishop would squash it. My remarks were aimed at Medjugorje, more than at anything else. The Church has the final say.

While ever some folks are prepared to promote “M”, some of us must be prepared to do the opposite.

Talk about having to cross every “t”, and…!

There is a end of the question here.
I might know 1,000,000 healers and not one be a catholic, but....ALL believe in and love Jesus the Holy spirit, and our Father in Heaven.
then if they have been given the gift of faith hope love and healing then as Jesus tells us "he who is not against us if for us". there is nothing wrong if a person is blessed with a gift of the Holy Spirit, when the glory goes to God.

Our catholic bible tells us so.
We are not to get hung up or to over emphacise the "catholic" mission tha no other person can be in line with God.
Sure we may be the church started by Jesus, however, ALL who follow Jesus have the right to God's blessings. there are many readings in the bible that prove this.

Godbless
littleone

From the Holy Bible

“Beware of the false prophets, who come to you in sheep’s clothing, but inwardly are ravenous wolves.”- Matthew 7:15

[quote="SunnaB16, post:8, topic:183153"]
PS
The Church is Divinely instituted. The legitimate authority of a bishop overrides alleged messages from Heaven.

[/quote]

Hey, might be the operative word that could deem the point you write though, eh?

To me it would be "Alleged". Since that word relates to "might be" or "not proved" then you could have a point, BUT, there is nothing that can override Heaven ever, but the gift of 'dicernment" comes in there and the Bishop would in prayer use discernment to see if any said wording is or is not from God's Divine word to mankind.

Godbless
littleone

I might have posted this somewhere before but I'm not sure

Oct.9th/2008/Thurs.- My mom, Auntie, Grandfather and I went to see this young girl who claimed to be a healer from the province of Manitoba at a Native American Reserve.

Before I left I thought, I probably won't be impressed. But, I did go with an open-mind and heart.

We met her dad. We sat in a semi-circle, he looked at my mom and asked her, "What can I do for you? How can I help you out?" than he started chit-chatting and most of what he said was basically "false". For an example, he asked my mom, "Will you be staying for the healing later on this evening?" My mom said, "Probably not, I have to get back into town to help my daughter work a bingo" He said, "Oh gambling isn't good that's the devil trying to drag you down." He used his hands as a scale and said, "The healing is up here while the devil is down there and that's where you'll end up is in hell" and My mom said, "No, I'm not playing bingo, I'm working a bingo" But than he kept going on and on about my mom going to hell. He even screamed that my mom will be going to "HELL!"

He also stated that my mom and I were allergic to codeine and my mom said, "No, were not. We are allergic to penicillin" and "He" said, "Awhh, codeine and penicillin are the same thing" and most of our illnesses were self-inflicted and my mom tried to explain to him about my grandpa's deafness and that deafness runs in our family. He said, "Oh no, there's actually no such thing. Deafness is not heriditary it's all self-inflicted"

Which is incorrect because if he did proper research he would've found that deafness can be heridatry.

He opened up his shirt and revealed a tattoo (heart with wings) on his chest and he said, "I have holes in my chest and they go out to my back and that's how I do my healing" Oh-Kay?!? No, he didn't have holes in his chest not that I seen anyways.

Then he started to talk to the people about drugs, alcohol, and how young Natives are commiting crimes, etc. and how as a community they should get together and do something about that. This man was an excellent talker on those subjects I'll give him credit for that.

But when he started to "preach" about how he was chosen to be a "healer" and cutting down Roman Catholicism basically he stated all it is is a money grubbing business it came from white people and Priests are false prophets. He tried to quote the Bible/Creator but he was actually contradicting the Bible/Creator.

This man asked for money and cigarettes. This man seemed to be like a televangelist.

I found it really bizarre this man had Catholic materials with him. He had an Our Lady of Fatima candle, pictures of Jesus, and Holy oil. Oh yes, he wasn't there to judge either and respected all religions and walks of faiths. Huh?

Why would he have Catholic materials when he was mocking the Catholic Religion?

He read from a book called, "Divine Revelations of Hell" by Mary K. Baxter and while he was reading from this book. He lit a cigarette and I thought that was weird and inapproriate of him to do.

I don't really know when but I think later on, he went to a woman's house on the Reserve, looked at a picture and said he was going to die.

You're probaby wondering how did I hear about this little girl and how is she supposed to be a healer? Actually, a family member is the one who told us I think she got a write-up about this little girl who said Jesus spoke to her and showed her something really wicked, a tear of her's fell and it shook the whole house not too sure if that story is accurate or not.

However, when my mom and I talked to her dad he claimed that his daughter went out somewhere, they have this statue of Jesus, this statue of Jesus always looked down, and than that one day the statue's head moved towards the door all day until 9:00 p.m. So, I don't know how this little girl got to be a "healer"--perhaps she is I didn't really get a chance to meet her or talk to her.

If a statue of Jesus, Mary, or/and Saints moved wouldn't you want to capture it on video or camera? What is a little girl doing out that late at night? Wouldn't you go look for your daughter if she took off and didn't know where she was?

My mom told him I was discerning a vocation to the Carmelites as he was shaking my hand I noticed, he let go of it right away, like I gave him an electric shock or something and while he was talking he didn't even look at me or glance at me. Strange, huh?

If this man (or anyone for that matter) asked me for healing I would have told him, "No...God cares more for my soul than physical healing"

It's not that I don't believe in healing or the healing hands of God but I don't think everyone is meant to be healed <--(not too sure if that makes sense I can't get my thoughts down into words accurately). However, St. Bernadette, St. Therese of the Child Jesus, and Blessed Elizabeth of the Trinity and so many more were not healed they most likely gave their suffering as penance for sinners in this world. How honorable for them to do that.

I'm reminded of Doubting Thomas...He doubted, asked questions, and was skeptical until Jesus revealed to Thomas his wounds, he touched, and he believed...Truly he believed.

He made my mom feel really bad and now she doubts "healers" also.

I Pray for people like this.

[quote="goforgoal, post:19, topic:183153"]
I might have posted this somewhere before but I'm not sure
Oct.9th/2008/Thurs.- My mom, Auntie, Grandfather and I went to see this young girl who claimed to be a healer from the province of Manitoba at a Native American Reserve.
Before I left I thought, I probably won't be impressed. But, I did go with an open-mind and heart.We met her dad. We sat in a semi-circle, he looked at my mom and asked her, "What can I do for you? How can I help you out?" than he started chit-chatting and most of what he said was basically "false". For an example, he asked my mom, "Will you be staying for the healing later on this evening?" My mom said, "Probably not, I have to get back into town to help my daughter work a bingo" He said, "Oh gambling isn't good that's the devil trying to drag you down." He used his hands as a scale and said, "The healing is up here while the devil is down there and that's where you'll end up is in hell" and My mom said, "No, I'm not playing bingo, I'm working a bingo" But than he kept going on and on about my mom going to hell. He even screamed that my mom will be going to "HELL!" He also stated that my mom and I were allergic to codeine and my mom said, "No, were not. We are allergic to penicillin" and "He" said, "Awhh, codeine and penicillin are the same thing" and most of our illnesses were self-inflicted and my mom tried to explain to him about my grandpa's deafness and that deafness runs in our family. He said, "Oh no, there's actually no such thing. Deafness is not heriditary it's all self-inflicted" Which is incorrect because if he did proper research he would've found that deafness can be heridatry.He opened up his shirt and revealed a tattoo (heart with wings) on his chest and he said, "I have holes in my chest and they go out to my back and that's how I do my healing" Oh-Kay?!? No, he didn't have holes in his chest not that I seen anyways.Then he started to talk to the people about drugs, alcohol, and how young Natives are commiting crimes, etc. and how as a community they should get together and do something about that. This man was an excellent talker on those subjects I'll give him credit for that. But when he started to "preach" about how he was chosen to be a "healer" and cutting down Roman Catholicism basically he stated all it is is a money grubbing business it came from white people and Priests are false prophets. He tried to quote the Bible/Creator but he was actually contradicting the Bible/Creator.This man asked for money and cigarettes. This man seemed to be like a televangelist.I found it really bizarre this man had Catholic materials with him. He had an Our Lady of Fatima candle, pictures of Jesus, and Holy oil. Oh yes, he wasn't there to judge either and respected all religions and walks of faiths. Huh?Why would he have Catholic materials when he was mocking the Catholic Religion?He read from a book called, "Divine Revelations of Hell" by Mary K. Baxter and while he was reading from this book. He lit a cigarette and I thought that was weird and inapproriate of him to do.I don't really know when but I think later on, he went to a woman's house on the Reserve, looked at a picture and said he was going to die.
You're probaby wondering how did I hear about this little girl and how is she supposed to be a healer? Actually, a family member is the one who told us I think she got a write-up about this little girl who said Jesus spoke to her and showed her something really wicked, a tear of her's fell and it shook the whole house not too sure if that story is accurate or not.
However, when my mom and I talked to her dad he claimed that his daughter went out somewhere, they have this statue of Jesus, this statue of Jesus always looked down, and than that one day the statue's head moved towards the door all day until 9:00 p.m. So, I don't know how this little girl got to be a "healer"--perhaps she is I didn't really get a chance to meet her or talk to her.If a statue of Jesus, Mary, or/and Saints moved wouldn't you want to capture it on video or camera? What is a little girl doing out that late at night? Wouldn't you go look for your daughter if she took off and didn't know where she was?
My mom told him I was discerning a vocation to the Carmelites as he was shaking my hand I noticed, he let go of it right away, like I gave him an electric shock or something and while he was talking he didn't even look at me or glance at me. Strange, huh?
If this man (or anyone for that matter) asked me for healing I would have told him, "No...God cares more for my soul than physical healing"It's not that I don't believe in healing or the healing hands of God but I don't think everyone is meant to be healed <--(not too sure if that makes sense I can't get my thoughts down into words accurately). However, St. Bernadette, St. Therese of the Child Jesus, and Blessed Elizabeth of the Trinity and so many more were not healed they most likely gave their suffering as penance for sinners in this world. How honorable for them to do that.I'm reminded of Doubting Thomas...He doubted, asked questions, and was skeptical until Jesus revealed to Thomas his wounds, he touched, and he believed...Truly he believed.He made my mom feel really bad and now she doubts "healers" also.
I Pray for people like this.

[/quote]

Hi I would say that you would be best to move as far away from this kind of trickery. As you noted, and know that God does give gifts to certain people and the glory goes Expressly to GOD through JESUS and the gift FROM GOD is driven through the HOLY SPIRIT. NO-ONE else. I use the gift of healing, of body of soul, of mind, and of past unresolved situations. They are all used when the Holy Spirit see's the need, and healing comes through 'faith' from God, as Jesus tells us in the bible.
Godbless
littleone.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.