Your vocation is not about you

https://catholicexchange.com/vocation

5 Likes

I totally agree, Cajun. It took me becoming consecrated to Our Lady to truly understand that my vocation isn’t some self fulfilling life path. It’s a total giving of self that serves and loves God and others.

I’m not entirely sure what my consecrated life is going to be like from now on. Although, I’m getting a sense that it will be like being a priest: Serving God and neighbor to the point of martyrdom; literal and figurative.

I hope I have the right sense.

1 Like

I learned that the hard way. WAY back when I was younger I wanted to be a cloistered Carmelite nun. Problem was I was just thinking about what I wanted and not what God wanted. It was all about me and not what I could do for God. I never gave it the proper prayer or discernment like I should have. When God calls we have to answer but we have to answer in the correct way—Unselfishly with a servant’s heart.

4 Likes

Yeah, you’re right. I now look at my fiancé, my kids and my family the way Jesus must have: Love them, support them, sacrifice for them and pray for them.

1 Like

That is an extremely important vocation to see that they as well as yourself get to Heaven.

1 Like

Yeah, this consecration is totally rewriting my understanding of everything.

1 Like

I have been mulling over the blog writer’s choice of the phrase “not about you.” I appreciate his desire for a provocative, attention-getting title. This one certainly fits the bill. It sounds harsh, like an accusation. “Get over yourself. Stop being so self-absorbed.”

However, upon reading the article, and I am pleased to see that the author takes back what he stated in the title, and acknowledges the importance of the individual.

You see, God’s love is personal. He loves you – one person, him, in relationship with one person, you. His love is about you. He has a plan just for you. In this way, your vocation certainly is about you.

In the second half of the article, the author admits this, at least as I read between the lines.

2 Likes

When I started my discernment for the permanent diaconate, I used to worry “if I would make it” and it would stress me out. About a week or two before my scrutiny evaluation I was in the adoration chapel, and then it finally hit me. This isn’t about what I want, but what God wants. I felt like a huge burden had been lifted off my shoulder.

5 Likes

As with many things, vocation requires many things to come together to work out. For example yo u might want to get married or feel God wants you to be a spouse and parent, but in order for this to happen there must be someone who agrees to marry you and vice versa. It is not always a person’s fault if a vocation goes unfulfilled due to setbacks and circumstances.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.