You're danged if you do, danged if you don't!

Hi guys,

I have a problem.

Yesterday I went to my mother’s house and she permed my hair (she did a heck of a good job! :thumbsup: ). While she was putting the rods and rolling my hair, I was telling her about my journey towards Catholicism. I told her how I was drawn toward the Church and how our Lord wanted me to come in, etc. and she told me she was glad I found my “spiritual home” and all that.

This is where the hard part comes in. I know that I respect other people’s religion and yes, they have a right to choose their own religion. However, I’m deeply hurt in a way that all these other non-Catholics do NOT know the Real Truth! I told my mom about that and told her from my own witness from being Protestant to becoming Catholic that non-Catholics don’t have the FULLNESS of the Truth! I wasn’t telling her that to be mean or anything, I was telling her that because I want her to know the Fullness of the Truth! I also told her it’s not that I’m trying to convert her into Catholicism or anything, it’s just that we ALL need the FULLNESS of Truth!

Can you guys see the kind of “bubble” I’m in? I would LOVE to tell people the REAL TRUTH (CC) but on the other hand, I don’t want them to think I’m pushing my religion on them, yet I deeply desire all people to know it because like I said, IT’S THE TRUTH!

My mom said something like that it’s an insult to Protestantism and I told her no because the CC has the fullness of Truth. I asked my dad too earlier when we were leaving the convention center after the EWTN visit to Denver that how much Truth do you want? 100% or half? He said he wants the Truth. I didn’t say anything much because if I did, he would’ve gotten mad at me because I knew I would’ve said, well, it’s in the CC!!! And I’m not going to do that.

My question is, how can I calm myself down when I DESIRE to tell people the Truth? I feel sad for non-Catholics in a way because they are missing out on so much! But I can’t go tell people what to believe because I know I would get killed for that! But if I keep my yap shut, it’s like I don’t care enough to have people know the Truth or like we Catholics are keeping the whole Truth to ourselves. But on the other hand, people are anti-Catholic and would careless.

Does anyone see this struggle I have?

It’s like you’re danged if you do and danged if you don’t!

Lord, help me!

I’ll tell you something my mother told me.

Being holy can be very lonely.
I think that can apply here.

Pray to the Holy Family.

Oh, and some words of Jesus to put things in perspective.
Jesus said to them, “A prophet is not without honor except in his native place and among his own kin and in his own house.” Mark 6:4

I know this feeling very much. When I informed my mother about RCIA last weekend, she cried saying she promised to raise me Methodist and she thinks she failed. She tells me my Pap, who was a good man, would hate this. How rude! I try not force it on her and I personally think I dont. However, when we discuss religion I always argue strongly and never back down from the Catholic position. You can never, EVER back down because if you do, it is showing that you do not have enough guts to stand up for it, making it seem not so important. But it is important so remember to stay the course and fight the good fight.

DU

I have to say that in my opinion, you can’t make people believe, you can only bear witness to the truth and pray.

It’s up to everyone to find their own spiritual path, that’s part of the whole thing in my opinion.

Paris, I feel your “pain.” It is hard to contain our enthusiasm and desire for our fellow man to join us. It is our calling “Go forth and spread the Good News.”

At the same time, we need to do so in a way that copies Christ. Very few times did Christ admonish in the Gospels. Mostly He patiently taught the Truth, showed His unending Love and Mercy, and always pointed people to His Father. I think the lesson in the “pointing to His Father” is that we need to most often talk to our fellow man with words that first shows what unites us. And during the process, this will allow the Holy Spirit to assist them to fully discern the Full Truth. When we focus on what divides us, we put up barriers that make it harder for the Holy Spirit.

I think that as Catholics we can also apply this “method” when we evangelize to fallen away Catholics or those that are disparagingly called “cafeteria Catholics” or otherwise struggling with sin that separates them from full communion. I believe that these Catholics are living under the strain of an imperfectly formed conscience. In addition to the fact that such imperfection is partially the result of actions/teachings from fellow Catholics, as members of the Body of Christ, we need to help them reform their conscience. In such cases, I believe that Christ’s “method” as he did w/ the prostitute and the other sinners he ministered to (Scribes, Pharisees are the primary exception) of approaching the situation with the tender heart of Jesus will be most effective.

Note: When I use the word conscience, I’m using it in the context used in the Catechism and not conventional vernacular.

[quote=FightingFat]I have to say that in my opinion, you can’t make people believe, you can only bear witness to the truth and pray.

It’s up to everyone to find their own spiritual path, that’s part of the whole thing in my opinion.
[/quote]

Yes, but when you ask a non-Catholic or even a Catholic about something and they say, “blah, blah blah, but that’s just MY opinion…” it’s NOT about opinions! It’s about the Truth! When people say their opinion about Catholicism or whatever, that’s like saying that they could careless about the Truth.

For example, if I were to ask a family member or even a friend about the Truth and they replied, “well, I think that all people can believe in whatever they want to but that’s MY opinion…” that tells you right there that they will believe in whatever they want to believe in and not the Truth when they should know it.

I understand your enthusiasm! I really do! My entire family are athiests…and I learned long ago to slowly plant seeds and live an example of Christianity…my life is awesome compared to theirs and if they ever despair about their own lives…I just point out the difference…God. This has led to one sister becoming a Christian and my mother. Notice I did not say Catholic…but for me this is good…heck…it’s GREAT! Two down three to go.

Remember…your mom and dad still are Christian…Honor that. Plant a seed when the dirt is passed. But Honor thy mother and father

[quote=Paris Blues]Yes, but when you ask a non-Catholic or even a Catholic about something and they say, “blah, blah blah, but that’s just MY opinion…” it’s NOT about opinions! It’s about the Truth! When people say their opinion about Catholicism or whatever, that’s like saying that they could careless about the Truth.

For example, if I were to ask a family member or even a friend about the Truth and they replied, “well, I think that all people can believe in whatever they want to but that’s MY opinion…” that tells you right there that they will believe in whatever they want to believe in and not the Truth when they should know it.
[/quote]

As converts I think we have to keep firmly in mind what it took to get us to see the truth and what a long process that was and how painful, before we think others weak or not as insightful or whatever. We have to give them the same consideration God gave us, to let them come to the Faith as God leads and as they can understand and accept it.

After all, zeal is not the only virtue. It has to be tempered with wisdom and patience, a hard thing to learn, but necessary if you truly want to see others come to the Faith and not just have the satisfaction of preaching at them, if you see what I mean. :wink:

As a protestant I can tell you what it feels like when you say ‘Hey, do you want the WHOLE Truth or only Half of it?’ or you say that ‘Protestants are walking around half blind’ (not that anyone here has said that here but I have heard it).

It makes us feel as if you are calling us idiots to our faces.

It’s true. This is why protestants bristle whenever you bring the conversation around to this point. You have to understand the we (protestants) did not come to our conclusion of what we believe haphazardly. Most of us are not looking for a ‘feel good’ religion (as some of you have said we are) but the TRUE faith. And most of us know we have found it. Just like you hate being called blind zombies that can’t think for themselves, we hate being called half blind idiots who wouldn’t know the truth if it hit us in the head.

The only way you are going to be able to bring this across to a protestant is by coming in the back way. Don’t tell them their belief system is WRONG but show them what is RIGHT about yours. Just share your own experiences. If God is pulling them into the catholic faith they will find that there is no way to ignore it. :slight_smile: Just my :twocents:

Yes, and I understand that my parents can be whatever religion they want to be and I told them that and they respect me for choosing mine.

On the other hand, I told my mom that the CC teaches the most beautiful Truths and told her that these Truths are literally from Heaven! Now I once did tell my folks that and they both told me, “well, I’m glad you feel that way!” and I was thinking, why can’t they understand? It seems to me that they are taking it for granted! They wont be unless they have an opened mind and heart to it!

I love my parents a lot and I love them enough to want them to know these beautiful Truths within the CC, but I don’t want to convert them because that’s like saying, “don’t push your religion on us we don’t do it to you!” something like that.

I get frustrated when I get a response like that and think, well, I guess God really doesn’t care about what religion you are than! I then think, NO, God DOES care!

I told my parents why on earth do we have a billion denominations that contradict one another, is that what Jesus intended, etc. and they told me something like that it would be boring if we just had one religion. Need variety.

What don’t they get? :frowning: Or what don’t I get?

[quote=Singinbeauty]As a protestant I can tell you what it feels like when you say ‘Hey, do you want the WHOLE Truth or only Half of it?’ or you say that ‘Protestants are walking around half blind’ (not that anyone here has said that here but I have heard it).

It’s true. This is why protestants bristle whenever you bring the conversation around to this point. You have to understand the we (protestants) did not come to our conclusion of what we believe haphazardly. Most of us are not looking for a ‘feel good’ religion (as some of you have said we are) but the TRUE faith. And most of us know we have found it. Just like you hate being called blind zombies that can’t think for themselves, we hate being called half blind idiots who wouldn’t know the truth if it hit us in the head.

The only way you are going to be able to bring this across to a protestant is by coming in the back way. Don’t tell them their belief system is WRONG but show them what is RIGHT about yours. Just share your own experiences. If God is pulling them into the catholic faith they will find that there is no way to ignore it. :slight_smile: Just my :twocents:
[/quote]

:clapping:

Worth more than two cents…singingbeauty…you really live up to your name

[quote=snowman10]I know this feeling very much. When I informed my mother about RCIA last weekend, she cried saying she promised to raise me Methodist and she thinks she failed. She tells me my Pap, who was a good man, would hate this. How rude! I try not force it on her and I personally think I dont. However, when we discuss religion I always argue strongly and never back down from the Catholic position. You can never, EVER back down because if you do, it is showing that you do not have enough guts to stand up for it, making it seem not so important. But it is important so remember to stay the course and fight the good fight.

DU

[/quote]

Hi All
I know what you mean, my wife went through the same when when she converted, Her Mom said that she promiced to raise her as a Catholic and that she must have failed. My Wife said that there are too many things wrong with the Catholic church.
My Mother-in-law thought that if was just a faze she was going
through, but it’s not. She has grown more in Christ in the last 5 years than 40 years growing up Catholic. We are now working on her Mom Prayer, Love and Patience.
Thanks.

[quote=Singinbeauty]As a protestant I can tell you what it feels like when you say ‘Hey, do you want the WHOLE Truth or only Half of it?’ or you say that ‘Protestants are walking around half blind’ (not that anyone here has said that here but I have heard it).

[/quote]

Did I ever say that Protestants were dumb or stupid idiots? No! That was a question to ponder over when I asked my folks that.

That’s fine too if you want to have TRUE faith and TRUE truthes too but then if Protestants say that THEIR faith and truthes are TRUE and Catholics say theirs is TRUTH, then why the heck do they contradict one another and mean totally different things? You CAN’T find Truth with a billion denominations! That’s what I found out when searching for the Truth.

I have tried that but they still don’t get it! It’s like they’re taking it for granted. So what do you do than?

[quote=Paris Blues]Yes, and I understand that my parents can be whatever religion they want to be and I told them that and they respect me for choosing mine.

On the other hand, I told my mom that the CC teaches the most beautiful Truths and told her that these Truths are literally from Heaven! Now I once did tell my folks that and they both told me, “well, I’m glad you feel that way!” and I was thinking, why can’t they understand? It seems to me that they are taking it for granted! They wont be unless they have an opened mind and heart to it!

I love my parents a lot and I love them enough to want them to know these beautiful Truths within the CC, but I don’t want to convert them because that’s like saying, “don’t push your religion on us we don’t do it to you!” something like that.

I get frustrated when I get a response like that and think, well, I guess God really doesn’t care about what religion you are than! I then think, NO, God DOES care!

I told my parents why on earth do we have a billion denominations that contradict one another, is that what Jesus intended, etc. and they told me something like that it would be boring if we just had one religion. Need variety.

What don’t they get? :frowning: Or what don’t I get?
[/quote]

I think what you are failing to understand, Paris, is that this faith that your parents hold is not just a religion. In fact most protestants I know reject the title of our faith BEING a religion. That’s how personal it is just as yours is it YOU.

Each of our belief systems are our VERY CORE. They define who we are. And if you say that my beliefs are nothing or a lie then you are telling me that I am nothing or a lie.

[quote=Singinbeauty]The only way you are going to be able to bring this across to a protestant is by coming in the back way. Don’t tell them their belief system is WRONG but show them what is RIGHT about yours. Just share your own experiences. If God is pulling them into the catholic faith they will find that there is no way to ignore it. :slight_smile: Just my :twocents:
[/quote]

I couldn’t agree with you more. And once my Catholic interlocutors got that point, they made progress (so much progress that I’m on my way into the Church). I’m more impressed with the fact that someone can argue in favor of their position, rather than arguing against the other position, because it most often starts the dialogue from a position of mutual respect. Much more progress is made this way.

Dan

[quote=Singinbeauty]I think what you are failing to understand, Paris, is that this faith that your parents hold is not just a religion. In fact most protestants I know reject the title of our faith BEING a religion. That’s how personal it is just as yours is it YOU.

Each of our belief systems are our VERY CORE. They define who we are. And if you say that my beliefs are nothing or a lie then you are telling me that I am nothing or a lie.
[/quote]

I’m not saying that Protestantism is a whole lie! I heard and know for a fact (due to myself BEING a Protestant) that Protestants DO have truthes but NOT the FULLNESS like the CC does!

That’s my main point here. I should’ve been more specific.

[quote=NonDenom]Hi All
I know what you mean, my wife went through the same when when she converted, Her Mom said that she promiced to raise her as a Catholic and that she must have failed. My Wife said that there are too many things wrong with the Catholic church.
My Mother-in-law thought that if was just a faze she was going
through, but it’s not. She has grown more in Christ in the last 5 years than 40 years growing up Catholic. We are now working on her Mom Prayer, Love and Patience.
Thanks.
[/quote]

I will be praying for your dear Mother in law…I am beginning to view you as a hit-and-run :smiley:

[quote=Paris Blues]Did I ever say that Protestants were dumb or stupid idiots? No! That was a question to ponder over when I asked my folks that.
[/quote]

I didn’t say that is what you are saying… I said that is what we HEAR.

That’s fine too if you want to have TRUE faith and TRUE truthes too but then if Protestants say that THEIR faith and truthes are TRUE and Catholics say theirs is TRUTH, then why the heck do they contradict one another and mean totally different things? You CAN’T find Truth with a billion denominations! That’s what I found out when searching for the Truth.

The way I see it is there is only ONE Truth that we must hold to. The Truth that Jesus is our Lord and Savior sent to free us from the binds of sin. Within that Protestants and Catholics are all under the same Faith. We all believe this. In regards to the other practices and teachings… We all feel that there is a different way to worship God. Just like there are different styles of music there are different styles of worship. But in the end we are each showing that God is #1 in our lives.

I have tried that but they still don’t get it! It’s like they’re taking it for granted. So what do you do than?

You have to realize that it is not up to you to save the world. Jesus already took care of that. Your job is to live like Christ and spread that news that He is risen! To talk about what you have learned and to plant seeds wherever you go. You plant the seeds God cultivates them. If you pound on the seed to much you choke it and the plant never grows. Sometimes you just have to walk away, knowing you have done all you can, and trust God to take it from there. :slight_smile:

Hi Paris!

My dear friend…try to keep it simple. Remember that your own conversion has been a slow process of discovery and that you did not digest “the fullness of truth” all in one giant gulp. None of us did…

Conversion is the work of the Holy Spirit…ours is to live out our faith and to share it as He guides us and gives us opportunity. Get a copy of Surprised By Truth and give it to your folks to read and then just be prepared for some questions as you bathe them in your prayers.

Patience dear Sister,
Pax tecum

Singinbeauty, did I EVER say I’m going to save the world? No. :wink:

I just wish for people to KNOW the FULLNESS of Truth, of what Jesus INTENDED, the Eucharist (I’m dying to recieve it!), the 7 Sacraments, etc. It’s sooo beautiful and so authentic, it’s no doubt from Heaven!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.