You're putting down Christ if you attack the CC!

I remember the other day or so before going to work I was watching Daily Mass on EWTN and I think it was Fr. Angelus said something like 'don’t put the Catholic church down or deny it…if you do that, you’re putting down Jesus Christ!"

Isn’t that the truth?:rolleyes: I’m glad he made that point!

Amen it truly is the truth!

That is cult thinking. When the church says that it is the truth and that anything else is an attack, not merely on you, but on Christ himself. CULT thinking. When the church says anything that it hasn’t already told you is true is the work of the devil. CULT thinking. When anytime you question, challenge, or speak out that the teachings don’t match your experience, and you are told you are the enemy and under the ruse of the devil. That is simply classic cult mind control.

You are being told that anything that doesn’t 100% agree with the church is the enemy and is attacking you. That is cult mind control. Or are you too far gone to see that?

You have free will…as long as it makes you do exactly what you are told too, if not, you are the enemy…you are the attacker. I’m sorry folks, that is CULT MIND CONTROL.

I don’t know if that is an official teaching of the church, but this priest is doing the church a huge disservice by speaking thusly. He is making the church sound like a cult. He is not supporting the church through this type of speech.

cheddar

[quote=cheddarsox]That is cult thinking. When the church says that it is the truth and that anything else is an attack, not merely on you, but on Christ himself. CULT thinking. When the church says anything that it hasn’t already told you is true is the work of the devil. CULT thinking. When anytime you question, challenge, or speak out that the teachings don’t match your experience, and you are told you are the enemy and under the ruse of the devil. That is simply classic cult mind control.

You are being told that anything that doesn’t 100% agree with the church is the enemy and is attacking you. That is cult mind control. Or are you too far gone to see that?

You have free will…as long as it makes you do exactly what you are told too, if not, you are the enemy…you are the attacker. I’m sorry folks, that is CULT MIND CONTROL.

I don’t know if that is an official teaching of the church, but this priest is doing the church a huge disservice by speaking thusly. He is making the church sound like a cult. He is not supporting the church through this type of speech.

cheddar
[/quote]

Well, Mr. Cheddar,

Then if you think you’re so right that it’s, oh, cult thinking, why don’t you say that to EWTN, because I wasn’t the one who said it…I was only saying what the preist said.

So you’re saying it’s all right to bad mouth Catholicism and Jesus Christ and His teachings, huh? I’m not trying to sound rude or anything.

I see that you’re panthiest…I’ve also read some of your other posts and found somethings you’ve said. So I shouldn’t be too surprised…

It is not incorrect for the priest to say that. The Church is the body of Christ after all.

[quote=cheddarsox]That is cult thinking. When the church says that it is the truth and that anything else is an attack, not merely on you, but on Christ himself. CULT thinking. When the church says anything that it hasn’t already told you is true is the work of the devil. CULT thinking. When anytime you question, challenge, or speak out that the teachings don’t match your experience, and you are told you are the enemy and under the ruse of the devil. That is simply classic cult mind control.

cheddar
[/quote]

You sir or madam are wrong:p When Jesus knocked Saint Paul of his high horse per say:nope: Jesus said why are you persecuting ME?:eek:

[quote=cheddarsox]That is cult thinking.

[/quote]

No, Cheddar, it’s not.:cool:

[quote=Lisa4Catholics]You sir or madam are wrong:p When Jesus knocked Saint Paul of his high horse per say:nope: Jesus said why are you persecuting ME?:eek:
[/quote]

Yes, didn’t Christ say something like “whoever dispises you dispises Me?”

[quote=Paris Blues]Yes, didn’t Christ say something like “whoever dispises you dispises Me?”
[/quote]

Yes indeed He did:bowdown: :bowdown2:

Yes, we all have free will. We all have decided that our lives are much happier when we follow Christ. He gave Peter the keys to heaven and said “whatever you loose on Earth will be loosed in Heaven, and what ever you bind on Earth will be bound in Heaven.”

He also said that the gates of hell shall never prevail over His church. Do you thnik you are smarter than God? I sure don’t. I will listen to Him.

That priest was speaking the truth and therefore was doing a service to the church. Maybe you should spend some time with God, see where He wants you. :thumbsup:

[quote=Paris Blues]Yes, didn’t Christ say something like “whoever dispises you dispises Me?”
[/quote]

“He who hears you hears me, and he who rejects you rejects me, and he who rejects me rejects him who sent me” (Luke 10:16 RSVCE).

Eph 5:23-32 is good as well! :wink:

[quote=Paris Blues]I remember the other day or so before going to work I was watching Daily Mass on EWTN and I think it was Fr. Angelus said something like 'don’t put the Catholic church down or deny it…if you do that, you’re putting down Jesus Christ!"

[/quote]

The problem with that that is, that all criticism of the CC can be deflected, however justified it may be, & however necessary, if one does not want to listen to it.

To deflect all ideas we object to as “anti-Catholic” would be very rash; we may need to hear some of the very things that we would rather not. God is with His Church, certainly - it does not follow that His Church will always like the manner in which He is with her. A father may beat his son for some fault, and do so precisely because he is a good and loving father, who wants the best for his son - that won’t make the beating any less painful for the recipient of it, necessary and deserved as it may be. So with the Church - sometimes, God’s Love for her may take uncomfortable forms, formswhich she may not even recognise - yet it is still Love.

If the Church equates all criticism of her with unjustified criticism, she is implying that she ought to be always treated in a way she will recognise as comfortable: but that, is to fall for a form of “prosperity theology” - & Catholics have no trouble pointing out the flaws in “prosperity theology”. Both the Catholic idea & the other idea make the mistake of forgetting the Cross - Churches & Christians are not in the world to have their egos massaged, but to follow Christ Crucified and to share His reproach and His humiliation, so that they may be made sharers in His Resurrection. If Christ was not spared disgrace - why should we be ?

Christ suffered so that we might suffer too: He suffered as our Head. He suffered for our sins, instead of us - He did not suffer in order to spare us inconvenience. A Church that flees the Cross is a Church that flees from Christ: and that *is *denying Christ, or a way of doing so.

Another problem - Christ is not the CC. The CC is the Body of Christ - which is not quite the same thing: or rather, the mystery of the Church is made present in the CC. ##

[/quote]

There is just one instance in which we are free to use our wills only if we use them as we are told - and that is in doing the Will of God. For, with God, human freedom and human obedience are correlative - we become more to use our wills freely, not less, the more fully we obey God. Christ shows this: He was the Servant of the Lord, totally - and was entirely free.

With men, unfortunately, things are rather different - just as you say: Churches, including the CC, are entirely capable of cultish behaviour, because all are imperfect, and all are liable to corruptions of various kinds. As one would expect :slight_smile: ##

I don’t know if that is an official teaching of the church,

It’s not :slight_smile: - more a common assumption, perhaps.

but this priest is doing the church a huge disservice by speaking thusly. He is making the church sound like a cult. He is not supporting the church through this type of speech.

cheddar

In fairness to the priest: we don’t have the context of his remarks. Yet, anyway.

[quote=Paris Blues]I remember the other day or so before going to work I was watching Daily Mass on EWTN and I think it was Fr. Angelus said something like 'don’t put the Catholic church down or deny it…if you do that, you’re putting down Jesus Christ!"

[/quote]

I agree, (concerning the unjustified criticism and ridicule) and it’s frightening in a way to new Catholics. Some family members and friends are giving us a hard time, and it is troubling me that they may be bringing spirtual harm to themselves through their behavior towards us as new Catholics. It certainly makes a person think…

[/quote]

AMEN to that!

cheddar
[/quote]

First off, what does this response have anything to do with the above quote? Those who attack the Church are attacking Christ. If someone tries to lead others away from Christ by attacking His Church, then they are the enemy.

What’s wrong with conforming one’s mind to the truth? You can’t conform the truth to your mind–it doesn’t work that way. You can think your car is a pepperoni pizza, but it doesn’t make it so. You can think everything is god or that God is simply a matter of personal preference, but that doesn’t make it true. Sorry.

Go back to your New Age mumbo jumbo and tell me when THAT jives with anything anyone experiences in REALITY.

cheddar
[/quote]

Hello-

Could it be that the priest was in a defensive posture?

I have not seen this EWTN show and would be very upset if your interpretation of the priest’s message is correct.

Catholics are quite used to seeing this type of superiority attitude hurled from the other side of the fence.

Nothing would be more disappointing than to have a priest stoop to this same offensive behavior we are often subjected to.

There may be some priests out there with a wild hair, but I’ve never seen one on EWTN.

Even the more “Protestant style” Catholic apologists don’t cross the line of disrespecting others.

[/quote]

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: Too funny! The Roman Catholic church does not hold claim to Christ’s Church! :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Christ’s Church is made up of ALL believers in Him alone!

cheddar
[/quote]

We are to test all things with Scripture! :thumbsup:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.