Youth and the Extraordinary Form

Some of you may have seen this article entitled,"The Rise of Latin Youth" on the Real Clear Religion Website. It counters the myth that the Latin Mass (EF) is populated by old ladies in veils. In reality, the EF is very popular with young people and young families.

realclearreligion.org/articles/2013/01/03/the_rise_of_latin_youth.html

This has also been my own experience in attending the traditional Latin Mass. In fact I have seen several studies that show the group that is most attracted to the traditional Latin Mass is young adult men - the one group that you normally can't drag into a church.

What I’v been saying for a while now. Its not just the Seniors looking for a dose of nostalgia, but the Young folks like me who want more than pop, sex, drugs, rock and roll. We want a piece of transcendent, something more. I love Altar Serving the EF and I find it so, mystical. I also admire the Theology behind it. Truly a Beautiful MASS.

Gee Whiz! My TLM parish in Seattle is full of young folks. I only wish I could find someone my age (56) or older.

I say Amen to Latin Youth!! And all their kids!!

And I thought this thread was about youth in Italy or Latin America. : ;)

Around here I see about the same mix of types at both the EF and the OF. I welcome all efforts to bring more people into the Truth of the Catholic church. Excellent good news to hear that folks are regularly attend Mass and the sacraments! :thumbsup:

:thumbsup::thumbsup::smiley:

Same thing is happening at the Tacoma Mass and in Kelso, Peggy. :smiley:

[quote="Peggy_in_Burien, post:3, topic:312492"]
Gee Whiz! My TLM parish in Seattle is full of young folks. I only wish I could find someone my age (56) or older.

I say Amen to Latin Youth!! And all their kids!!

[/quote]

Yep, that's my Parish too. It's almost like a youth Mass every Sunday. I feel so old....

There is one in Kelso, now? Who is pastor over there? Not our poor Fr. S or Fr. B.:slight_smile:

Yep. The Archbishop moved it from St. Francis Xavier down to Kelso. The priests that were saying the Mass were pretty stretched out averaging 3 Masses a day plus youth groups and hospital visits. (Fr’s S and C) :slight_smile:

We just finished our first Mass at Immaculate Heart of Mary, in Kelso. All is well. :thumbsup:

God Bless

I'm seeing a lot of young (teens) Catholics at TLM and yesterday at the two latin masses held for the March for Life, there were many teens and young adults.

Hey, that’s me!

:thumbsup:

I think it’s great that more young people are attending Mass.

when I went to my first Latin mass in reading i couldn’t believe how full the church was

I think it’s true that the younger people who were never even alive for VII (like myself) are the ones who seem to be highly interested in the EF. It’s what gives me hope that in the future more of these young people will become priests and the EF will become more widespread and easily available.

It’s a shame that these liberals don’t see what’s in front of them. We hear so much about young people falling away from the Church, well… maybe this is part of the answer. A return to tradition.

[quote="10thCrusader, post:1, topic:312492"]
Some of you may have seen this article entitled,"The Rise of Latin Youth" on the Real Clear Religion Website. It counters the myth that the Latin Mass (EF) is populated by old ladies in veils. In reality, the EF is very popular with young people and young families.

realclearreligion.org/articles/2013/01/03/the_rise_of_latin_youth.html

This has also been my own experience in attending the traditional Latin Mass. In fact I have seen several studies that show the group that is most attracted to the traditional Latin Mass is young adult men - the one group that you normally can't drag into a church.

[/quote]

There are a lot of younger people at the Latin Mass I go to,....now if I could find the 40-50 something-yr-old males that aren't married and don't think it's horrible to be friends with me because someone might think badly of him for being friends with me.....any of those exist?

[quote="GangGreen, post:14, topic:312492"]
I think it's true that the younger people who were never even alive for VII (like myself) are the ones who seem to be highly interested in the EF. It's what gives me hope that in the future more of these young people will become priests and the EF will become more widespread and easily available.

[/quote]

I would also hope that the return to tradition manifests itself in the OF and that it will be celebrated as intended, thus decreasing demand for the EF.

[quote="Baelor, post:16, topic:312492"]
I would also hope that the return to tradition manifests itself in the OF and that it will be celebrated as intended, thus decreasing demand for the EF.

[/quote]

While I share your hope for a return to tradition within the OF, I can't agree with you that a decrease in the demand for the EF is somehow a good to be desired. While I don't personally care much for the EF your statement above makes it sound as though you think of the EF as something bad that ought to be eradicated. I assume this is not what you intended to convey, so perhaps you should clarify what you meant before people start jumping all over you as you really do come across as denigrating the EF.

[quote="Baelor, post:16, topic:312492"]

[/quote]

I wouldn't care if OF are celebrated more traditionally, that wouldn't replace the EF for me.

I think it’s rather funny to see the idea of “tradition” associated with the OF. The OF, when it’s properly celebrated is a form that is only about 50 years old and a radical departure from the EF (the previous form). Whereas the EF is almost 500 years old, and was built largely upon previous forms of the Mass. The “tradition” of the OF pales in comparison to the EF. There is a timelessness to the EF.

I believe this is the attraction of the EF to the youth. The OF was created in the 1970’s and seems to be stuck there. The youth of today see the OF as passé, something from a previous generation.

Unfortunately, there are too many of the boomer generation in the parishes, who see the OF as something of there own creation, and add the trappings of that previous generation. The OF appears to the youth more like a fashion than a form. And to them it’s a little out of fashion. The boomers may stay stuck in the 1970’s, and hope the EF goes away, but it’s growing almost everywhere I have seen it.

The young adults and large young families make up the largest percentage of those attending the EF everywhere I have seen it celebrated. Even if it’s hidden away or suppressed in the diocese, so attendance.is small. The largest percentage is still a much younger generation.

How exactly do you mean by “as intended”?

If you take a look at the mass that EWTN does (during the morning), that’s quite a “traditional” OF mass to the point where they include a decent amount of Latin and it’s very reverent. It’s a beautiful mass and I enjoy watching it whenever I do, but it’s still quite different than the EF. If the OF was celebrated everywhere like that I still don’t think that it would decrease the demand for EF.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.