yu-gi-oh cards

I am not sure if there was a thread on this yet or not, but I am wondering if anyone knows anything about the yu-gi-oh cards. I vaguely remember hearing something about the fact that they are not good for children (spiritually). My son came home with some today. I did not buy them for him, but now that he has them I’m curious as to what they are and if I should let him have them (he is 6). I’m not sure if I like some of the names on them. “Dark Enchanter”, “Call from monster” “(Demon) with dark power to tempt your mind, very proud of the power.”

Anyways, I don’t want to over react, because he takes them everywhere he goes right now. Any info?

My son is seven and he brought home some from school, but I never looked at them until now. They do have some “dark titles”. I too will be looking for any information on them. :confused:

Watch the “Yu-Gi-Oh” cartoons on TV, if you haven’t already.The cards are part of the game of “Duel Monsters” depicted in the cartoon series.

…Think of the Pokemon cartoons. Yu-Gi-Oh strikes me as a darker version of that.(Much darker).

Our priest is very concerned with kids and the Yu Gi Oh cards. He also is concerned with the Harry Potter series. He will often tell the children that they shouldn’t introduce the devil into their lives. He hears a lot about the Wicca movement in our local middle school, so when he has his mandatory parents’ meeting during our children’s catechism class, he is always warning us against these dark trends that lead our children astray. Just look at the cards, they are ugly monsters with dark names. Is that a good thing for an innocent 6-year old’s mind or soul. Try to get him to collect saint cards. There are some really interesting strong saints to emulate.

It is a personal choice that you as a parent will have to make for your children, do some research online and believe me there is plenty to read and then go from there.
I let my sons have the cards, watch the cartoons and play the games, and now they hardly care for them anymore, when I made an overly big deal about it when it first came out, then, my kids, were like “oh, what is it about, why can’t we see it, why can’t we have a few of the cards” now, I have cards left all over because kids don’t even care for them anymore, that is just my personal decision and maybe you don’t feel that way, but, that is what worked for me, I kept a close eye on it and they like poke mon much more and even those cards are treated very poorly since they really don’t overly care either.
I think it is a phase, of course, you’ll get a few kids in the world who will over obsess about it but for the most part its a phase.

I know I went through plenty of that, had to have the Cabbage patch kids, care bear, strawberry shortcake etc. and once I had them, rarely ever played with them and then a few years ago these same toys all came back, that was creepy, oh, and my little pony, yikes, it was reliving my childhood all over.

My sons still prefer G.I. Joe, magnetix, air hockey, etc.
they like to build and when not building they like to be active, yu gi oh is pretty lazy and my kids don’t like to just sit and look at cards or card games duel very long.

I bet whoever came up with this junk is a zillionaire :eek:

[quote=dsmommy]I am not sure if there was a thread on this yet or not, but I am wondering if anyone knows anything about the yu-gi-oh cards. I vaguely remember hearing something about the fact that they are not good for children (spiritually). My son came home with some today. I did not buy them for him, but now that he has them I’m curious as to what they are and if I should let him have them (he is 6). I’m not sure if I like some of the names on them. “Dark Enchanter”, “Call from monster” “(Demon) with dark power to tempt your mind, very proud of the power.”

Anyways, I don’t want to over react, because he takes them everywhere he goes right now. Any info?
[/quote]

The Yu-Gi-Oh! manga (graphic novel/comic) was originally intended for a teen audience. Many changes were made to the anime (animation/cartoon show) before it came to the U.S. The trading card game is based more on the anime. I don’t see anything wrong with younger kids watching the show or playing the game, but I think it’s more suited for pre-teens and teens. It’s just harmless fantasy for most children, like Pokemon, Teen Titans, Harry Potter, Digimon, etc. But this kind of decision should be left to the parents. It’s unlikely, but some kids may not decipher well between fantasy and reality. Parents know their children best.

I used to watch the show and play the card game a few years ago BTW (I never liked the manga.) Yu-Gi-Oh! eventually bored me. I was quite surprised when I found out that younger kids were playing the card game because it involves strategy and math skills. The game can become quite complicated. So kids who play the game must be pretty clever, unless if they just think the cards are cool because of the show and don’t really know how to play. :smiley:

Here are some previous discussions on the topic:

http://forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=47619&highlight=yu-gi-oh%21

http://forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=15210&page=1&highlight=yu-gi-oh%21

http://forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=6434&highlight=yu-gi-oh%21

I play it online more so then real life… Though I do have a few cards…

I don’t find anything wrong with it… As said, the US really censored a lot of things… Offending things have been removed and such to tone down the game and show for kids…

Though, I searched for the names and desc. you said and it seems to be Japanese Card Names so they’d be toned down on YGO US Release…

A site that releases YuGiOh News and is rated in the top 10 (I do believe) of YGO Sites is www.xerocreative.com
(If that isn’t allowed someone please remove it)
But it contains Updates of the Anime (US Release) some summaries and has forums (like these) dedicated to YuGiOh Use.
They also have tutortial guides if you wish to learn the game and a free online game.

In my opinion, if you want to make sure you kid doesn’t into deep with anything crazy or such, learn the game with him…
That way he has someone to play so he’ll like it and you know what he’s doing and learning so it’s good for you.
I’ve seen a lot of parents in keep up with their kids in this game for such reasons.

Ugly monsters? How can you find this ugly? :slight_smile:

ygo-card.de/show_zensur.php?htm_gba=38033121

YGO cards can be harmless IF you as a parent make sure your kids have already been exposed to your Catholic values.

I play the game myself. There are local tournaments held—kids have a lot of fun. I’ve had a lot of fun chatting people up at garage sales, looking for cards to add to my deck.

It’s make-believe. Kids will know the difference if their parents raise them right.

yugioh, pokemon, and harry potter are most certanly not evil just because they have “dark themes” dose not meen theer evil honestly I think people should be less parinoid about theese things in the game there is dark monsters but also light monsters and earth, water, fire, and wind but none of those are evil why must you say something you don’t understand is evil pokemon is not evil i meen honestly they don’t even seem evil there not one thing evil in the show of yugioh, pokemon, and harry poter and now to prove harry potter is not evil (although i don’t think the movies are very godd but certanly not bad for you) ok if you ever watch 1 movie harry is fighting aganst the evil and in the end he preveils so why think its eveil none of the show are even remotely related to relegion so thank you and good night

um guys the last post in this thread was in 2005. Im not saying dont discuss the topic but just wanted to point that out.

I saw the word Yu-Gi-Oh and my eyes rolled up in my head. :wink:

I played Yu-Gi-Oh! with my little sister.

It wasn’t a negative influence really.

In fact, playing the card game brought us closer together and she now expresses that she misses playing it.

I’d say the game really helps you hone your math and strategy skills.
But of course it all depends on the kid. So its up to the parents to decide whether a child is negatively influenced by something.

I’ve read Harry Potter, watched Yu-Gi-Oh (never had cards too hard for me to get), Pokemon (again with the card thing), and I consider myself an anime/manga freak. I don’t and never felt myself being pulled into dark forces.

The whole point of HP, YGO, and of course Pokemon (which is much lighter and more comical) is battling the forces of darkness.

I’m sick of hearing about older adults who get scared of things their children are interested in because they are “dark.” There is nothing wrong with Yu-Gi-Oh or Magic: The Gathering or Pokemon or anything like that. They are just games. They do not lure children to Satan, and they don’t turn children into serial killers. People seriously need to realize that kids play video games and card games and watch related shows because they are a diversion and not because the kids are apprentice devil worshipers. My parish priest has read all of the Harry Potter books and likes the first few, but only because they were written before the books were incredibly successful and Rowling could get away with writing mediocre literature.

I can’t understand why people over 40 are so adamant against playing video games. I have relatives who practically stick their fingers in their ears, close their eyes, and shout at the top of their lungs when I show them one, yet they have no problem with spending the last few hours of each day watching television programs.

Indeed, it isn’t harmful if you know and understand reality and fantasy’s separating lines. I myself am a BIG Magic: The Gathering fan. I was “ok” with YGO.

I have decks for each color in MTG, but my White deck specializes in healing with my trumpcard being an ArcAngel. (sp?)

Point being, each game (for the most part, I imagine) isn’t intended for anything more than entertainment and to serve as a sort of story that YOU decide how it goes. ^^

These are stories, and you can’t tell even a remotely interesting story without the battle of good versus evil. Should people stop reading the Bible because Judas Iscariot wasn’t a ‘nice guy?’

There is also nothing wrong with roleplaying as an evil character, as long as you keep your evil deeds limited to IC.

I enjoyed YGO but I didn’t really get into it until I heard it in Japanese. And the Japanese version does have a lot of elements that were cut from the American version. I can see that, if they wanted to attract a younger audience—but some scenes make no sense with the cuts.

How can you threaten someone with a pointing finger? They erased the gun… :stuck_out_tongue:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.