Yu-Gi-Oh! Trading Card Game

Perhaps this is not how you intended your post, but it comes across as basically dismissing everyone else as not knowing what they’re talking about while simultaneously raising yourself up to be the one legitimate expert who is in a unique position to answer the OP’s question with authority.

If you have confidence that your opinion is the correct one, won’t it hold up to a little bit of scrutiny if discussed on the thread in public?

I never played Yu-Gi-Oh! I’m more familiar with Magic: The Gathering. Is there any substantial difference that would make it okay to play one and not the other?

Not how I intended it. Certainly, some more tact could have been used to make this clear; I’m just frustrated by the blanket statements made by people who are too quick to dismiss something without actually knowing anything about the topic. Forget about yugioh and card games for a moment and you’ll see there are people on CAF doing this all over the place.I mention myself not to put myself in charge, but to let the thread starter know I do know what I’m talking about and if he wants more than a typical response, he can come to me for it.

[quote=Joe 5859]If you have confidence that your opinion is the correct one, won’t it hold up to a little bit of scrutiny if discussed on the thread in public?
[/quote]

It’s not an issue of my confidence in myself, it’s an issue of my lack of confidence in the way people generally tend to handle this type of information, from past experiences. It either goes over their head and they don’t believe it, they’re an atheist so are obliged not to believe it, or they’re a gamer and will defend their games to the very end. That’s a rigged, one-sided, uphill argument that is doomed to fail, and it’s a waste of time. Not to mention you end up having to respond to everyone, rather than just the 1 person who asked the original question to begin with.

In this specific situation, you have 1 person asking a question, and I opt to answer that 1 person. By making it public I answer everyone, and make myself available to have to answer everyone and debate them. That will divide my attention and distract me. I’d rather give all my attention and energy to 1 person and get it right than divide my effort up and have the discussion become something it wasn’t meant to be. Like I said, this topic usually only comes up once a year, so you have just that one opportunity to nail it and get it right. Knowing that, I don’t think I can be faulted for wanted this to be prepped.

1 Like
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.