Yucky situation

My DH is a member of a local sports association and it turns out the director of coaching is not only an illegal immigrant but lied about his coaching license and accredition. We have lost some good coaches becuase of him.
OTOH He has two young kids and another on the way......is a good coach and liked by the families he coaches. He has been here a long time and nobody on the board knew any of these things. My DH is sitting on this information for now not sure what to do next. I just hate that it is him who has to clean up other peoples messes, and potentially ruin another person's life. Not to mention that desperate people do desparate things in desperate situations. This could get ugly. sigh I guess I just need some morale support!

Well, I'm sorry if this isn't the support your looking for, but I think your DH needs to look the other way and mind your own buisness. If the coach is an illegal immigrant, calling DHS will do nothing but create problems. It's not a good idea to get involved in this, it's just not.

Personally I wouldn't do a thing besides alert the person that I knew and that they should be more careful with their information. But I don't really care about immigration laws, nor feel a need to attempt to personally be a part of their enforcement. Nor do I care if coach is certified or not if they are doing a good job. Even if I were to report it I can't really be assured that anything since I live an area that is extremely far from the border and local law enforcement seems to feel that it can't be bothered with immigrant issues unless the person in question is causing some sort of problems.

Lots of people are probably going to disagree and/or reprimand me for that though.

[quote="petitfleur, post:1, topic:233447"]
My DH is a member of a local sports association and it turns out the director of coaching is not only an illegal immigrant but lied about his coaching license and accredition. We have lost some good coaches becuase of him.
OTOH He has two young kids and another on the way......is a good coach and liked by the families he coaches. He has been here a long time and nobody on the board knew any of these things. My DH is sitting on this information for now not sure what to do next. I just hate that it is him who has to clean up other peoples messes, and potentially ruin another person's life. Not to mention that desperate people do desparate things in desperate situations. This could get ugly. sigh I guess I just need some morale support!

[/quote]

I don't understand - why have you lost some good coaches because of this coach? Not sure if that is connected with his lying about his license or not...

The illegal issue is one thing, the lying about the coaching license and accreditation is another. I realize they are connected, and maybe nothing can be done about either one, realistically.

How did your husband find this out? Is he sure no one else knows?

These things are never easy, like Rascalking says - it's just not going to go well since our government decided long ago to allow illegal aliens to enter our country with few barriers. Now we have long-term illegals with families, some of whom ARE citizens, and what are we going to do, kick them out???

He wouldnt call an authority or turn him in, but if we got audited the club could be fined thousands of dollars for hiring an illegal weather we knew about it or not! We know this becuase my DH is the head HR guy for his company and has looked into it casually with the company lawyers! He also looked into what it would take for him to become legal. The worst that would be done is to ask him to step down but it still sucks becuase it would be hard for him to find another job without proper papers.

[quote="TheRealJuliane, post:4, topic:233447"]

These things are never easy, like Rascalking says

[/quote]

RealJuliane (as opposed to the fake one)-

Always agree with the Rascalking.

Cheers,

Rascalking

My concern here would be the fact that he is working with young children, and that his background check cannot be verified.

If this person were working in a restaurant, business or other field I don't think I would be as concerned...however this person is dishonest about their past and background and is working closely with children.

Still not sure what I would do if in your shoes however this is the first thing I thought of. Prayers will be said for this situation it is not easy. God bless.

we lost good coaches becuase of his lying......And no you dont need to have papers to make you a good coach. Another well respected coach does not have all those credits and is still liked and respected.....he also is honest about this. one thing is this program cost over a thousand dollars a year and some parents might be angry to know these things.

[quote="petitfleur, post:8, topic:233447"]
we lost good coaches becuase of his lying......And no you dont need to have papers to make you a good coach. Another well respected coach does not have all those credits and is still liked and respected.....he also is honest about this. one thing is this program cost over a thousand dollars a year and some parents might be angry to know these things.

[/quote]

This can only get more complicated and messy. Seriously, just find other things to worry about.

All coaches including rec coaches get a background check for criminal records, that is not an issue.

[quote="petitfleur, post:5, topic:233447"]
He wouldnt call an authority or turn him in, but if we got audited the club could be fined thousands of dollars for hiring an illegal weather we knew about it or not! We know this becuase my DH is the head HR guy for his company and has looked into it casually with the company lawyers! He also looked into what it would take for him to become legal. The worst that would be done is to ask him to step down but it still sucks becuase it would be hard for him to find another job without proper papers.

[/quote]

It isn't entirely clear, is your husband the head of HR for the club or a different unrelated company and just asked about the situation there?

Being the head of HR for the club places unfortunate legal obligations on him which makes the issue more complex.

He works in HR and volunteers his time as a board member for a local sports club.

I do have an HR backround.

1) this man had to fill out an I9. With some sort of documentation. Usually people use their drivers license, and SS card. Or their passport. Or perhaps a green card. It is illegal to tell them which documents they must use. Has to do with profiling and discrimination.

When I was in charge of i9's you had the option to either a) look at the document and sign the i9 document, or b) make copies of the documents, attach them to the i9 and sign the document. this rule may have changed since I've done it. The gov't likes to do things that way.
The person doing this has a degree of responsibility. For every single i9 that is filled out wrong, basically allowing an illegal to work the fee is something like 10k (it's been a while, could have changed). An audit could end in a company owing 10's and thousands of dollars. If I were in HR, I would be firing the person that took the data and cost the company. Personally, I think this is an excellent source of $$ for the govt to capitalize on. But the INS is underfunded itself, and this kind of stuff is just allowed to go on and on.

2) It doesn't sound like the job does NOT require a coaching license. So it's not like the guy falsely got a job over others ACTUALLY qualified. However, lieing on your resume in most companies is grounds for termination. So, if anyone else ever gets fired for lieing and they happen to be privy to this info, the company should expect to be sued and lose for not following their own rules. So basically, if it's in an ee hand book that you could or WILL be fired for lies discovered later, the company ought to follow their own rules. Cause if they pick and choose to follow rules, it shows that rules really aren't important. It causes them problems in other lawsuits.

You say that parents could be upset if they find out about the guys lack of license. Does the company advertise that all their coaches are licensed? And then charge a grand for such creds??? That's called false advertising. I would in fact want my money back as you didn't provide the service promised.

I understand how messed up this is. I feel bad for anyone that is doing what they can to feed their family and such. It doesn't help when they happen to be nice.

However, that person is actually putting many in jeapordy.. the company, and those that are covering for them.. How NICE IS THAT????

[quote="petitfleur, post:10, topic:233447"]
All coaches including rec coaches get a background check for criminal records, that is not an issue.

[/quote]

Well, sorry to say but this man could have a criminal record in another name. Happens all the time, they commit crimes here, run to Mexico, and come back with another name.

You just can't be certain of anything, really. The documents must be falsified if he is illegal - if he had to submit a SS card, then it isn't his.

Somehow, this all has to stop. Yes, we all care about individuals, and it's a shame that things like this have been allowed to continue but where does it end if we all turn out heads the other way?

He could start his own coaching business if he loses his job. It's what happens in construction - companies pay illegals under the table, the illegal workers learn the trade, steal the tools and then start their own business out of a truck, and underbid their former employers.

I'm sorry if I sound uncharitable. I wish we could just send missions to Mexico instead of inviting them into our country to take advantage of our economy. We are losing on the deal, in so many ways.

He is not Mexican....He is European....

Maybe your husband could have a private talk with this man and tell him that he needs to voluntarily resign to "pursue other goals" or to "spend more time with the family," unless he would rather be fired for lying or misrepresenting himself or whatever, in which case the whole situation will become public.

As rascal said earlier...i fail to see how this is any of your business. This is not your hubby's job...its a recreational outlet. Leave the man alone. If your hubby (not you) feels he cannot...the he should resign from any leadership role. But you need to butt out completely...it was a SERIOUS hr breech for hubby to tell you, no matter how he felt.

[quote="petitfleur, post:10, topic:233447"]

[/quote]

But you are saying that he isn't who he has said he is. So no one really knows if this isn't an issue. If he is using a fake SS number, the background check wasn't worth the paper it was printed on.

Freedom is being able to do what you should do, not “doing what you want to”. You know in your heart what you should do-find that answer and do it. All I will say is that there are a lot of people who are not who they say they are, and I think they call them imposters. I would not want them in a role model position.

Seashore the problem is he is a paid director of coaching. The non for profit club could be fined thousands of dollars for hiring an illegal weather it was know or not. In the end we can only bring it to the board and let them decide what to do. Most people dont seem to think its a big deal so perhaps things will go on as they are which is fine al long as they know the risk they are taking. On the website on his page he clearly lists several different certificates that is seems he does not really have....people that pay $1500. A year for thier kid to play might be upset......I dont care if a coach has certain certificates or not but I would prefer they be honest about it.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.