Zarqawi Threatens Vatican

OK, all of you who somehow think this is not a religious war, now what?

BAGHDAD, Iraq (AHN) – Key al-Qaida figure in Iraq, Abu Musab al-Zarqawi, is planning to attack the White House and the Vatican, according to an audio-tape posted on the Internet on Saturday.

This is the first time an al-Qaida leader has explicitly talked of attacking the headquarters of the Roman Catholic Church.

Earlier on Friday, in a similar audiotape, Zarqawi himself warned more attacks against US forces in Iraq.

He also urged followers to be cautious of any US attempt at initiate dialogue. According to reports, Zarqawi also launched verbal assault at Shia Muslims by calling them “rotten.”

The Shia Muslims are considered unorthodox by the Sunni al-Qaida. He didn’t spare Iraqi Sunni Muslim clerics for failing to support the insurgency.

The voice on the tape has been established as that of Abu Musab al-Zarqawi’s.

“After conducting a technical analysis, we assess with high confidence that the voice is that of Abu Musab al- Zarqawi,” An anonymous US intelligence official told the news agency.

Zarqawi’s recorded voice on the tape directly addressed US president George W. Bush.” You, Bush, we will not rest until we avenge our dignity,” the voice said. “We will not rest while your army is here as long as there is a pulse in our vein.”

allheadlinenews.com/articles/2229902308

Never doubted it. The Islamofascists want the map of Europe to look as it did in the times of the Islamic kingdom of Al Andalus, and to undo the effects of the battles of tiurs and Lepanto. They were stopped on the way to Vienna, and want a do-over on that as well. Attacking the heart of Christendom would be a nice start for them.

I don’t believe most Muslims are extremists who seek to conquer the world through violence, BTW. It would be nice if we heard from them more often.

[quote=gilliam]OK, all of you who somehow think this is not a religious war, now what?

[/quote]

I doubt anyone thinks of al Qaeda as a secular organisation. Unlike the Iraqi Baath Party. It was the invasion of Iraq that turned it into a playground for religious extremists. Saddam tended to murder them since they were inclined to murder him.

The war on terror did not lead to the invasion of Iraq. The invasion of Iraq has strengthened terrorism not weakened it.

Qui Bono?

left.[/left]
left.[/left]
left.[/left]
:eek:

left.[/left]

[quote=Matt25]I doubt anyone thinks of al Qaeda as a secular organisation. Unlike the Iraqi Baath Party. It was the invasion of Iraq that turned it into a playground for religious extremists. Saddam tended to murder them since they were inclined to murder him.

The war on terror did not lead to the invasion of Iraq. The invasion of Iraq has strengthened terrorism not weakened it.
[/quote]

If you remember your recent history, al-Zarqawi was in Iraq being protected by Saddam (he fled Afghanistan). While being protected by Saddam, al-Zarqawi was growing his terrorist organization, grew a number of permanent camps, and was becoming stronger. He would have lashed out at the Vatican and the US anyway, given time.

Today, he is running and hiding, and almost being caught. To say we are strenghtening al-Zarqawi is to ignore what was going on before.

So does anyone else see this as an idle threat with only little possibility of happening? Also, how would the Vatican defend itself, because I know the Swiss Guard could not handle it themselves.

DU

I think we need another crusade!
We are the Church, it will be us who would have to defend!
Start putting on your armours guyz:thumbsup:
Protect the holy father first…

They got their butts kicked the first time around. Looks like they want another whoopin…send in the Knights Templar!!!

[quote=snowman10]So does anyone else see this as an idle threat with only little possibility of happening?

[/quote]

No. The mistake of the West has been to underestimate al-Qaeda. They try to do what they tell us they will do.

Also, how would the Vatican defend itself, because I know the Swiss Guard could not handle it themselves.

DU

There is really no defense against a terrorist act short of eliminating the threat.

Is the Vatican protected by Italy at all?

Would the USA and other countries aid the Vatican?

Would it mean the Gates of Hell have prevailed?

Lets pray that nothing happens to the Vatican or anywhere else by these fundamentally flawed folks.

DU

[quote=snowman10]Is the Vatican protected by Italy at all?

[/quote]

The Vatican is an independent city state and is defended by the Swiss guard. There may be treaties that the Vatican has entered in to that could be invoked. Those that would seek to attack the Vatican must travel through Italy so it would be considered an attack upon Italy.

I just worry about the Church and want it to remain standing…And I will go and defend it if I have to.

DU

[quote=Peter_Atlanta]They got their butts kicked the first time around. Looks like they want another whoopin…send in the Knights Templar!!!
[/quote]

That is sick.

[quote=gilliam]No. The mistake of the West has been to underestimate al-Qaeda. They try to do what they tell us they will do.

There is really no defense against a terrorist act short of eliminating the threat.
[/quote]

lol

I wonder if they will wait till the next Pope. I mean that would at least wrap things up tidily what with this St Malarchy prophesy we’ve been hearing about.

Perhaps the best thing then would be to move the Holy See to the safety of Jerusalem, build a nice temple there, what with Europe being full of Muslims and all.

Gosh, they’re not doing very well are they, this al-Qaeda. You’ld have thought they would change tactics. Their only success seems to be that Bin-Laden has evaded capture.

Perhaps he’s got his feet up in Tel Aviv, sipping cocktails. It’s the last place anyone would think of looking.:slight_smile:

Are there any so gullible, other than those running our government, who didn’t think this had worldwide implications? Who didn’t get that it would be naturally seen as a religious war?

Not only was it there plain for everyone to seen, we actually had citizens of this country calling for the “Christianization” of Iraq. Mental midgets were on standby to go to Iraq to preach their version of the Gospel.

You bet it’s a religious war.

If the Muslims take over Rome and the Vatican, how will the Fundamentalists claim that the Church is the Whore of Babylon and that it sits on one of the hills since it wouldn’t be there anymore?

It would be the end of Anti-Catholicism as we know it…:eek:

Run for the hills!!!

Seriously though, pray for the Church and the Vatican, and that these extremists will change their ways.

DU

[quote=gilliam]There is really no defense against a terrorist act short of eliminating the threat.
[/quote]

Pope John Paul in his message for this years world day of Peace suggested an alternative way
vatican.va/holy_father/john_paul_ii/messages/peace/documents/hf_jp-ii_mes_20041216_xxxviii-world-day-for-peace_en.html

[size=3] For the theme of this 2005 World Day of Peace I have chosen Saint Paul’s words in the Letter to the Romans:* “Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good” /size. Evil is never defeated by evil; once that road is taken, rather than defeating evil, one will instead be defeated by evil*. [left][size=3]The great Apostle brings out a fundamental truth: peace is the outcome of a long and demanding battle which is only won when evil is defeated by good. If we consider the tragic scenario of violent fratricidal conflicts in different parts of the world, and the untold sufferings and injustices to which they have given rise, the only truly constructive choice is, as Saint Paul proposes, to* flee what is evil and hold fast to what is good*[/size] (cf.* Rom* 12:9).
[/left]
[left][size=3]Peace is a good to be promoted with good:[/size] it is a good for individuals, for families, for nations and for all humanity; yet it is one which needs to be maintained and fostered by decisions and actions inspired by good. We can appreciate the profound truth of another saying of Saint Paul: *“Repay no one evil for evil” *(Rom 12:17). The one way out of the vicious circle of requiting evil for evil is to accept the Apostle’s words: “Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good” (*Rom *12:21)…

[/left]
[left][size=3]At its deepest level, evil is a tragic rejection of the demands of love/size. Moral good, on the other hand, is born of love, shows itself as love and is directed towards love. All this is particularly evident to Christians, who know that their membership in the one mystical Body of Christ sets them in a particular relationship not only with the Lord but also with their brothers and sisters. The inner logic of Christian love, which in the Gospel is the living source of moral goodness, leads even to the love of one’s enemies:* “If your enemy is hungry, feed him; if he is thirsty, give him something to drink”* (Rom 12:20).
[/left]

Of course John Paul thought like a Christian. We should try to do the same.

Again, I said eliminating the threat. That is what he said as well. I didn’t say how.

I posted this on the other thread~

They are some sick ppl. Who needs the anti-Christ when ‘those ppl’ are ruled by the devil himself! Im sorry if anyone finds my words offensive but I had 3 relatives in TWC on 9/11. One is fine, one was blinded when the second plane hit right over his head and the other never made it out at all. I’ll never understand this so called ‘peaceful’ religion.:ehh:

[quote=maric]I posted this on the other thread~

They are some sick ppl. Who needs the anti-Christ when ‘those ppl’ are ruled by the devil himself! Im sorry if anyone finds my words offensive but I had 3 relatives in TWC on 9/11. One is fine, one was blinded when the second plane hit right over his head and the other never made it out at all. I’ll never understand this so called ‘peaceful’ religion.
[/quote]

I sympathize with those who would like to somehow negotiate with people who really believe what Islam teaches. Unfortuately, I cannot point to a time in history when Islam didn’t want to overtake their neighboring Christians for one reason or another. Now that the world is globalizing, they are a threat to all of us. If you don’t believe it, wait a few years and sooner or later your country will be attacked as well.

There is a fundamental error in thinking that because Islam worships the God of Abraham that it is a peaceful religion.

“I studied the Quran a great deal. I came away from that study with the conviction that by and large there have been few religions in the world as deadly to men as that of Muhammad. So far as I can see, it is the principal cause of the decadence so visible today in the Muslim world and, though less absurd than the polytheism of old, its social and political tendencies are in my opinion more to be feared, and I therefore regard it as a form of decadence rather than a form of progress in relation to paganism itself.” --Alexis de Tocqueville

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.