Zechariah 14?

**Behold, the day of the Lord cometh, and thy spoil shall be divided in the midst of thee.

2 For I will gather all nations against Jerusalem to battle; and the city shall be taken, and the houses rifled, and the women ravished; and half of the city shall go forth into captivity, and the residue of the people shall not be cut off from the city.

3 Then shall the Lord go forth, and fight against those nations, as when he fought in the day of battle.**

I was reading thru 14 today and was wondering what day and battle they are referring to, the one the Lord fought previously? I assume this would be the battle in heaven…right?

I found all of 14 to be fascinating though, apparently it will be a ‘unique’ type of day, it says light will only come at evening? I was also surprised why all the nations that fought the Lord, their treasures will be gathered up…for what purpose?

Haydock’s commentary posits that it refers to the sack of Jerusalem by the Romans, and then God’s subsequent punishment of the Roman Empire.

I personally think it could more broadly refer to the persecution of the Church, followed by the subsequent punishment of the unrepentant persecutors.

I don’t think these two views are incompatible, since sometimes Biblical prophecies are referring to multiple things at once.

Sorry, failed to answer your specific question. I think the previous “day of battle” is the battle referred to in verse two (be it the Romans sacking Jerusalem, the persecution of the Church, or something else), which was allowed by God. Following this, God will “fight against those nations (Romans, persecutors, etc.), as when he fought (ie allowed the the sack, allowed the persecution, etc.) in the day of (the aforementioned) battle.” God fighting “against those nations” could refer to the fall of Rome, to Hell for the unrepentant persecutor, or to something else.

There seems to be a progression through Zechariah.

Zechariah 9:9
Zechariah 11:12-13
Zechariah 12:10
Zechariah 13:7

Zechariah 14 seems to conclude this progression with standing on the Mount of Olives (the Ascension), Living Waters flow from Jerusalem (Pentecost), constant Light, Kingdom of God taking over.

Thats what I thought too, even if its talking about multiple events, past times and/or something in the second coming, it does make sense.

I have always believed when God ‘touches down’ on Mt of Olives, I imagine all the current nations will be frightened and worried what will happen to their control/ authority, If Im not mistaken there is another verse about worldly nations trying to make war with Jesus when he returns?

If the AC is running things when this happens, Jesus returning will definitely throw a wrench into their authority, so they would probably try to fight back in some way, even if its pointless…what else could they do?

closed #6

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.