Zika Virus ‘Spreading Explosively’ in Americas, W.H.O. Says

Officials from the World Health Organization said on Thursday that the Zika virus is “spreading explosively” in the Americas and announced that they would convene an emergency meeting on Monday to decide whether to declare a public health emergency.

“The level of alarm is extremely high,” said Margaret Chan, the director general of the W.H.O., in a speech in Geneva.

nytimes.com/2016/01/29/health/zika-virus-spreading-explosively-in-americas-who-says.html?smid=tw-bna&_r=0

I hope it doesn’t spread up here as rapidly.

It sounds like this could be a real problem and I know, we thought of that about ebola too.

The thing is though, it is hurting the poor babies born to mother’s with it, it breaks your heart, their heads are smaller.

rferl.org/content/zika-virus-explosive-spread-global-alarm/27517305.html

The Zika virus was discovered in a monkey in Uganda in 1947, and the first human case was registered in Nigeria in 1954. Borne by mosquitoes, it has circulated in Africa and Asia for decades, and more recently in the Pacific region, never causing much concern.

I have seen maps, actually this virus hit South America apparently by crossing the Pacific ocean or was it the Atlantic? But there are lots of graphics on it.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.