Zodiac signs in astronomy?

I’m wondering if anyone has information on how zodiac signs are used in astronomy?

and how it differs from astrology.

based on my understanding, the church does not have a problem with astronomical use. but I could be wrong

The twelve astrological signs are all constellations of stars in the sky: Aries, Taurus, Gemini, Cancer, Leo, Virgo, Libra, Scorpio, Sagittarius, Capricorn, Aquarius and Pisces.

The astrological theories hold that our lives are somehow influenced by what constellation the sun or moon was in at the time of our birth.

The Church condemns astrology. The Catechism:

2116 All forms of divination are to be rejected: recourse to Satan or demons, conjuring up the dead or other practices falsely supposed to “unveil” the future.48 Consulting horoscopes, astrology, palm reading, interpretation of omens and lots, the phenomena of clairvoyance, and recourse to mediums all conceal a desire for power over time, history, and, in the last analysis, other human beings, as well as a wish to conciliate hidden powers. They contradict the honor, respect, and loving fear that we owe to God alone.

On the other hand, the Church has great respect for the science of astronomy. The Vatican Observatory is a major part of the Vatican budget.

In astronomy, the stars of the various signs form the symbol they represent, that’s all. For example, the stars in “Libra” seem to form scales; the stars in Pisces seem to form a fish. I don’t see it, but I’m not an astronomer, so I’ll take their word for it. :wink:

There are thirteen ecliptic zodiacal constellations. The Sun leaves the constellation Scorpius to enter constellation Ophiuchus (Serpentarius) before proceeding to Sagittarius.

1 Aries = April 19 – May 13
2 Taurus = May 14 – June 19
3 Gemini = June 20 – July 20
4 Cancer = July 21 – Aug 9
5 Leo = August 10 – September 15
6 Virgo = September 16 – October 30
7 Libra = October 31 – November 22
8 Scorpio = November 23 – November 29
9 Serpentarius = November 30 – December 17
10 Sagittarius = December 18 – January 18
11 Capricorn = January 19 – February 15
12 Aquarius = February 16 – March 11
13 Pisces = March 12 – April 18

Yeah, I assume “The Big Dipper” is supposed to look like a fellow with a tin of Skoal, but I don’t see that either. :shrug:

In astronomy, the constellations (all of them, not just the zodiacal ones) are used as a sort of map of the sky as seen from Earth. When you see the name of a star like Alpha Centauri, the name tells you which constellation it’s found in and how bright it is relative to all the other stars in that constellation. Alpha Centauri is the brightest star in the constellation Centaurus.

The constellations that form the zodiac are the ones the sun appears to move through over the course of a year.

Astrology is wrong because it is a form of divination and asserts (wrongly) that the positions of celestial objects exert control over human destiny. Simply using the names for star patterns that are also significant in astrology is not wrong if you are not doing so for such purposes. There is nothing more sinister about the name Sagittarius than the name Cassiopeia or any other constellation.

I think it’s remarkable that the sky appears as stable and unchanging as it does, so that star patterns can be recognized that were spoken about even thousands of years ago.

But, I think that our collective historical experience is limited in this respect.

While a research psychologist I worked with a woman who worked on a large study on predicting personality. They found nothing. Just for the heck of it, one of the researchers figured out the respondent’s birth signs, and behold, they were statistically significant! Certainly not large effects, but an eye opener that surprised the researchers.

To me it makes more sense than calling it Ursus major. There ain’t a bear there…

what about which zodiac sign corresponds to which month? is that considered astrology? for example, I am born in October, I would be considered under libra, obviously not that it really means anything. if I’m getting it properly, it means the sun is moving through that constellation at that point of the year?

Most of the stuff that comes out of astrology is nonsense, but there is evidence that environmental conditions influence prenatal development. Of instance, depression in a mother will have personality effects on the child. During the winter months people are more likely to experience depression because of the long dark cold nights, so a baby developing during the winter months and born in the spring or summer will have personality differences than those who developed during other seasons. Another study found that the foods a woman eats during pregnancy influences the child’s personality. In the past foods were seasonal, so women ate different foods at different times of the year influencing developing babies in different ways. Our personality traits have less to do with when we were born and more to do with when we developed.

I never heard of this before, but I’ve been away from psychology for some time. The most powerful predictors according to psychologists are genetics and early environmental experiences, such as parenting styles. I personally never heard of prenatal factors contributing to much unless the mother was a drug user or the like. Postnatal factors, like severe depression in the mother, certainly; but mild prenatal depression, I’m not too sure about. Do you know how your factors affect personality? For example, does it cause personality traits like aggression versus passivity or introversion versus extroversion?

I dont know what to make of it, but from what Ive seen personally, the ‘descriptions’ of each person zodiac sign is pretty darn accurate! I am a Virgo and its description fits me perfectly, Not only myself, Ive seen other peoples ‘signs’ describe them too, usually they are not wrong imo.

Im NOT referring to the daily readings though, those are too vague and general to determine if they are accurate or not.

I don’t remember which articles I read. You could probably Google it. There are definitely a lot of factors that shape a person’s personality. I know children without siblings can grow up to be very different than those with siblings. I know Scorpios are nice people until you make them mad; if they had real stringers you’d be dead. That might be a result of mothers getting irritated during the hot summer months.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.