Zombie dogs????

Boffins create zombie dogs

By Nick Buchan of NEWS.com.au
June 27, 2005

http://network.news.com.au/image/0,10114,5021178,00.jpg Eerie … boffins have brought dead dogs back to life, in the name of science.

SCIENTISTS have created eerie zombie dogs, reanimating the canines after several hours of clinical death in attempts to develop suspended animation for humans.

US scientists have succeeded in reviving the dogs after three hours of clinical death, paving the way for trials on humans within years.

Pittsburgh’s Safar Centre for Resuscitation Research has developed a technique in which subject’s veins are drained of blood and filled with an ice-cold salt solution.

The animals are considered scientifically dead, as they stop breathing and have no heartbeat or brain activity.

But three hours later, their blood is replaced and the zombie dogs are brought back to life with an electric shock.

Plans to test the technique on humans should be realised within a year, according to the Safar Centre.

However rather than sending people to sleep for years, then bringing them back to life to benefit from medical advances, the boffins would be happy to keep people in this state for just a few hours, But even a this should be enough to save lives such as battlefield casualties and victims of stabbings or gunshot wounds, who have suffered huge blood loss…

Well, the dog in the picture surely doesn’t look to happy, does he?

[quote=deb1]Well, the dog in the picture surely doesn’t look to happy, does he?
[/quote]

No indeed he doesn’t,I think even he knows theytake it to far:eek:

If this is what they are trying to achieve

http://network.news.com.au/image/0,10114,5021178,00.jpg

I think they need to have their heads examined. (And their funding cut).:bigyikes:

My son screamed and jumped when he saw that picture!

http://network.news.com.au/image/0,10114,5021178,00.jpg

:slight_smile: :smiley: :wink:

Be great for Gitmo. Bring some Al Qaeda in to a room and let them watch it being done. Then take everyone out but one…three hours later, pump him full of thorazine and let him wander outside the cells.

Or vice versa :smiley:

news.com.au/story/0,10117,15739502-13762,00.html

I don’t know what the criteria for normal is but according to the report on Drudge the dogs are normal and suffere no brain damage.

:ehh: If that picture is any indication of that dog’s normal state then perhaps they should have left him dead. Does this remind anybody else of the movie pet cemetery?

Thats soooooooo weird.

That picture has been used several times for other stories, rabies, wild dog packs and wolf attacks and is not related to the study. It’s just another example of “scare tactics”. Right now, if one goes into, let’s say, a heart bypass operation. Your heart stops beating, and you stop breathing on your own. The ONLY difference between what is being done in this experiment and what happens in an operation today, is the use of artifical machines. They are finding a way to be able to operate without having to use the machines. To me this is great news as it will bring the cost of many surgeries down, it will save the lives of soldiers and victims of violent crime.

For those that are worried that they will be soulless when they are “brought back”, I have confidence in God in that if it is that persons time to go, then the medical people will not be able to bring them back.

[quote=gelsbern]That picture has been used several times for other stories, rabies, wild dog packs and wolf attacks and is not related to the study. It’s just another example of “scare tactics”. .

[/quote]

This is good news. That dog looked demon possessed.:bigyikes:

Doesn’t look any different than any other rabid dog. And if that is a stock photo, for all we know the dogs they actually brought ‘back to life’ were cute beagle puppies.:slight_smile:

[quote=deb1]This is good news. That dog looked demon possessed.:bigyikes:
[/quote]

Agreed:eek: The dog looked like he would fit in well in a Marilyn Manson video:eek: :eek: :eek:

What does this do to the definition of time of death for organ transplants? Brain dead and non-beating heart seem a long way short of death here.

This is very troubling actually, I am not sure how I feel about all of this. In certain cases I can see where it would be a blessing, however, we know how other things have turned out (not always good). I keep thinking that this isn’t good overall. However, as an earlier poster said, when it is their time, God will take them no matter what. Isn’t this like trying to play God or is this something that good will come of? I need more details, this is something definately that needs to be watched. Sounds like mad science to me. smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/262.gif

Well, “Zombie” is misleading in this article.

What they really did was cryogenically freeze the dogs, and then bring them back.

Whereas that may or may not be troubling, this isn’t anything new. It is simply a new method of what scientists have been studying for a decade now.

Josh

[quote=gelsbern]… The ONLY difference between what is being done in this experiment and what happens in an operation today, is the use of artifical machines. They are finding a way to be able to operate without having to use the machines. To me this is great news as it will bring the cost of many surgeries down, it will save the lives of soldiers and victims of violent crime.

For those that are worried that they will be soulless when they are “brought back”, I have confidence in God in that if it is that persons time to go, then the medical people will not be able to bring them back.
[/quote]

Well, that and the story indicating that brain activity stops as well.
I doubt brain activity stops during a heart operation. But I am no doctor, I could be mistaken.

Z

[quote=vz71]Well, that and the story indicating that brain activity stops as well.
I doubt brain activity stops during a heart operation. But I am no doctor, I could be mistaken.

Z
[/quote]

Brain activity does not stop during heart surgery. Brain cells do, however, die while the heart is stopped…(I am:whacky: living proof). The heart is stopped, but the brain is working.

Explore Virginia Stefano

This is a stuffed Coydog that missed out on the experiment by just 2 weeks.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.