Zoroastrianism influence on Abrahamic religions?

I blame Zoroastrianism for all those angels and demons.

I’d have thought Cyrus (an anointed one, ie Messiah) a likely candidate from a Zoroastrian point of view.

Any of them! All of them! The OP seemed to suggest that the idea of the Messiah in the Jewish scriptures was derived from Zoroastrian teaching.

The concept of ‘Messiah’ (anointed one) isn’t precise, in its general sense, it involved anybody ‘anointed’.

There is a difference between “an anointed one” and “The Anointed
One” :slight_smile:

Even all of my Jewish friends believe there will be a “The Anointed One“ :slight_smile:

Except in Hebrew it wouldn’t be “The Anointed One,” it’d be “THE ANOINTED ONE.” Given the lack of lower case letters.

All of them? You’re absolutely sure of that?

This is what I’m hoping the OP will explain.

@jeanluc, in your post #27 you seem to be suggesting that, according to your unnamed textbook, the Jewish concept of the Messiah is in some way derived from Zoroastrian teachings. What, exactly, does your book say about this?

Please give the title and author of the book, and a page reference.

Here’s the old Jewish Encyclopedia on Zoroastrianism (and its version of ‘Messiah’).

1 Like

That seems a bit pedantic. I clearly did not mean grammar, I mean concept. :slight_smile:

Like when someone someone says, “the difference between tradition and Tradition.”

It did need a :wink: at the end, admittedly. On the other hand, one has to be rather careful when equating ‘concepts’ then and ‘concepts’ now.

Sorry, for the late response. The textbook says that the Judaism, Christianity, and Islam are “ultimately derived from Zoroastrianism”. The textbook says that Zoroastrianism influenced the monotheism of Abrahamic Religions. However, when I was looking up a response to this, I found a website claiming that Zoroastrianism taught the Last Judgement, and Heaven and Hell before christianity and that it is the reason why it is one of the core concepts in Christianity. Here is the website: https://www.zarathushtra.com/z/article/influenc.html I do not wish to give the specifics on the textbook due to privacy reasons.

The link doesn’t open.

Edited to not confuse links

That looks like a totally reliable and unbiased website :ok_hand:!

2 Likes

This may be useful:
http://www.tektonics.org/copycat/zoroaster.php

From independent sources, I wouldn’t go as far as to say that Zoroastrians were there before Judaism neither that they were precursor of Judaism. In reality, it was probably other way around.

As we’ve discussed on other thread, it is true that Zoroastrianism might have had some influence on Judaism… but it was probably influence in a sense that Jews were able to equate some of their already-existing concepts with Zoroastrianism and therefore it was sort of revival for some practices.

It’s quite likely that Zoroaster did not even exist in the first place. He could have been a myth. We don’t even know when did he live. Have you heard about St. Barlaam and Josaphat? They were supposed to be Christian Saints from India. It was later found out that they are just Christianized legends of Buddha. Perhaps Zoroaster is “Zoroastrianized” legend of some Jewish Prophet…

I just want to add;

Zoroaster, Confucius, Buddha, Hermes Trimegistos… all of those figures are often used for idea of “Hermeneutics”. It’s basically idea that True God sent many messengers to Earth who were Prophets and they all preached about truth but in the end myths have always twisted those prophecies and therefore every (or almost every) religion is true but no religion is completely true. There exists a forgotten ancient Religion that is true and that we must seek by uniting all Prophetic figures of each Religion.

This kind of blows the point of True God sending many messengers to Earth because why would True God make them all fail? It’s nonsensical and it existed from Reformation. You can meet with it today in many forms ranging from “all Christian religions are correct” to “all religions are correct”.

When it comes to Confucius I like his quote “I am not the way”. He was a wise man who lived before Christ, sought God and while he was somehow influenced by local and untrue myths, he wanted to create philosophy of good will to help his people. He recognized he isn’t half actually the way.

Buddha on the other hand, said “seek the truth”. He had his own idea of truth but he was well aware that he might be wrong. Therefore he made sure his disciples knew that seeking truth always comes first.

Those men fell short of Christ but considering they tried their best and they lived before Christ, it isn’t that surprising. When Christ came, He did not only present Himself as “Way” which Confucius was not and “Truth” which Buddha wanted to seek… He also presented Himself as “Life” which we all yearn for.

In the end, many people came somewhat closer than others to reaching Truth but before Christ, they were always somewhat off (except Prophets of actual Judaism ofc). Christ made sure that there is no more room for partial truths though.

Israelites weren’t a nation until after the Exodus.

Before, the true religion was practiced by Patriarcs according to the Covenants the most important ones made with God: Noah, Abraham and Jacob. This is known as the Age of the Patriarcs.

Some notable ones, that is, just men who were faithful to the Covenants God made with their fathers were Shem, Heber, Job, Isaac and Joseph of Egypt.

Thank you for the response! I have never heard of those saints, so since they are myths, does that mean the church was wrong in its teaching that they were saints?

They aren’t actual canonized Saints. They are simply legend ascribed to be locally recognised Saints… anyhow, even Roman canonisation is not technically infallible, just binding.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.