Zoroastrianism influence on Abrahamic religions?

You are right. I am asking a lot of repeat questions today haha. This is my final (hopefully) question, since other religions have some truth in them by coincidence, are they divinely inspired or are they a lucky guess?

Does tbis answer your question?

[843] The Catholic Church recognizes in other religions that search, among shadows and images, for the God who is unknown yet near since he gives life and breath and all things and wants all men to be saved. Thus, the Church considers all goodness and truth found in these religions as "a preparation for the Gospel and given by him who enlightens all men that they may at length have life."332

CCC 843
http://www.vatican.va/archive/ENG0015/__P29.HTM

3 Likes

This helps tremendously! Thank you very much God Bless!

2 Likes

You’re welcome!

1 Like

Just to add to what is pretty much completed from above :slight_smile:

We all have a common ancestor who actually knew God, and “walked” with Him. When they fell, their children would still have the memory of their fathers. There would then be a branching, those who remained loyal to God and made a name for God, and those who broke off, and made a name for themselves (see genesis, it will actually say those words).

However, because they still have the teachings, they will still at least have an element of that truth. As generations go on, both sides would degrade in terms of truth. Those who lived under the covenant would receive prophets to lead them back, because the prophets spoke for God. Those who did not live in the covenant would have no prophets from God, so they would keep deviating.

It is in this way that all religions and groups maintain some element of truth, while not keeping all of it, and it is in this way that the elements of the truth maintained could validly be inculturated into the worship, for that particular culture.

But anyways, that is why we can see some similarities.

4 Likes

Thank you!

What about the objections that the prophecies in the Old Testament about the coming messiah, hell, and the last judgement are merely Zoroastrianism concepts entered Judaism and Christianity. Are there reasons to object that the Bible writings prophecising the messiah were written after Zoroaster’s teachings? Or that Zoroaster’a teachings about the last judgement and hell influenced the New Testament? Could God have used the Truths is the messiah last judgement and hell to influence Christianity?

What do the Zoroastrian scriptures teach about the messiah?

Zoroaster is attributed as to have had a virgin birth. However, Zoroaster taught about the struggle between good and evil and the last judgement

Do you by chance have anything other than that history book that says this? :slight_smile:

I ask because a lot of people that claim we borrowed from someone else aren’t using first or second hand sources, but a modern day scholar’s interpretation of it. I’ve heard several things about this, and when you look it up you will see that it doesn’t exist outside of a modern book, or was misunderstood/stretched :slight_smile:

Is that all? Is there nothing else at all in the Zoroastrian religion from which the Old Testament authors might have drawn their ideas about the Messiah?

Which particular Messiah would that be?

The only messiah, Christ :slight_smile:

I blame Zoroastrianism for all those angels and demons.

I’d have thought Cyrus (an anointed one, ie Messiah) a likely candidate from a Zoroastrian point of view.

Any of them! All of them! The OP seemed to suggest that the idea of the Messiah in the Jewish scriptures was derived from Zoroastrian teaching.

The concept of ‘Messiah’ (anointed one) isn’t precise, in its general sense, it involved anybody ‘anointed’.

There is a difference between “an anointed one” and “The Anointed
One” :slight_smile:

Even all of my Jewish friends believe there will be a “The Anointed One“ :slight_smile:

Except in Hebrew it wouldn’t be “The Anointed One,” it’d be “THE ANOINTED ONE.” Given the lack of lower case letters.

All of them? You’re absolutely sure of that?

This is what I’m hoping the OP will explain.

@jeanluc, in your post #27 you seem to be suggesting that, according to your unnamed textbook, the Jewish concept of the Messiah is in some way derived from Zoroastrian teachings. What, exactly, does your book say about this?

Please give the title and author of the book, and a page reference.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.