Zoroastrianism is a threat?

My history professor today told us about how Zoroastrianism is a threat to Christianity and Judaism because it shares so much in common with them and at the same time is a precursor religion. He basically believes Judaism came out Zoroastrianism and that it also helped shape the Christian doctrines. Could this be possible?

It is possible from an academic standpoint. Professors who study world religions try to make connections between world religions in this way. Zoroastrianism has a savior god. This, and a couple of other points are why students of world religions try to make the case that Christianity borrowed from it. I’m actually surprised that there are not more world religions with savior gods in the form of Jesus. Every culture has always desired a savior, a hero to redeem us from our sins and save us from evil. The Catholic Church has always recognized that all religions have some truth in them. To me, the doctrines and beliefs of Zoroastrianism confirm the need of a savior, and prove therefore that that is what mankind really desires. The universal desire for salvation can be seen as a proof for the reality of our Savior

I find the theory interesting, and it does NOT lessen my faith or the authenticity of Christianity, that one or all of the magi were Zoroastrian. Their seeking of the True King and the theory that they brought the Jewish people back to ONE God gives their religion respect and gives ours an added dimension.

A very discerning and enlightened post, IMHO.

Isn’t Zoroastrianism a religion of the Medes and Persians? I would think their religion was swayed by Jewish influence rather than vice-versa since the end of captivity saw many Jewish people esteemed into high standing within that civilization. eg Esther, Mordecai, Ezra, Nehemiah.

I don’t think any one religion is a threat per se, but I must admit, I’ve never heard of Zoroastrianism! It certainly isn’t a very common religion.

They'll have to get in line at my front door behind the Mormons and the Jehovah's Witnesses!

[quote="mcrts, post:6, topic:325948"]
I don't think any one religion is a threat per se, but I must admit, I've never heard of Zoroastrianism! It certainly isn't a very common religion.

[/quote]

[quote="Tarpeian_Rock, post:7, topic:325948"]
They'll have to get in line at my front door behind the Mormons and the Jehovah's Witnesses!

[/quote]

Zoroastrians, as a rule, do not seek converts. Their menbership mostly comes from within the family. So do not expect them in line at your door. Do read about them. They are a very interesting religious group that has often had to migrate for their religious freedom.

Interestingly Freddie Mercury of the band Queen had Zoroastrian parents.

In another part of the world, Krishna in Hinduism is another saviour and an interesting name as well.

Pax+

[quote="FrancisBenedict, post:9, topic:325948"]
Interestingly Freddie Mercury of the band Queen had Zoroastrian parents.

[/quote]

:)

Plus he was born in Zanizabar. You don't run into Zanzibar-born Zoroastrians everyday!

As far as Zoroastrianism being a threat, no way. It's an old religion with a relatively small number of followers. People don't just suddenly change their faith, especially for a religion that doesn't actively pursue others to change their faith.

Yes true

And i dont think its a threat at all,its has a very small number of followers. Hopefully God comes to them in their own way.God has ways beyond our knowledge.

PAX+

[quote="TheWarriorMonk, post:10, topic:325948"]

Plus he was born in Zanizabar. You don't run into Zanzibar-born Zoroastrians everyday!

As far as Zoroastrianism being a threat, no way. It's an old religion with a relatively small number of followers. People don't just suddenly change their faith, especially for a religion that doesn't actively pursue others to change their faith.

[/quote]

Not to mention for a religion most Westerners have never even heard of...

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.