Zucchini

Does anyone know how to put up zucchini preserves in olive oil? My mother-in-law, who was from Italy, used to do that, but she has passed away, and I don’t know the recipe. By the way, does anyone know any other creative recipes for zucchini? The crop from our garden is coming in now. I have 6 of them already, and there are more growing out there.

foodnetwork.com/recipes/jamie-oliver/beautiful-zucchini-carbonara-recipe/index.html

My favorite is some good Zucchini bread.

allrecipes.com/Recipe/Moms-Zucchini-Bread/Detail.aspx

I am overrun with zucchini.
some are bigger than my baby.
My kids cry becuase I seve it everynight with dinner.
They are scarred!
My best recipe is to leave it on a doorstep, ring the bell and run!!!

I wish you’d leave all your extra zuke on my doorstep :smiley: This is just the first page of what you can do with zucchini. It’s 33 pages long.

goneraw.com/search/node/zucchini%20type%3Arecipe

:thumbsup:

Ooh you can leave some on my doorstep too. I miss things like zucchini bread, zucchini quiche, even fried zucchini, it is good in any tomato based sauce, and excellent in soups. My mother freezes it now so she can make these things over the winter.

Though I do remember one fatefull summer when my mother would stay up until 2am looking for zucchini recipes. We ate zucchini pancakes, zuchinni crisp, along with fried zucchini every night :ehh: Let me tell you, not the best of summers, I sympathize with your children. :wink:

I used to put up a lot of vegetables. Zucchini was one thing I tried just because I wanted to see how it would turn out, but I never did it again because the skins got so tough in the canning process. I have never heard of canning anything in olive oil! It would sure be an expensive treatment for humble zucchini, not to mention turning a low fat treat into a high fat one. But perhaps the oil is the only way to soften the skin which toughens in the pressure canner. (Do you have a pressure canner? Because of lot of vegetables requre pressure vs. hot water canning).

I have heard the best thing do for preserving is put it in breads, and freeze the breads. Because it doesn’t freeze well, at least not when I tried it. Perhaps you can shred it and freeze it in quart bags for later recipes - soups and breads - after removing the air? I haven’t tried that though.

And have a lot of zuchini dinners now. :slight_smile: I slice and quick toss with some fresh basil in a pan with bit of heated olive oil, add a dash or red pepper sauce, sea salt and fresh gound pepper, and top with some shredded peccorino romano while its still hot.

I used to make a chocolate zucchini cake. (I lost the recipe along with other stuff during an earthquake). It tastes really good–for some reason, it has the taste of coconut, but there isn’t coconut in it.

You might be able to freeze grated zucchini if you have one of those vacuumn (sp.?) sealers that suck all the air out. I use them for freezing bananas and they work pretty good.

I am not sure if my parents use a vacuum sealer or not, but they freeze both shredded and chopped zucchini, depending on what they want to use it for.

I’m just curious, what do you use zucchini preserves for? What do they taste like…?

Since my mother-in-law was from southern Italy, I suppose it’s a Southern Italian specialty. I remember her serving it along with other items of antipasto. It tasted okay, if I remember correctly. (The poor woman suffered a stroke about 15 months after I married her son, and then she spent the next 11 years in a wheelchair, unable to speak, so I wan’t able to get the recipe.)

Zucchini Soup

3 cups of diced zucchini

2 strips of bacon ~ diced

2 cups of beef stock (2 bullion cubes and 2 cups of water)

1 small onion ~ chopped

1 bud of garlic ~ chopped

1/2 teaspoon basil

2 tablespoons of chopped fresh parsley (or 2 teaspoons dried parsley)

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/2 teaspoon seasoning salt

a dash of pepper

Cook ingredients until zucchini is soft ~ use a potato masher to breakup zucchini.
Serve with parmesan cheese on top of soup.

Enjoy

(this recipe makes about 3 small bowls of soup (about 4 or 5 cups). You may want to double this recipe).

Zucchini Pie

1 tube of Pillsbury Crescent Rolls

4 cups zucchini ~ sliced thin

1 cup chopped onion ~ corse

1/2 cup margarine or butter

1/2 cup chopped parsley

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/2 teaspoon pepper

1/4 teaspoon of sweet basil, oregano and garlic powder

Saute zucchini, onion and parsley in butter with seasoning and let cool.

2 eggs- beaten

8 oz. mozzarella cheese (2 cups grated)

Spread crust with Grey Poupon mustard, combine ingredients in crust (stir first)

Bake at 375 for 18 ~ 20 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes to cool.

Zucchini Boat

Mid-Size Zucchini Pre-Heat ovan to 400 degrees

Split zucchini in half ~ carve out center (save the insides in a bowl).

1/2 cup water into a lipped platter (lipped baking sheet will work too) put zucchini half side down onto the platter, cook for 10 minutes.

Pan fry insides of zucchini with olive oil, sausage (about 5 links ~ Jimmy Dean breakfast sausage or any other meat) garlic and onion (to taste) and shredded carrot (1 carrott) for 5 minutes.

Add one egg to the pan fry mixture and add bread crumbs or cracker crumbs (to taste).

Remove zucchini from oven and stuff the “Boat” (zucchini) with the mixture and put cheese (any kind you wish) on top.

Bake in oven for 10 minutes at 400 degrees.

Enjoy

closed #14

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.